• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2015 212x surf help

Volterritory

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I just purchased a 2015 Yamaha 212 X. It has thrust vectors installed. We’ve tried surfing a couple of times and it seems to work just OK. What would be my best next step to make the surfing better?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I just purchased a 2015 Yamaha 212 X. It has thrust vectors installed. We’ve tried surfing a couple of times and it seems to work just OK. What would be my best next step to make the surfing better?
How much weight do you have in ballast? Transom bag? Wakewedge or booster? Speed control?

Volterritory

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
How much weight do you have in ballast? Transom bag? Wakewedge or booster? Speed control?
Everything is stocked except for the thrust vector. It came with twin 50 gallon ballasts. It also has the cruise assist that came on it. I have not added a transom bag, wake wedge, or wake booster. I was told by the company that the wake wedge will not work with the thrust vector. So I’m wondering where I should go from here. Thanks

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Weight in the back surf corner of the boat sinking the lower level of the swim platform is the key starting point to getting a decent sized wave for surfing. Next step is controlling the jet wash to clean up the wave face, and at last is speed control....

My boat and yours have the same (essential) hull size/shape as mine is just 2 yrs older and they didn't change much. My suggestion is to add the transom bag people use around here and the wake wedge on top of using the stock ballast. That should put the weight in the right spots to get that corner down in the water. It might even help to have a few steal shot bags (ex: Wakelife.co) to move around if you don't have extra people with you to shift a bit of weight around. Like setting them up in the bow to lengthen the wave, much easier/quicker to move around to fine tune things than more water filled bags. Speed control is easy (but sort of expensive), I have the RideSteady system and it's awesome, but there are other options out there like Perfect Pass.

Maybe @jcyamaharider can comment on Wake Wedge compatibility with TVs? I remember it being discussed here, but couldn't find the thread on it to link it here.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Everything is stocked except for the thrust vector. It came with twin 50 gallon ballasts. It also has the cruise assist that came on it. I have not added a transom bag, wake wedge, or wake booster. I was told by the company that the wake wedge will not work with the thrust vector. So I’m wondering where I should go from here. Thanks
Buy more ballast bags. I have the same boat (without the onboard ballast) and between the transom bag and putting on the Yamaha Wakebooster, you can get really legit waves out of it.

It's been speculated that the 21' boats might produce a better wave than the 24+ boats. :)

Here's my journey:

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Wake Wedge will not work with 2012 and newer 21ft boats that have the Thrust vectors installed. Just load up with ballast and make a gentle turn to surf. We did it like that for years. Once you get tired of that and get used to driving your boat you can pull the TV's off and add a Wake Wedge or you can add Cobra jet steering that works in conjunction with the Wake Wedge.

Not 100% sure but i don't think that Yamaha has a wake booster that fits your boat being a 2015.

Volterritory

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Thanks everybody. Here’s what I found out:
1) wake wedge won’t work with my thrust vectors
2) the Yamaha wake booster also won’t work on my 2015
3) I will order a transom bag from wake wedge
4) should I order the jet wash deflector from jetboat pilot? It seems to be one of my only options with the thrust vectors
Thanks

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Here's my latest setup: https://jetboaters.net/threads/what-is-wrong-with-my-wake-surf-setup.34092/page-2#post-553261

I have both the Cobra Fins w/wakewedge and Thrust Vectors/Jet Wash Deflector. Its correct we can't get the booster for our boats and the WW works only with Cobra Fins.

I'm trying out the Thrust Vector/Lateral Thrusters/Jet Wash Deflector setup now and we are going ropeless (see link). Hit me up if you have any questions or concerns on either setup.

Welcome and Happy Surfing!

Volterritory

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Here's my latest setup: https://jetboaters.net/threads/what-is-wrong-with-my-wake-surf-setup.34092/page-2#post-553261

I have both the Cobra Fins w/wakewedge and Thrust Vectors/Jet Wash Deflector. Its correct we can't get the booster for our boats and the WW works only with Cobra Fins.

I'm trying out the Thrust Vector/Lateral Thrusters/Jet Wash Deflector setup now and we are going ropeless (see link). Hit me up if you have any questions or concerns on either setup.

Welcome and Happy Surfing!
I ordered the 21 foot fat sac last night. In your experience, is the jet wash deflector worth it? I’m wondering if I’m going to end up wanting to switch to cobra fins and a Wakewedge later so hate to waste the $$ on a jet wash deflector??

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
This is just my humble opinion, cause I have and used both:

I think the 24' version (wider) Jetwash Deflector would be worth a try, but its not made for us 21s.
JetWashDeflector 21' version = $374 something...
Pros:
Very Easy to install/remove and can be done from the swim platform.
No drilling
Very Sturdy no movement..solid install.
Floats
Doesn't have to be swapped side to side for goofy or regular riders.
Cons:
Smaller coverage than the WW for jet wash.
Can't use the boarding ladder while installed.

WakeWedge Universal= $1000 something..
Pros:
More coverage to dampen the jetwash...wider and longer.
Adjustable angle
Now they have a version for both sides, so you can switch side to side with the same wedge, you just have to swap ( 2 pins) the turnbuckle. At one time i was carrying both wedges on board.
Cons:
Does not float
Drilling and mounting brackets to install for both sides.
Heavier and difficult to install in the water. Better to have a boat lift or on a trailer to get both pins to line up with the holes. Can be done in the water, if everyone gets in the bow and its very calm waters or a nice shallow area. I place a drop lanyard on it when I'm attempting to install in deep water.
Has scratched the underside of my hull, cause it has some play in it (moving up and down). Also you have to secure the turnbuckle from twisting while underway, cause it will loosen on its own.
Can't use the ladder.

I think both have a place in surfing with these boats, but I think Ridesteady (speed), Ballast (weight and placement), and Surfboard play a bigger role.

We've gone ropeless with both and ropeless with no deflector or wedge.

Volterritory

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length

I think the 24' version (wider) Jetwash Deflector would be worth a try, but its not made for us 21s.
Pros:
No drilling
Floats
Cons:

Pros:
Adjustable angle
Now they have a version for both sides, so you can switch side to side with the same wedge, you just have to swap ( 2 pins) the turnbuckle. At one time i was carrying both wedges on board.
Cons:
Does not float
Heavier and difficult to install in the water. Better to have a boat lift or on a trailer to get both pins to line up with the holes. Can be done in the water, if everyone gets in the bow and its very calm waters or a nice shallow area. I place a drop lanyard on it when I'm attempting to install in deep water.
Has scratched the underside of my hull, cause it has some play in it (moving up and down). Also you have to secure the turnbuckle from twisting while underway, cause it will loosen on its own.
Can't use the ladder.

I think both have a place in surfing with these boats, but I think Ridesteady (speed), Ballast (weight and placement), and Surfboard play a bigger role.

Great response!! Thanks so much. I’m going to try the transom ballast bag when it gets here and see how it goes surfing with that…guess I’ll go from there.

Spincycle76

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Pros:
No drilling
Floats
Cons:

Pros:
Adjustable angle
Cons:
Does not float
Can't use the ladder.

Do you happen to have any with/without pictures with the only change being the jetwash deflector? I am considering the wake wedge, but don't like the idea of having no ladder if I go with the model that can do either side (I am a goofy foot rider). I like the idea of the deflector making either side work, but don't want to get it and find it's not getting me the wave I want. Thanks in advance for any help!