• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2013 ar210.... Max speed is 37mph, and max rpm is 7900... normal???

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I have to apologize....was really late when I got home last night, max rpm is 7900.... sorry, typo! I guess I was so focused on the other articles about speed that I didn't catch the blip. The boat was loaded 3/4 with fuel, 3 adults and a small dog, bimini top up, water calm or just slightly rippled. max speed 37mph, will try and check with my gps but phone reception is non existent, its Montana, we still have party lines in places!!
Well that makes sense now, LOL 7900 AND 37 MPH SOUNDS BETTER, THE 6900 is what stuck out to me. The articles I linked above must be either a HO or an error, I would do like the others said and maybe get the iridium plugs and see if K&N or another aftermarket co. Has performance filters for it, to help it breath better. Sorry if I caused any confusion.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I still want to know what lakes your running on @Tdunne , elevation is your biggest issue here. If it is a hot day on a 4000' elevation lake, your density altitude (altitude your engine thinks it is at and resulting performance from) could be well over 8000'!!! That could explain it all, and your results are normal.

I am going to change your thread title to 7900 rpms for clarity since you said you had the typo. Hope this helps...

Tdunne

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We are at Big Horn Canyon... Elevation around 2700ft. So plugs and filters would make a difference? I have no problem purchasing these items... could you suggest a source? You have all been pretty damn awesome in your response, Thanks again and really do enjoy this site, what a great resource!

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
We are at Big Horn Canyon... Elevation around 2700ft. So plugs and filters would make a difference? I have no problem purchasing these items... could you suggest a source? You have all been pretty damn awesome in your response, Thanks again and really do enjoy this site, what a great resource!
You will find a lot of the members here are very helpful and knowledgeable, that is why I tagged @txav8r , he is full of knowledge, and I figured if he didn't know the answer himself he would know who to include in the conversation to get an answer, or at the very least get you pointed in the rite direction . Have a great day!!!! :winkingthumbsup"

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The boat was loaded 3/4 with fuel, 3 adults and a small dog, bimini top up
Do you mean the bimini top was open or closed?
I ask becuase an open bimini can make a huge difference. Also - did you have any boards in your racks. Open bimini along with wake/surf boards in the racks can and will effect speed as they act like a sail, resulting in more resistance.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Don't buy new filters until you try running without ANY filters. Many boats run without any air filters....so running for a few hours won't hurt it, and you can see right away if having ZERO resistance from the filter makes ANY difference. I tried it on my boat....no difference....

Plugs might be your issue....but my guess is its just a factor of elevation. Plugs are cheap to buy and easy to change, so it can't hurt to see if that helps.

Do you have a dealer in your area? If so, call them and ask them what other owners are getting....easiest way to diagnose a problem is with multiple identical configurations (boats)....

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think it is simply your elevation based on the updated info.

Tdunne

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bimini top was up, no wake boards in the rack, will try without the filter!! I had to purchase this boat out of Minnesota... I called the Montana dealer and pretty much was UN-impressed with their knowledge and willingness to promote the sale. I have been talking to one of local rv dealers here (chapparral dealer) to carry Yamaha. Until then I will be utilizing my resources here at JB.N! I will know more on sunday.... we are headed back out, this time with my daughter who is home from college, and a couple of her friends..... waters are pretty cold still but into the water we will go!!!

Chris5105

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've got a 2013 I've had it at 8000-8500 with no problem and hit speeds of 42-45. That's on flat water with no head wind, bimini retracted, a little less than half a tank, and about 400 lbs of people. I could probably go a little higher on rpm as that was not full throttle but I'm still a little nervous to really push it.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Chris5105 good info, now have to,factor,in the 2400' or so,elevation difference...

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have a 2011 SX210. Your elevation and load is probably the culprit. We boat at about 450 feet of elevation and, under the best of conditions (cool temps, flat water) with the bimini down, I can run right around 47 mph lightly loaded (1/2 tank of gas and maybe a total of 350 pounds worth of occupants) at a max rpm of about 8200. Put several adults onboard, fill the gas tank all the way up and the bimini up and go out boating in 95+ degree temps and around 40 is the top. At 100 degrees, I don't generally see more than 7800 rpm. No issue to me as the boat has plenty of hole shot power and nobody I boat with likes to cruise at much more than 35 mph anyway.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've got a 2013 I've had it at 8000-8500 with no problem and hit speeds of 42-45. That's on flat water with no head wind, bimini retracted, a little less than half a tank, and about 400 lbs of people. I could probably go a little higher on rpm as that was not full throttle but I'm still a little nervous to really push it.
Chris, The engines are limited by the ECU. Yamaha makes sure you can't hurt the engines. You can run all day at Wide Open Throttle without doing damage. You can also watch your gas gauge drop if you do that.

