• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2008 WaveRunner troubles

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A compression test can fool you. A real test is a cylinder leak down test. If there is a problem area it will narrow it down
How so? My take is if there compression is good, there is no need to leak down. If the compression is bad, do a leak down. The leak down is a bigger pain. Tdc on compression for every cylinder. Even when i did my leak down it was hard to tell where where the air was escaping.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How so? My take is if there compression is good, there is no need to leak down. If the compression is bad, do a leak down. The leak down is a bigger pain. Tdc on compression for every cylinder. Even when i did my leak down it was hard to tell where where the air was escaping.
Compression test uses a check valve in the hose allowing the ring compression to pump up the gauge. Showing your rings only are possibly good.
In using leak down you can find a leaking valve or gasket etc..
As much as a pia it is to do is the only sure fire way to find out if all is sound.
I have seen numerous times where compression test passed great but failed leak down. Usually a head gasket or exhaust valve.
When you set the gauge at its 100%, then attach to the cylinder if the reading drops and you have it at tdc with valves closed then you just use a stethoscope to listen in the intake, exjaust, and dipstick tube.
If no stethoscope you use a long screwdriver to your ear
I can say with 100% certainly that you can have a compression pass and leak down fail result

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Won't a valve or gasket leak fail to produce proper compression? I think it also depends on what % you consider failing. I could see 10, maybe even 20 still building compression, but not ideal. My bad cylinder was leaking 50%, but still made 100psi, half of cylinder 1 and 4. I see what your staying, but that's probably not bad enough to cause a miss.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have seen it cause a miss on at least 5 cylinder head problems all with exhaust valves leaking.
I am not saying its the problem here but it is a possibility. A proper leak down result will rule this out.
YES a bad valve or gasket can still give you a positive compression reading.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
run it in the lake again. Give it a chance to burn off that seafoam you added.

Midnight2V

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Something to look at is the engine electrical harness connector to the #3 coil. It's entirely possible there is an intermittent electrical fault in the connector due to a badly landed or partially pulled out wire. Its a possibility on virtually all coil-on-plug platforms, automobile, boat, or PWC...and it typically occurs during a plug change when someone puts just a little too much force on the connector wires while disconnecting the coil from the harness. If that was the case, you could switch coils between cylinders and the coil previously on #3 would fire just fine on any other cylinder.

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
I’m going to try switching coils from my other ski and see what happens. If that doesn’t work, swap ecu from other. If still not working I’m taking it to the shop. I’m going to lake tomorrow for a week and was hoping to bring skis along. I guess it’s just the boat this time and skis will have to wait. Thanks for advice.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
As a last resort try switching the rectifiers between skis. Hopefully it’s not the ecu ($1,200 new, $500 used). Rectifiers are around $70.

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Okay. Update. Took ski to Yamaha dealer. Tech said exhaust was loose and could be causing the problem. Ski sounded great and he doesn’t think there is an issue. Says take it home and run it. Well, still low power. No difference at all. I took the ecu from my other ski and swapped them. Other ski ran fine with ecu so that is not the problem. I notice that when I open the gas tank for the poor performing ski that it make a big whoosh sound compared the the ski that runs well. Could there be a fuel pressure issue? I pulled plugs and they all looked ok this time. All spark when I crank engine. Should I try to pull fuel filter out of tank? Where is rectifier located. I can try switching it out with other one. Yamaha dealer is over an hour away and not terribly impressed with them. Would love to solve this myself. I wonder if it’s fuel starved. I’ve gotten better advice from this forum than greenhulk.

Midnight2V

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A whoosh like a vent out or a suck in? Try running the ski with the cap cracked open. If your gas tank is pulling a vacuum it could be a clogged tank vent. That could fuel starve the engine. If it is pressurized, it could cause a rich condition.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Greenhulk seems to only be interested in high performance upgraded skis. Not much interest in helping folks with stock ski problems and advice

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A bad rectifier just won't charge your battery. If you are seeing 14v at higher RPM, then it's not that.

I'm not aware of any history of bad ECUs with the VXs, only with certain years of HO motors.

Check:

(a) Check fuel pressure either with a fuel pressure gauge or by swapping the sending unit from the other ski's fuel tank. Not an easy job due to limited vertical space. Also be careful of the fuel level sender arm. You must wriggle the sending unit sideways to get it out of the tank.

Keep in mind with good fuel pressure, you can still have a flow problem at higher RPM. Swapping with a known good unit will tell for sure.

(b) Swap all four injectors with the working ski. (Easiest to just swap the entire rail/fuel hose assembly.)

-Greg

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
I’ve swapped injectors and no change. I’ll check to see if it’s a vacuum or pressure tonight.

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
How hard is it to get to the vent? Do I have to pull the fuel tank out?

Midnight2V

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I recommend simply cracking open the fuel fill cap so that it isn't air tight and run the ski. If it is still running bad, it's not the vent line, that will save you the trouble of having to chase it down for nothing if it turns out not to be the issue. If it runs great, then you know you've found the issue and you can focus directly on it.

I missed the posts about seafoam being used. If you haven't burned all of your seafoam laced gas off, you need to make it a point to do so since it can potentially cause your engine to run poorly all on its own. If the plug isn't getting wetted anymore, you might be chasing a ghost at this point.

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Seafoam should be burned off. Gonna try cracking gas cap before I pull things apart. I will also switch rectifiersa and batteries just to eliminate that as a possibility. Thanks for advice.