• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2008 Yamaha AR230 or 2007 Ski Nautique 206LE

Melinda A

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi Everyone,

I am a first time boat owner and will be making a purchase this week. The two options are a 2008 Yamaha AR230 ($29,950K - with dual axle trailer included) or a 2007 Correct Craft Ski Nautique ($32K - no trailer)

I want a boat to accommodate 7 people comfortably, do wakeboarding and tubing with my two Sons (13 & 16) and just generally hang out on the lakes here in Austin.

I’d love all opinions and thoughts!! Thanks SO MUCH! 😁

Last edited:

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would go with the AR230 but that's what I've got and never had a Nautique It will handle 7 people with no issue. We wakeboard, ski, tube & kneeboard behind ours and we love it. Plenty of power, easy to work on, you can get into areas that other boats can't and it comes with a trailer for less money.
Does the AR have seadeck, tower speakers or any other add-ons?
How's the interiors of both boats?
The hulls in great shape with no oxidization or exposed fiberglass?
How old are the trailer tires, condition of bunk boards and do the trailer lights work?

There are so many variables that go into deciding between boats that it's hard to go one way or another without going to look at both.
Do you have any pics of the boats?

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree with Babin here, gotta know some of upgrades and specifics they both may have.. I also have an 08 AR230, had 4 kids and 6 adults on the boat the other day and seemed like everyone had plenty of room. Can fit quite a few on the back swim platform as well, which was one of the reasons why we bought the boat.. The head storage compartment is money when it comes to stowing everything away. The storage all around the entire boat in general is amazing. Could throw a few kids in that giant ski locker as well if I had to (JUST KIDDING). We ski, tube, and wakeboard just fine as well; getting a booster ball for the tow rope for the tube cuts down on that jet wash. Like Babin said, these boats are easy to work on, I wish I would’ve bought jet boat over my I/O initially. If you go with the jet you will have the forum as an endless resource as well!

Whichever one you go with just make sure you water test it well, look at all the buttons and features and make sure they work. Make sure you can get those clean out plugs on the Yamaha out and back in easy. Check the engine oil before and after the test. Make sure the bilge pump works. And whatever you buy post pics!

Melinda A

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would go with the AR230 but that's what I've got and never had a Nautique It will handle 7 people with no issue. We wakeboard, ski, tube & kneeboard behind ours and we love it. Plenty of power, easy to work on, you can get into areas that other boats can't and it comes with a trailer for less money.
Does the AR have seadeck, tower speakers or any other add-ons?
How's the interiors of both boats?
The hulls in great shape with no oxidization or exposed fiberglass?
How old are the trailer tires, condition of bunk boards and do the trailer lights work?

There are so many variables that go into deciding between boats that it's hard to go one way or another without going to look at both.
Do you have any pics of the boats?
Hey Good morning!

Wow - great feedback - thank you!!!

Yes, the AR has a seadeck - love that feature!! Tower with speakers and bimini top. The Nautique also has a tower but could use new speakers and doesn't have a blue tooth adapter. The Nautique is kept in a slip with a lift so we could see all of the outer hull and there were cosmetic scratches - nothing all the way through. The AR is kept in a slip in the water so we couldn't see the bottom of the boat. The owner said b/c it's kept in the water there is algae but that he washes/wipes it down whenever he pulls it out. No oxidation or exposed fiberglass that we could see.
Interior is comparable on both boats. The Nautique has brand new upholstery on the trunk. The AR had two very small places where the seam was ripping - maybe an inch.

As for the AR trailer - it's kept at his business due to the boat being in a slip full time so we won't see that until we buy it. Although, I'm going to ask him those questions - thanks for posing them :)

Here are the Marketplace links to both for pics and more info :)

Brad460

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I wouldn’t buy either...$30k for a old jet boat or old ski boat?! No way...

Put that money towards something newer this fall or next year.

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Zipper has his for sale 🥲 but this would be what you could compare the upgrades to or just make the trip and buy it lol.

I would definitely want the AR230 completely out of the water before purchase to inspect the jet pumps and intakes, that’s where you’ll be able to see what shape the impellers are in. Starbrite hull cleaner will pretty much make the hull like new, you’ll just have to rewax it. The AR230 looks nice, but I would want the total hours on it as well if you haven’t gotten that already? The ski nautique is nice as well, I’m just not a fan of that middle part where the engine is that you’ll constantly walk around.. I would also definitely look at the trailer before buying, you never know what it may look like if it’s been sitting for awhile! Both are priced a bit high, so hopefully there is some wiggle room. Having ballast bags, lily pad, etc etc with the Yamaha does help because that stuff adds up quick.

