• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2014 AR192 Ribbon Delete and SVHO, not great results

camoto

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I did the ribbon delete with Riva Ring and SVHO intercooler on my 2014 AR192. Water temp 75, air temp about the same by myself, no gear, 1/2 tank of gas, bimini stowed, relatively calm conditions.

I only saw about 46-47 top speed (measured using Perfect Pass GPS) and about 7400-7500 RPM. With a 2nd adult top speeds were around 45. These speeds are about 2-3 MPH faster than it was before the changes, but still not as good of numbers I have seen from other reports.

I ran the SVHO outlet to a T fitting and then to the stock pisser line. After all runs I checked the temp and the intercooler pisser water was barely warm, (engine was considerably warmer) so I don't feel like it's heat soak.

Prop is in good shape, no cavitation noted, all sealant around the intake grate and ride plate seem good.

I'm not chasing performance per se but do want to make sure I am not missing out on anything. Is there anything else I should consider or check?

thanks!

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
That sounds like a good gain and a normal speed. To hit 50 mph you will need a light load and your jet pump in perfect condition.

These boats have a boost limiter that is possible to hit with the stock supercharger. With the ribbon delete and your low elevation it is possible that is causing your rpm limit.

camoto

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What is a "light load"? I was by myself so not sure I can get much lighter than that. :)

So my performance sounds spot on for those two mods?

Thank you!

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Light load would be all accessories taken out and low fuel.

The boat should go 48-50 mph with your mods, but if anything isn't in top condition you will lose a few mph.

Weight in the bow can drop 3-5 mph. Check your plugs, air filter, try 87 octane 10% ethanol fuel, clean the hull. Any of these things a little out of whack can cause a small drop in speed.

camoto

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you! All of the above I'm good with except the fuel.

Would using 93 vs 87 make that much of a difference? I've only ever used 93 Octane in the four years I've owned it. I realize the boat is designed for 87 but 87 typically doesn't have the premium detergents either.

I can only get 10% ethanol here in MA so that part is a given for me.

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
87 with 10% ethanol worked best in my boat. 93 will slow you down.

Also, to get the full benefit of the intercooler, you need to run a dedicated cooling line or get the high flow strainer.

camoto

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Interesting, thank you. I'll give a tank of 87 a shot and see what the difference is.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Those speeds are what you should expect with those mods. I imagine those are my numbers if I measured my boat with GPS speed. On the dream-o-meter it should be reading right at 49 MPH with those mods which is probably 47 mph GPS. My numbers are with a 'normal' loaded boat (gear, full cooler, full tank of fuel, life jackets, water toys, floats, you name it lol). l don't run a stripped down or light weight boat since that's not really real world for me. If you add anyone to the bow, even a small 8 year old child, the speed scrubs off by about 2-5 mph because more of the hull will be in the water (drag). Only difference I noticed with the ribbon delete was increased throttle response and it didn't really add to my top speed any but YMMV on that. Those numbers sound right for your boat measured with GPS IMHO.

Last edited:

camoto

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Dream-o-meter! Too funny. Mine has been deleted and I have the Perfect Pass controller in its place and the stock electronics/tacho on the right side.

One thing I did notice with these mods was the increased throttle response which was especially noticeable when trying to get a lock on the perfect pass pulling a wakeboarder. Before it was always a struggle to find the balance between an overshoot and lack of throttle. Now it's simple-- hammer it and pull back slightly right before set speed and it locks and holds perfectly.

Great replies, thank you both for the guidance!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
One thing I did notice with these mods was the increased throttle response which was especially noticeable when trying to get a lock on the perfect pass pulling a wakeboarder. Before it was always a struggle to find the balance between an overshoot and lack of throttle. Now it's simple-- hammer it and pull back slightly right before set speed and it locks and holds perfectly.
Bingo!

That is basically the sole reason I run a Riva tune and pay for premium gas.
For me - it was either that or going "Full @gmtech16450yz", lol, on the throttles/APSs.

--

camoto

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't get the joke on that one (I don't spend enough time on here, sorry!). Does the Riva tune provide a noticeable difference or is it more subtle like the mods I just did?

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

camoto

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Man those throttles are so nice but all I can picture is getting run over by someone else (*mywife*cough*) driving my boat while I am in the water getting picked up after a wakeboard run.

Thanks for the link on the other boat with the tune. Reading it makes me realize that "how different it feels" is not something that can accurately be put into a post-- especially for the price.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You might want to check to make sure you are hitting the throttle stop when you put the throttle lever all the way forward. I have heard of people having issues with that.

camoto

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you, I definitely am hitting the stop.

Jetswu87

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sounds about right, I've never seen over 7500...and usually its more like 7350-7400. 47-48 is a normal max for me in ideal conditions, I've seen 51 once...and 49-50 a few times.

I still have my ribbon in but with SVHO, 87 oct only. Save the cash.

Cool thing is recently I had 7 adults in the boat(crowded....Yes) One of which was a 225lb guy up front and the boat still his 42-43 on flat water, I was impressed..even getting on plane wasn't too terrible.

camoto

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just thought I would post an update for anyone who is curious about this or finds this in a search. Was down to about 1/4 tank of the 93 after all the testing above and a couple of small outings.

Refilled (21.3 gallons) of 87 E90 (aka 10% ethanol) pump gas. I've had some fuel moisture problems so my first 10 minutes of running tend to be rough running until the fuel gets stirred up a little bit. I'm going to retreat the fuel with Marine Stabil now that I am done tinkering.

Anyways the results were slightly better
Same as above tests (By myself, etc.) Top end speed 47.5. I feel like if it had been a bit calmer with less wind I would have hit 48-49.
Throttle response even better. Pulling a wakeboarder was a dream. The PerfectPass really shines now. It was a great add-on before but was finicky. Now it's really incredible.

Glad I did the above. Totally worth the frustration of pulling the intake manifold off. It's no raceboat but it's totally transformed the usability and the ease of use for wakeboarding by a longshot.

Thank you to everyone who chimed in with advice, it's greatly appreciated.