• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2013 ar210.... Max speed is 37mph, and max rpm is 7900... normal???

Tdunne

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I have been out a grand total of 3 times since purchasing the boat new.... did the break in per spec... and in the words of a great race drive...ricki bobbi, now "I wanna go fast." I have read where the ar 192s are hitting speeds of 49 and 50... makes me jealous as my max speed is 36 to 37, any suggestions?? is it the altitude??

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
That sounds about 10 mph or so slow. Is the 37 mph you mention off of your Speedo or GPS? I see you are in Montana, it could be the altitude, maybe someone who lives in a higher altitude can chime in and say if that is a probability,

Tdunne

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That sounds about 10 mph or so slow. Is the 37 mph you mention off of your Speedo or GPS? I see you are in Montana, it could be the altitude, maybe someone who lives in a higher altitude can chime in and say if that is a probability,
the speed is off my speedo... what about the rpms?

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I'm not 100% on the Rpms of your motors, I have a 2001 ls2000 with 2 stroke motors, they top out at 7000 rpms, I am almost sure the motors in yours should turn upwards of 8000 Rpms, I will tag someone who knows what your motors should turn for Rpms, @txav8r Any ideas about the Rpms and top speed on this boat??

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I don't know what the new 210's turn or run, but they are slower than the other boats. The older 210's probably did around 40-42mph depending on surface conditions, bimini up/down, wind, elevation, and load. If you were loaded up, bimini up, higher elevation, etc., it could be on the money. At higher elevations, your RPM and speed will suffer. @jawsf16 had a 210 I think, but it was an older one. My recommendation is to wait a bit and see if anyone with a newer 210 replies. It isn't far off the mark if any of the above conditions were high. Now that I see your in Billings, your high altitude...that will do it. If it is too slow, you may want to look into solas impellers designed for higher elevations. It is all a trade off. You don't have the horsepower to overcome, and all engines/boats/airplanes/cars/trucks suffer at higher elevations compared to sea level performance. And you will never see what sea level operators report, no matter what impellers you have. So make a decision on what you want. Either out of the hole power, or speed, because a change in pitch on your impellers can only move in one direction from what you have now. A less pitch impeller will give you less hole shot, but it will spin freely with less resistance, and that will allow the boat to speed up a tad. An impeller with more pitch, takes a better bite, and will get out of the hole quicker, but the additional drag from the steeper pitch will slow your top speed down even more. If you can live with it, the 210 is a great boat...but it will suffer more and faster as the elevation climbs. But at just over 3100', you are not all that high, but it is enough on an already underpowered boat. Don't get me wrong, when I say underpowered, it just isn't a high output 320HP 230...or the 360HP 240. Even the single engine 190 would suffer up there, but they offer the gas guzzling 192 that is supercharged that would do well at elevations above you. I know this sounds like the bearer of bad news, I am sorry. If you just can't live with it, consider a high output model or the solas impellers designed for higher elevations. But I do want to reinterate, if your running at 3100', then that is not all that high. And you won't suffer all that much, but you will be less than sea level 210s. Jaws! A little help here!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@JC6275 ... he is at high elevation. That completely changes expectations and reality. Especially on the 210 lineup. I honestly don't know the new engines on the 210 line. But it was 110HP per side until 2009. I can't imagine that they increased it to 160HP per side when the 240 has only 360 per side. Something is off. Being 3' shorter and lighter the 210 would end up being the same as the 212 used to be with the MR-1. That just isn't the case. The 212 btw, is the same engines at the 240/242 and is the rocket ship of the fleet. The 210 is the most underpowered next to the 190. The 192 is supercharged and the most altitude capable, but it is a gas guzzler compared to all others.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
And while the 210 is using 1052cc engines, they are not high output, and I am pretty sure they don't generate 320HP...I think they are still 220HP total HP.

