• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2013 ar210.... Max speed is 37mph, and max rpm is 7900... normal???

Tdunne

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Let's face it, the 210 is under powered and greatly effected by elevation. I picked up my 210 back in march and have been fighting this issue every since. I do boat at elevation and on it's best day I could get 35 and 7100 rpm's. It was also a dog out of the hole and if loaded up and pulling a tube sometimes it wouldn't even get on plane. I was PISSED, and ready to sale the boat. Last night had my first test with high elevation solars impellers from impro's. Still no speed demon, but much, much, much better. I boated at 5000' last night, with 6 in the boat, also pulling a tube and it's a different animal now. I'm getting 8100 rpm's now and 37, and it's doing it quickly now. Did on run by my self and got 42 on speedo and 39 on GPS.
Did it cost a lot, YEP. $590. But now I'm willing to keep the boat for a while. You can't beat the layout of this boat. Just love it. Maybe one day I'll have the money to upgrade to the 212.
Tell me about these impellers.... were they hard to install?? Did you know what you wanted?..... I am intrigued!

vt650

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Tell me about these impellers.... were they hard to install?? Did you know what you wanted?..... I am intrigued!
I didn't know what I wanted. I called Impro's, talked to Dave (that's who answers), and told him the elevation that I boat, and about my boat. He told me what to get, but didn't tell me the pitch. Just that they would custom pitch them to the right elevation.
And no it wasn't hard to do. You can find enough write up's to do it. You will need the tool, but Dave shipped that also. $600 roughly. Whole new boat on the bottom end. If you want top end, buy a different boat. (212ss).
To get the old ones off, I used a great big vice and a 4 foot cheater. (came right off).

DoubleThrust

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I think I'm going to get some of those 90 MPH impellers for the 212s

;)

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I don't care what kind of boat you have, at 5000', you lose performance big time! Unless it is super/turbocharged! Even then, it can't make sea level performance. Changing the impeller is a good start for this, but just be aware, if you go from higher elevations down to sea level, save the original impellers and change them back...or you won't like the loss of performance down low with higher altitude parts.

vt650

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't care what kind of boat you have, at 5000', you lose performance big time! Unless it is super/turbocharged! Even then, it can't make sea level performance. Changing the impeller is a good start for this, but just be aware, if you go from higher elevations down to sea level, save the original impellers and change them back...or you won't like the loss of performance down low with higher altitude parts.
I did save them, but Lake Powell will be as low as I go. Unless I'm lucky enough to go to Mead someday. Powell sit's at 3600 feet and it run's great there.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Let's face it, the 210 is under powered and greatly effected by elevation. I picked up my 210 back in march and have been fighting this issue every since. I do boat at elevation and on it's best day I could get 35 and 7100 rpm's. It was also a dog out of the hole and if loaded up and pulling a tube sometimes it wouldn't even get on plane. I was PISSED, and ready to sale the boat. Last night had my first test with high elevation solars impellers from impro's. Still no speed demon, but much, much, much better. I boated at 5000' last night, with 6 in the boat, also pulling a tube and it's a different animal now. I'm getting 8100 rpm's now and 37, and it's doing it quickly now. Did on run by my self and got 42 on speedo and 39 on GPS.
Did it cost a lot, YEP. $590. But now I'm willing to keep the boat for a while. You can't beat the layout of this boat. Just love it. Maybe one day I'll have the money to upgrade to the 212.
That's awesome that the impellers made such a great difference! Out of curiosity, what is the elevation at which you boat? Our 2011 SX210 has never struggled to get out of the hole, even loaded with people and pulling a tube or a boarder. I've pulled a 200 pound wakeboarder with myself (210 lbs) and a 200ish pound spotter + approximately 1500 pounds of ballast onboard. But then, we boat at about 400 feet of elevation. I can certainly imagine that high altitude boating would blunt the performance.

vt650

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's awesome that the impellers made such a great difference! Out of curiosity, what is the elevation at which you boat? Our 2011 SX210 has never struggled to get out of the hole, even loaded with people and pulling a tube or a boarder. I've pulled a 200 pound wakeboarder with myself (210 lbs) and a 200ish pound spotter + approximately 1500 pounds of ballast onboard. But then, we boat at about 400 feet of elevation. I can certainly imagine that high altitude boating would blunt the performance.
5000'

