• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2006 SX230 non HO with no spark

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I worked on the boat over the weekend and found that I have no spark at the coils. Both clean out switches were removed at some point and the wires are wire nutted together, I have checked the lanyard switch and that is working correctly. Anyone have any ideas of what may be the issue?

I have the YDS software and the correct service manual ordered but they probably will not be here until next week.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
weird, I thought the switch created contact to stop the engine. (or was that lanyard only) might be worth testing with the wires not nutted together while you wait.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
are you sure you did not short a wire out and blow a fuse

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I thought that if the contacts were open the engine would not turn over, I will try it with the wires disconnected. I have checked all the fuses that I know of.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Check if there are 3 cables or just 2. One set may need to be connected, the other not. Sorry I'm shooting from the hip best to check the manual on how to test that switch.

EDIT: Don't bother, there should be 2 according to the 2007 manual. Here's the diagram..OR, I don't fully get it, but I read there are 4 wires related to this switch. Someone with more experience reading these may be able to get it, but I read it as, When hatch open white and black touch, but when closed Br and Br touch?
CropperCapture[27].png

Best of luck!

Last edited:

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There are 4 wires that went to each switch, 2 browns, 1 white and 1 black. looking at what they did makes no sense now that I am looking at it. The 2 browns for each switch are spliced together and the white wires from each switch are spliced and the same for the 2 blacks. If I remember correctly from my Exciter the browns made when the switch was down and the white and black made when the switch was up.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
With a hack like this, they are splicing to pretend the hatch is down. It would seem that is the right combination per the diagram. white and black far apart, and brown together. so this "hack" may be OK (except it might chop someone's hand if somebody cranks the engine with someone's arm down there...)

the other item to check is the safety lanyard. This is sometimes reason for the problem you are describing.

(One way to test is to unplug it, as it is supposed to makes contact when the lanyard is out, and do nothing when the lanyard is inserted)

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It definitely is defeating the purpose of the switches, They should not have tied the 2 whites and 2 blacks together but I would not think that is the problem. I checked the safety lanyard switches and they are operating correctly.

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have read about the ECU's causing problems with the injectors but nothing on weather anyone has had a issue with them causing ignition problems.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So far ignition issues I have read about (Mine included in a no-start situation) was the the lanyard, not the ECU.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
One other idea... check continuity on the White to Black wire pair at the key switch while the key is not in the OFF position. (With no power on the boat) While the lanyard is on and the "hatch" is closed. If there is connectivity here, something is conspiring to kill the ignition. (Number 5 on the wiring diagram)

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'll check that tonight after work. I bought a 2005 HO service manual originally thinking it would close enough and it was less money but apparently some of the wiring colors are different on a 2006. That's what I get for trying to save $50😩.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Brad_Ct Here is an A.Y.B.C wiring color code that boats are supposed to be wired by.

Screenshot_20190107-112534_Adobe Acrobat.jpg 20190107_112803.jpgScreenshot_20190107-112452_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

And the USCG https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.uscgboating.org/regulations/assets/builders-handbook/ELECTRICAL.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjLoK_hm7HhAhXRnuAKHeHoD0wQFjAHegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw3rH7rbFWregsSi48RDxjyt&cshid=1554201948886
I dont know if any of this will help you trace wiring runs, but I have noticed , on my 07, that some wiring, mainly pigtails hard wired to electrical stuff, starts out as one color and changes to another, conforming to the color code.

Last edited:

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It runs!! Got thinking about it this morning and with both the black and white wires tied together it was connecting both shut down circuits and because the starboard ignition switch was in the off position it was making the circuit to shut it off. Disconnected and safed of the wires and it started.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
NICE!!!!!!! wonder if both were on ON, then it would start? And if you shut one, it would kill both?

Glad it's running!!!!!!

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That is exactly what it was doing. Thanks for the ideas on what to look at, sometimes talking about things gets you thinking about other avenues. Now to see if I can get the other engine freed up.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did you pull the pumps yet?

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes the pumps are off

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Best of luck. Perhaps some of oil via the spark plug holes and cranking with no plugs before doing anything too crazy? It would sure be sweet to get it running without opening the engine.

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The other engine has had marvel mystery oil in the cylinders since last fall and still won’t budge, one plug is broken in the head so it has to come apart anyway.