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
That carpet on the nautical kills it for me ,no anchor locker min storage and the out drive.that said it sits low in the water so if the lake gets rough you will have a hard time navigating. And plan to spend an extra $2k on a trailer too. On the AR I know the market is crazy but it’s overpriced. I sold my 2007 ar230 ho 2 year ago for $19 well equipped but times have changed a bit. I would negotiate down to $25k

Melinda A

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree with Babin here, gotta know some of upgrades and specifics they both may have.. I also have an 08 AR230, had 4 kids and 6 adults on the boat the other day and seemed like everyone had plenty of room. Can fit quite a few on the back swim platform as well, which was one of the reasons why we bought the boat.. The head storage compartment is money when it comes to stowing everything away. The storage all around the entire boat in general is amazing. Could throw a few kids in that giant ski locker as well if I had to (JUST KIDDING). We ski, tube, and wakeboard just fine as well; getting a booster ball for the tow rope for the tube cuts down on that jet wash. Like Babin said, these boats are easy to work on, I wish I would’ve bought jet boat over my I/O initially. If you go with the jet you will have the forum as an endless resource as well!

Whichever one you go with just make sure you water test it well, look at all the buttons and features and make sure they work. Make sure you can get those clean out plugs on the Yamaha out and back in easy. Check the engine oil before and after the test. Make sure the bilge pump works. And whatever you buy post pics!

Good morning!

Hey, thanks for sharing your opinion/experience!!

I'm super grateful for the tips on what to check too! For these items: "Make sure you can get those clean out plugs on the Yamaha out and back in easy. Check the engine oil before and after the test. Make sure the bilge pump works." Would I take the boat to a marine mechanic to do all of this?

And you're right - this forum will be such a wealth of information!!! :)

Melinda A

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Zipper has his for sale 🥲 but this would be what you could compare the upgrades to or just make the trip and buy it lol.

I would definitely want the AR230 completely out of the water before purchase to inspect the jet pumps and intakes, that’s where you’ll be able to see what shape the impellers are in. Starbrite hull cleaner will pretty much make the hull like new, you’ll just have to rewax it. The AR230 looks nice, but I would want the total hours on it as well if you haven’t gotten that already? The ski nautique is nice as well, I’m just not a fan of that middle part where the engine is that you’ll constantly walk around.. I would also definitely look at the trailer before buying, you never know what it may look like if it’s been sitting for awhile! Both are priced a bit high, so hopefully there is some wiggle room. Having ballast bags, lily pad, etc etc with the Yamaha does help because that stuff adds up quick.
Zipper's boat is beautiful! That orange would go over well here in Austin! :D

Brilliant advice re: getting it out of the water to check the jet pumps and intakes. The total hours on the motor are 260. I will ask him if we can pull it out of the water this weekend (allows me to see the condition of the trailer) and then get it to 'someone' to check it out...I know of a mobile service guy but he said he's several weeks out - ugh! :)

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wouldn’t buy either...$30k for a old jet boat or old ski boat?! No way...

Put that money towards something newer this fall or next year.
The problem is that's what these boats are selling for now. I wouldn't let mine go for less than $30k right now. People are getting more for a 2019-2020 than they paid for them.

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
260 hours is great!

Tell the guy you’re buying it from to show you how to get the plugs out and back in, it can be done while on the water don’t be fooled if they say otherwise! The bilge pump just has a switch that the owner could show you as well and if the boat is off you can open the engine hatch and hear it run or trying to “sense” if there is any water. While the engine hatch is open the oil caps are on top towards the back of each engine just twist them off and they’ll have a dipstick. It should be at the Low level or even lower when cold, but after warmed up the engine oil should be near the Full line. And make sure the oil looks like oil and not like a chocolate milkshake!

Melinda A

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The problem is that's what these boats are selling for now. I wouldn't let mine go for less than $30k right now. People are getting more for a 2019-2020 than they paid for them.

--> EXACTLY! The boat market is like the housing market and the lumber market! CRAZY TOWN! :D

Melinda A

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
260 hours is great!