Tdunne

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think that today I will be calling Impros.... We are no where near the 5k elevation mark on the Yellowtail Reservoir. Took the boat out Sunday with just myself and my 100# daughter and top speed with the gps was 36.5 mph... calm water bimini up. I don't have much to compare the hole shot to as this is my first boat, but 0-30 takes a bit of time, maybe 20 seconds, didn't actually time it, just thinking back. Pulled the filters, no difference at all other than the noise level from the motor doubled.

vt650

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just got back from Lake Powell, elevationi 3600'. With a full load (six of us, full tank of gas, and some gear), I was able to hit 40mph @ 8200 rpms. As we burned fuel later in the trip it would get to 40 even quicker, but never got to the chance to really push it, as it was really windy and rough.

Jonb

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My ar190 did 45 at sea level but got to big bear @ 7,000 and could barely hit 25 and 6,100 rpm. Got the impros custom prop from Dave and did first test today- 40 mph at 7,100 rpm. Couldn't be happier- only problem is can't get impeller off- again!

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome @Jonb glad you joined jetboaters.net. Glad to hear about your success with the impeller change. Did you do it yourself? Why won't it come off?

Jonb

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks!
No clue, but Yamaha replaced shaft and impeller under warranty after dealer couldn't get it off either- they said it was a known issue because it self torques essentially. Tested new impeller today and still had a hard time getting it off- dealer said they used an impact wrench so tried a long handled wrench and a bfh and it finally broke free after a few whacks. Doubled the anti-seize when I re-installed.
Gonna have to do this twice a year as I leave it in water in big bear all summer and will put regular impeller in for winters at sea level.

Kevin1741

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bought a 2012 ar210 back in June with 4 hours. Got a great deal and didn't bother test driving because of the reviews on boattest.com had top speed listed at 46mph. Well let me tell you how I felt when I couldn't get above 38mph with just me and a half tank the first time out, and second time....
Needless to say, I traded it in for a 2014 sx240 and very happy.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Thanks!
No clue, but Yamaha replaced shaft and impeller under warranty after dealer couldn't get it off either- they said it was a known issue because it self torques essentially. Tested new impeller today and still had a hard time getting it off- dealer said they used an impact wrench so tried a long handled wrench and a bfh and it finally broke free after a few whacks. Doubled the anti-seize when I re-installed.
Gonna have to do this twice a year as I leave it in water in big bear all summer and will put regular impeller in for winters at sea level.
Perhaps it would be easier to have two shafts and two impellers - one each shaft. Then you don't have to swap it like that? I would probably look for a nose cone etc. and make an assembly so you literally undo the linkages, the 4 big bolts, pop it out, pop the new one back in, and tighten it all back up. What would the dealer cost you every time vs making this assembly once?

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
For what it's worth at this point... Earlier this summer I had my 2013 AR210 up around 43 ish and I think it had a bit more to go and that was roughly at sea level (800'-900' above). That was with 3/4 tank, 2 adults and the bimini open.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
That is an excellent idea @Speedling for @Jonb to make your life easier. Also, I don't remember if the manual recommends anti-seize on the shaft threads for install, but if I were going to change them routinely, I would definitely add it. Great to hear the results!

Jonb

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Perhaps it would be easier to have two shafts and two impellers - one each shaft. Then you don't have to swap it like that? I would probably look for a nose cone etc. and make an assembly so you literally undo the linkages, the 4 big bolts, pop it out, pop the new one back in, and tighten it all back up. What would the dealer cost you every time vs making this assembly once?
Is it easy to do it that way? I have done it myself and got it off last night. Only sent it to dealer when truly seized and under warranty. If that is easier would buy a second shaft in a heartbeat!

Chris5105

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can get about 8200-8500 rpm and about 42 mph with less than half a tank of gas and 2 adults

Evildwarf

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
The boat was loaded 3/4 with fuel, 3 adults and a small dog, bimini top up
There's the problem, it's the damn dog!image.jpg

steve0617

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I'm in Denver but expect to boat in Powell and perhaps even sea level next year when I get an AR192. I plan on getting two impellers and drive shafts for it so swapping the impeller won't be the PITA that it is to break it free each time.

Driveshafts are expensive though for basically a pipe with some threads!: http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-6S5-45511-00-00.html