• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2012 Yamaha SX210 - smoke from exhaust from Port engine

markrona

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I checked some older posts but could not find a similar issue. I just put my boat in the water after winter and just had oil change and new plugs. The engines sounded a bit rough, but I have noticed that in the past, some stuff in the intake that usually passes through and it clears up, but when I pushed the throttle forward to about 6krpm, my port engine revved higher to about 8k, I came off the throttle and noticed a trail of smoke and had a burning oil smell. I realize it could be many things but wanted to check w the forum to see what I should be looking for? Seemed to just be the port. Yamaha sx210, 2012, 295 hours. No previous issues, no alarms. Thanks

Acard7

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oil level okay? Didn’t overfill it? Do you treat your fuel with stabil or other stuff for winter storage? And do you fog the cylinders when you winterize?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
What temp was the water - steam from the rear of the boat in colder water isn't unusual or anything to worry about.

markrona

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Oil level okay? Didn’t overfill it? Do you treat your fuel with stabil or other stuff for winter storage? And do you fog the cylinders when you winterize?
I did not check the oil level yesterday but will. Fuel not treated but did fog the cylinders. I actually had a Yamaha dealer do the oil change because I had to change the transducer - that was to fix a N2K comms issue.

markrona

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What temp was the water - steam from the rear of the boat in colder water isn't unusual or anything to worry about.
63 degrees in Lake WA - Seattle. It wasn’t steam, had a faint blue/gray look. That was at about 6-7krpm and we were going about 20mph. It was just the one engine and smelled. If it wasn’t oil level, I was wondering about port clean out because it was revving higher which it has never done. Thanks both of you for responding. I can’t get back to boat until Thursday but will update the post. Right now I am thinking oil level, port clean out, head gasket.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
If it continues to do it when you're out next time, do a compression check to make sure you don't have bad rings. Check your air filter too to make sure it's not full of oil.

Acard7

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Run your engines on the hose for 15-20 minutes each to burn off the fogging oil is my suggestion. Gonna guess your boat hasn’t burned it all off if that was the first time you ran it. Checking the oil level would be good since you never know with the dealer doing the service.

markrona

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You guys nailed it, it was fog. Smoked a lot at start up but ran it for 15 minutes and most burned off. Oil was filled to top but I don’t think that has anything to do with it now. Thanks all! Case closed for now. Really appreciate it.

Acard7

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oil filled to the top? I hope you meant to the top “full line” lol! Overfilling the oil will cause engine issues as well!

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You guys nailed it, it was fog. Smoked a lot at start up but ran it for 15 minutes and most burned off. Oil was filled to top but I don’t think that has anything to do with it now. Thanks all! Case closed for now. Really appreciate it.
The oil may not have anything to do with it now, but you may find a slight loss of power at that oil level. If it feels "less than" compared to past experience, I'd immediately remove some oil, check the air filter to see if it has any oil (swap it out if it does), and see how it operates after that.

Like spark plugs, it's eery how sensitive these boats are to oil levels and small changes in the spark plugs