• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2007-2009 SX/AR230 -- Is it me or are they getting more expensive?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had an ' 06 sx230ho and "upgraded to a ' 10 242 Ls. They say that hindsight is 20/20, well in my case it's true and cost me $20k (at least) to figure it out. In retrospect, If I had an '07 to '09 I wouldn't have moved to a 242. The 160 hp mr1 engines were fully refined by the later years and the newest 230s had a head compartment, so IMHO they had the best of both, that is the refined engines and deck layout. The newer boats have a few unique features like GPS speedos, bow ladders and above wake speed cruise control as well as an estimated 20 more hp per engine but the first 242s had an msrp of $49k over $10k more than its predessor the 232ls but they didn't carry anymore passengers and really didn't perform any better. Now the 240 sx has an msrp of $52k and the top of line 242 is $71k. In light of the above I totally understand why an '07 to '09 230 is more desire able than a 240 and why they hold their value but I suspect that an '09 230 will still be cheaper than a '10 240. Buying a '10 with the 1.8s is a bit of a gamble where the oil coolers are concerned.

Anyway, if you are looking at a 230 or a 210 and don't have access to a yds system do your self a favor and pay to have the boat taken into the dealer or pwc shop that can read the hours on the engines. Low hours is a relative term but I think 50 hours per year of age is a good starting point. In addition to reading the hours, my dealer, for $40 per engine, also gave me prints outs reflecting if the engines, since they were put into service, threw any warning like over heats and when. Don't forget to do the visual inspections described above but above all take it for a drive if at all possible even if you have to give the seller a non refundable deposit. You can't tell if a boat will cavitate by running the engines on a trailer and just because the engines start while the boat is on the trailer doesn't mean it will start when it's in the water when there is a load on the impellers.

The 19' Yamaha jet boats are a non starter for me but a lot of people here love them, others not so much and have taken a bath in order upgrade .
I think that @Ronnie put it best. There is so much great information in this thread - reminds me why I love this forum! Thank you, guys, this is an amazing resource.
I was at the local boat show today (St. Charles, MO), and oh my God, these dealers do not know all that much about their products...

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think that @Ronnie put it best. There is so much great information in this thread - reminds me why I love this forum! Thank you, guys, this is an amazing resource.
I was at the local boat show today (St. Charles, MO), and oh my God, these dealers do not know all that much about their products...
This was something I agree with most of the people I talked to at dealerships last year knew very little about their product. I still will not forget at a boat show there was a dealer that had a few 2014 model 24ft boats there and proceeded to tell me the only difference between the 14 and 15 24ft boat was connext and a higher price. I said no it was a whole new hull 6 inches longer with a higher freeboard and I was basically told I was incorrect and didn't know what I was talking about.