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
@jdonalds , since you brought up the ECU I have been thinking about the high elevation problem. I am wondering if there is some king of chip / programmer available for these boats like there is for cars, trucks, and motorcycles. It seems to me that the computer could be 're mapped to get optimum performance at the elevations discussed above. I also wonder if a dealer could plug into the system and make air / fuel adjustments

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
There's just less air at higher altitudes. The only way the ECU/FI can compensate for that is to mix in less fuel. Less fuel and less oxygen means less power. Without turbocharger/supercharger pressure to play with, I highly doubt that any kind of programmer on one of these boats could make a noticeable difference. Even if you got 10 - 15 more hp, how much speed do you think that would ultimately deliver? Not to be a bummer, but considering that a 212SS with 140 more hp than an SX210 runs 8-10 mph faster, I can't imagine that an exter 10 hp or so would register more than an additional mph or maybe two.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@jdonalds , since you brought up the ECU I have been thinking about the high elevation problem. I am wondering if there is some king of chip / programmer available for these boats like there is for cars, trucks, and motorcycles. It seems to me that the computer could be 're mapped to get optimum performance at the elevations discussed above. I also wonder if a dealer could plug into the system and make air / fuel adjustments
This is a good thought, but the ECU is doing exactly what you want it to do, as @OrangeTJ commented on. Back in my youth, an automobile would not run well in the mountains if it were a sea level vehicle, and you would have to tune it to the new climate/elevation. The great thing about an ECU, it is constantly measuring air density/pressure, and it compensates completely. And also as @OrangeTJ said, the only compensation you can make is to squeeze more "air" into the formula, and the only way to do that is turbo or supercharging. Back to the ECU...all the kits/chips/tunes you see on ECU's do is adjust the fuel flow timing along with valves, and to adjust spark. These slight tweaks can change engine behavior for a desired effect. But you just can't get it to add in more air to the mix. Density altitude is just not something that most folks learn about. Sure, you know that things cook differently in the mountains than they do at sea level, taking longer, or needing higher heat to gain the same time to cook. When you learn to fly, you learn about effects of altitude, temperature, pressure, and humidity. And for the same reasons as a boat, car, or airplane isn't as powerful at higher altitudes, the thinner air and lower atmospheric pressure rob all of them of oxygen needed for combustion, and the atmospheric pressure to provide the oxygen molecules in a cubic foot of air that you have at sea level. Add to that high temperatures, and the number of o2 molecules decline in a cubic foot of air as the temperature rises. When I land in Denver or higher, the thin air under my wings and the sensors on the airplane take much more speed through the air to produce the same amount of lift needed to keep the airplane flying, and the engines require higher power settings to produce the same amount of thrust. That is why airplanes have service ceilings and have take off and landing altitude limitations. There is just simply not enough air to support the same operation at high altitude as there is at sea level. And back in the beginning of this thread, I mentioned some of this, as well as the fact that putting a speed impeller on the boat might grab a few more mph's, it will rob the low end out of the hole jump to get it. A guy that tows several tubes with larger riders won't like losing the towing power by adding a speed impeller and a guy that just cruises fast wouldn't like adding a power impeller...it is simply one or the other. And you mention optimum performance, that is what our engines/impellers are designed to do, but occasionally, someone will tweak them a tad to deliver the mix that is better suited to their desired sport. And that is fine, but it is a tradeoff, and it won't make up for thin air on a hot day.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
10hp is about 1 mph. That's 5 per engine.
better off looking at it from an efficiency standpoint.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
One easy thing to check anytime/anywhere is the throttle cable rigging. Advance both throttles all the way (engines off), open the engine hatch, then check that each throttle unit (converts mechanical cable movement to electrical signal) is fully against the stop. If there is any rotation left to the stop, adjusting will pick up extra power. It is not common to have this as a problem; but since it is so easy to check, why not? A little cable stretch after break-in could be possible. I see 8000 RPM and between 40 and 45mph with my MR-1s depending on load with stock/refurbished impellers.

Chris5105

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Chris, The engines are limited by the ECU. Yamaha makes sure you can't hurt the engines. You can run all day at Wide Open Throttle without doing damage. You can also watch your gas gauge drop if you do that.
Thanks for the info. It's good to know. My last boat was a 23 year old Bayliner, I had to hold my breath and cross my fingers every time I fired her up.

Tdunne

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks again for all the technical data!! Nice to know there are so many people willing to chime in on a conversation and just spitball back and forth in order to help with an issue/concern. I never thought I would own a boat, spent my youth in one but never saw this day.... and its a great day! I can't believe how much money I have spent via the internet on misc items.... holy crap!!! But its all good, and quite frankly, to quote a movie...its like Christmas in July!

vt650

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Let's face it, the 210 is under powered and greatly effected by elevation. I picked up my 210 back in march and have been fighting this issue every since. I do boat at elevation and on it's best day I could get 35 and 7100 rpm's. It was also a dog out of the hole and if loaded up and pulling a tube sometimes it wouldn't even get on plane. I was PISSED, and ready to sale the boat. Last night had my first test with high elevation solars impellers from impro's. Still no speed demon, but much, much, much better. I boated at 5000' last night, with 6 in the boat, also pulling a tube and it's a different animal now. I'm getting 8100 rpm's now and 37, and it's doing it quickly now. Did on run by my self and got 42 on speedo and 39 on GPS.
Did it cost a lot, YEP. $590. But now I'm willing to keep the boat for a while. You can't beat the layout of this boat. Just love it. Maybe one day I'll have the money to upgrade to the 212.