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I see @txav8r I was going by the article if it is 110 per side that would make more since with what he is getting out of it.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Let's bring @jdonalds into the conversation. He has an '06 210. Again, I don't know the rating on the 2013's, and Yamaha doesn't spec HP, they spec displacement only. But other test agencies rate the HP and publish it. John, a guy above 3100' elevation or higher...what kind of speed and rpm will he get on a "non" HO MR-1? And what actual engine is in the newer 210's? Is it comparable? I only want to help you determine if this is normal @Tdunne .

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Let's bring @jdonalds into the conversation. He has an '06 210. Again, I don't know the rating on the 2013's, and Yamaha doesn't spec HP, they spec displacement only. But other test agencies rate the HP and publish it. John, a guy above 3100' elevation or higher...what kind of speed and rpm will he get on a "non" HO MR-1? And what actual engine is in the newer 210's? Is it comparable? I only want to help you determine if this is normal @Tdunne .
Yea good question Mel. I've used the boat at 2,400 ft elevation max and was able to hit about 42 as I remember.

I get about 8,000-8,100 rpm on both engines. Boating these days is at about 1,000 ft elevation. I also boat at 1,200 ft elevation. I don't notice any real difference in rpm's or top speed across this range - from 1,000 ft to 2,400 ft that is.

The only time I've seen max of around 37mph is with the boat heavily loaded.

As far as I know the engines haven't changed between my 2006 and the 2013 SX210.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
AR210 has 110 hp each engine, but should still hit mid 40's.
If you are at high elevation, the engine can't breathe as well, and the impellers need less pitch. Talk to Impros or Island racing and they should be able to help you out there.
In the meantime, try pulling your filters to see if that helps the engine breath a little better.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Check your air filters and spark plugs. Some have over serviced those engines, which are the 1052 (110hp motors) and have a dry sump. This means you check the oil when the motor is hot, not cold. If the oil was overserviced then you could have oil in the filters and could be robbing power. I have never heard of a 210 only turning 6700 rpm. That seems really low.

I would think you'd be getting 40-45 mph and turning around 8500-9000 rpm if all systems were normal.

jdiaz78

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Axis
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I had this problem last year with the low rpms and it was a spark plug that wasn't seated all the way. I'd check that first and then maybe go back to the dealer. As far as top speed I think I got 40 m.p.h. before, but I'm normally only getting 36-37 max with 6 people on board at wide open throttle.

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I can chime in on my older 210, 2007 vintage, but I am near sea level too. My engines run about 8400 (with new Iridium plugs). This will get me about 47-50 mph depending on the tail wind, load, etc. Typical is in the 45 mph range. I have not experience at other altitudes to help there though

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My 210 was about 8200 rpm and about 45 mph max at 1000'. It took a while for that last 5 mph and the boat was not weighed down. Montana has high elevation and if the boat was loaded down that could be your problem. Also your speedo could be off. I would check the air filters for oil, check the oil, and then run it with iphone GPS speedo. If you still get low numbers, change the spark plugs and try again.

Your numbers are not absurdly low for,your boat and elevation. An HO motor would perform much better at the higher elevations but still suffers from the thin air performance.

MNdrifter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 2013 SX210. Same boat as yours except for the wakeboard tower. I was only seeing 38mph at 8200rpm at 1000' right after breakin. Now I'm up to 26 hours and I have seen up to 41mph on gps.
I wonder how much water temp affects speed. We were on the water very early in the season. Water temp was less than 60deg. Now water is up to 73deg.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I wouldn't imagine water temp being a factor. Air temp and humidity yes. Maybe your boat picked up some speed once the engines were nicely broken in.

Tdunne

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have to apologize....was really late when I got home last night, max rpm is 7900.... sorry, typo! I guess I was so focused on the other articles about speed that I didn't catch the blip. The boat was loaded 3/4 with fuel, 3 adults and a small dog, bimini top up, water calm or just slightly rippled. max speed 37mph, will try and check with my gps but phone reception is non existent, its Montana, we still have party lines in places!!