• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

2015-2020 24ft models - what should I buy?

CaptRedbeard

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Considering plunging into the used boat market to upgrade to a bigger boat from our 2006 AR210. Definitely leaning towards a size upgrade. I really like the idea of the upgrade from 220hp to 360hp. I already know that I don’t want to spend the 70k+ to get into a new 25ft boat. Pretty sure that will land me in a last generation 24ft model.

Question for all of you with experience: what would your preference be between an AR240, 242LS, 242LSE, and a 242X?

I have ballast bags already and I’m not opposed to plumbing my own ballast system if need be. I’d want speed control, but would I be better off going with an AR240 and installing ride steady? I’ve heard mixed opinions on the Connext speed control. Not terribly concerned with “nicer” trim interior, mostly concerned with functionality differences.

Current pricing I’m seeing for 2015-2020 boats:
AR240: $44k+
242LS: $48k+
242LSE: $51k+
242X: $59k+

Tow vehicle capacity isn’t a concern. Thanks guys!

I would opt for the 242ls or the ar240. Not a fan of the e series huge fixed bimini.

I would steer clear of the 2015’s due to the 1.8L timing chain issue but that’s just my opinion - I had a 2015 242LS.

I updated to a 2018 242LSE at the end of last season for a few reasons:

- E-throttles. One thing that drove me crazy was trying to sync the throttles on my 2015. The E-series boats have the E throttles which are silky smooth and since my hands are arthritic it makes a huge difference for me. You can also choose a mode where you control both engines with just the port throttle. I will never own another boat that doesn’t have an E throttle system.

- Speed control. I thought this was going to be something I used all the time but I haven’t used it once. We don’t tow inflatables/boards much anymore and the E throttles have been so smooth I haven’t felt the need.

- More of the controls integrated into the bigger 12” Connext screen touch display. This has been a bit of a bust so far. After I took delivery in late August of 2024 the Connext touch screen functionality stopped working once the display got hot. The tachs, fuel level indicator, and depth gauge all worked but none of the inputs at the top and bottom of the screen worked. The dealer that I bought it from got the OK to warranty it from Yamaha but it’s been on order since last October and they have not been given a delivery date. This hasn’t been a big deal so far as we can use the boat (we cover the helm with a damp towel when floating) but it’s a bit annoying.

I know you mentioned that you’re not concerned with the trim level but we spend a lot of time on the swim deck and like the padded seats on the LS series boats.

Thanks for the input guys. Anybody have any pros/cons with the e-series speed control? I’d hate to decide to spend a premium for an e-series and find out the speed control is not great on the Connext.

Back