Tell the guy you’re buying it from to show you how to get the plugs out and back in, it can be done while on the water don’t be fooled if they say otherwise! The bilge pump just has a switch that the owner could show you as well and if the boat is off you can open the engine hatch and hear it run or trying to “sense” if there is any water. While the engine hatch is open the oil caps are on top towards the back of each engine just twist them off and they’ll have a dipstick. It should be at the Low level or even lower when cold, but after warmed up the engine oil should be near the Full line. And make sure the oil looks like oil and not like a chocolate milkshake!

AWESOME! Thanks for this! My Husband and I were on our hands and knees and half way in all of the storage spaces and engine compartment with flashlights! The actual oil caps, plugs, etc. weren't on our radar though. Overall the engine was really clean and out on the water it 'seemed' solid! :)

Melinda A

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That carpet on the nautical kills it for me ,no anchor locker min storage and the out drive.that said it sits low in the water so if the lake gets rough you will have a hard time navigating. And plan to spend an extra $2k on a trailer too. On the AR I know the market is crazy but it’s overpriced. I sold my 2007 ar230 ho 2 year ago for $19 well equipped but times have changed a bit. I would negotiate down to $25k

Great point - not much storage compared to the AR! The only trailer I've found so far for the Nautique was $5,500 or I would need to have one made for $6K - WTH?!? ;)
I will show up with cash in hand and see if I can negotiate him down. However, he showed the boat to someone else right before us and has several other interested parties. The market here for a boat is cray cray! :p

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Great point - not much storage compared to the AR! The only trailer I've found so far for the Nautique was $5,500 or I would need to have one made for $6K - WTH?!? ;)
I will show up with cash in hand and see if I can negotiate him down. However, he showed the boat to someone else right before us and has several other interested parties. The market here for a boat is cray cray! :p
That would make it a $40k boat , scratch the nautique

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
AWESOME! Thanks for this! My Husband and I were on our hands and knees and half way in all of the storage spaces and engine compartment with flashlights! The actual oil caps, plugs, etc. weren't on our radar though. Overall the engine was really clean and out on the water it 'seemed' solid! :)
This is how I got brand new clean out plugs from the dealer I bought from 😂😂 If you can’t get them out on this boat then that’s a really good bargaining chip. New plugs are over 400 a piece IF they are in stock, rebuild kits are much cheaper though if the plugs are still in decent shape.

Brad460

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes, well aware of that...this is why I rather wait to buy than get ripped off..The market will eventually cool down.

A hot market isn’t an excuse for a bad financial decision.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't think that we are going to see a significant decrease in used boat prices. The manufacturers are seeing what people are willing to pay for used boats and is all that is going to do is increase the pricing of new boats which keeps the prices of used high. They'll have some reasoning such as they can't find good help, have to pay a lot higher wages and just upgrades to each new model year as excuses for the higher MSRP.
I seen it with a truck I used to have. In 2002 it was worth $10k and in 2020 one in reasonably good shape was still worth $10k. That's what happens when a new truck similar to it is over $60k today but when it was drove off the lot in 1995 it was probably only $30k

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, well aware of that...this is why I rather wait to buy than get ripped off..The market will eventually cool down.

A hot market isn’t an excuse for a bad financial decision.
Totally agree with waiting, but most boat manufacturers are behind building new boats and the used boat market hasn’t always been that cheap either. Even if you wait until the off season I bet you’re only going to save around 3-5k because people will still compare their boat prices to what people paid recently, and that’s a big if people will sell then or wait until spring again.

Honestly if the OP can get that AR230 for around 26-27k at 260 hours I feel it’s a good deal with everything it comes with…Ya ya I know I’m not supposed to include the options and accessories into the price but everything adds up. Look at I/O boats that are similar, even prior to
Covid you got more bang for your buck with the jet boat. I spent 20k for mine, it has way more hours, still runs great but this is what I had to purchase after buying the boat: swim platform seadek ($400), bimini ($750), tube, booster ball, and wakeboard ($650), lily pad 7x20 ($700), tower speakers and amp ($500), charger ($100), Bumpers/rope/box anchor ($350), GPS chartplotter ($550),and other misc things I’m sure I’m forgetting. Easily probably invested $4-5k into the boat before we even got it on the water 😂😂

It does look like prices are cooling off somewhat recently, but like Babin said, prices will only continue to go up. At this rate I’ll have to save for 10 years before I buy brand new 🤣🤣