• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What is wrong with my wake surf setup?

4michael

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I would disagree. I think the Yamaha is a marginal surf boat on the best of days. Of you put a period before the "or" in your sentence, it would be truth.

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As others have said - MO BALLAST! You want a major lean to the surf side, and you don't want all the ballast in the stern.

Perfect Pass speed control is available for your model (I had it on my 2005 SX230). I would surf it at 10.5mph.
It's not listed on their website as being compatible but I've emailed to confirm one way or another if they make a version that works, not that my wife would love me spending another $1,000 but you gotta pay to play.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I need to balance getting the best wave I can at a reasonable cost. Even if I could afford a real wake surf boat, I don't get to boat enough to justify the cost. Where we boat the most, being able to go in pretty shallow water is very helpful. Anyways, here is video of one of my better rides the next day. Even though the water was far from glass, it was smoother than the day before which I think was the most helpful change. Excited to try again in about 2 weeks with more ballast. Then in 3 weeks we'll have a big crowd so I can get some people ballast.

lil slower still.

Also try getting out on the water to test early morning when there no wind and no traffic. Then you can play all you want and figure out whats working and not.

4michael

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Nice video. Next recommendation is to take a muscle relaxant and chill. Feel the wave!

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’m old and fat and stupid and I managed to figure out how to surf behind my Yamaha, the rest of you can too.B6E86E6A-6A02-4BA3-8970-695798F15EAF.jpeg5A032145-C680-42D4-B523-50C3F606E0C4.jpeg0381C954-7AA7-45A6-8572-3C9BB533117F.jpeg

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
lil slower still.

Also try getting out on the water to test early morning when there no wind and no traffic. Then you can play all you want and figure out whats working and not.
Yes, I definitely need to try more in the mornings and evenings when the wind is generally calmer. Traffic isn't much of an issue where we are.
I’m old and fat and stupid and I managed to figure out how to surf behind my Yamaha, the rest of you can too.
What's your setup? Board looks big.

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've confirmed with Perfect Pass and Ridesteady that neither make a product that will work on the twin engine Yamahas with mechanical throttles.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I've confirmed with Perfect Pass and Ridesteady that neither make a product that will work on the twin engine Yamahas with mechanical throttles.
Wait, what? I have a mechanical throttle on my 2020 and RideSteady works fantastic. Best upgrade ever. Do you mean with the E-Throttle?

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wait, what? I have a mechanical throttle on my 2020 and RideSteady works fantastic. Best upgrade ever. Do you mean with the E-Throttle?
I'm probably describing it wrong or too simply but the older boats don't have Accelerator Position Sensors (APS) which I believe is what Perfect Pass and Ridesteady tie into, even though your boat has mechanical throttle, not throttle by wire. I think the system Perfect pass used to sell required adding servos and additional cables. I asked Perfect Pass if I could purchase an existing system and add the servos and such myself but they didn't think that was feasible.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I'm probably describing it wrong or too simply but the older boats don't have Accelerator Position Sensors (APS) which I believe is what Perfect Pass and Ridesteady tie into, even though your boat has mechanical throttle, not throttle by wire. I think the system Perfect pass used to sell required adding servos and additional cables. I asked Perfect Pass if I could purchase an existing system and add the servos and such myself but they didn't think that was feasible.
AHHH okay, makes sense. That does suck - you'll have to pay your driver with extra bottles of wine then.

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes, I definitely need to try more in the mornings and evenings when the wind is generally calmer. Traffic isn't much of an issue where we are.

The board is an Inland Surfer Red Rocket. It is a large board but as i mentioned I’m old and fat. Having the right board for your size, ability and wake size is important too. We have smaller boards for smaller people. Creating a good wake is a science. You need to take some time and try a few set ups and see what works best. Once you know that then you make minor adjustments depending on the wind, number of people on board and surfer preference. In these pics I have a swim platform bag full as can be. 750lbs under my stern seat surf side and 280lbs under the bow seat surf side. There’s also 5 people on the boat. The last piece of the puzzle is my Wake Wedge that I made myself. Very similar to the one you buy, without it my wake sucks.

By the way I don’t have speed control and don’t find it necessary for surfing - wakeboarding well that’s another story.

Last edited:

four_the_kids

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

We're also experiencing a "trail & error" process also with our wakewedge set-up ...
... using a Slingshot XR Coaster 5.0 and 1600lbs of ballast on the rear platform, full tank of gas, 65' of water,
... using a Yamaha Wakesurfer BWF 5.4, also with 1600lbs of ballast on the rear platform, full tank of gas, 65'of water ...
just haven't been able to find that sweet water curl yet ...

Attachments

3 green tornados

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
We're also experiencing a "trail & error" process also with our wakewedge set-up ...
... using a Slingshot XR Coaster 5.0 and 1600lbs of ballast on the rear platform, full tank of gas, 65' of water,
... using a Yamaha Wakesurfer BWF 5.4, also with 1600lbs of ballast on the rear platform, full tank of gas, 65'of water ...
just haven't been able to find that sweet water curl yet ...
What is your speed? Looks like your swim deck bags are near the center and only 2/3’s full. The bag in the picture looks like it is only a 300lb bag. Are you sure you have 1600 pounds there?
How much other ballast do you have near the center or in the bow of the boat?
It doesn’t appear to have much list to the surf side in the pictures. Where is the lower platform sitting in the water? With 1600lbs back there it should be buried under a couple inches.

3 green tornados

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I am 6’2” and just backing out of the wave in these two pictures to give you a reference to the height. I have the Yamaha wake booster, slingshot coaster, one 8three 300lb sac on the rear seat on the surf side. One 300 on the lower platform. Both COMPLETELY full including red top portion. Both of the stock ballast bags filled completely. Driver and a couple kids totaling 300lbs on the surf side and three more kids in the bow/non surf side weighing another 150lbs.
We also have about 150lbs of miscellaneous tubes, food, cleaners, towels and stuff in the ski locker and the storage area cabinet. We are going just over 10mph (no ride steady or perfect pass) in 80+’ of water.

11876D6A-A040-48D0-ACB5-072CA0E19B8D.png7CDA6976-6DD3-44D7-B91D-F8B611A8808E.jpeg

Attachments

3 green tornados

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Here is another picture of my brother-in-law with 600lbs on the rear two steps. Both stock bags 3/4+ full and my dad (350lbs) sitting At the stern on the port side. And again about 150lbs. In miscellaneous stuffCF25C3A1-C0DB-49D7-8371-53062AD82649.png

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Ridesteady 10.8 MPH
Port and starboard factory ballast 3/4 Full
Transom Fatsac full
Center locker Fatsac full
150 lbs steel shot bow
Jetboatpilot Jet wash deflector and Thrust vectors
2 adults - kids full tank of gas
Landlock 5'9" board
Good 10 min ride ropeless

F8DD801C-7166-4879-A248-EA66A057B3F6_1_201_a.jpeg

Brian B

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We surf for days on our 16 242x. 3200 ballast. Yamaha wakeshaper. Lean the boat a little port side. We start at 10mph and creep up with E throttle till the wave curls. Then we set it and forget it.
my wife shredding our wave

Attachments

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Nearly 300lbs worth of riders in this picture from last weekend. Setup was 500 in the locker, 750 on surf side deck, wakebooster, 10.5mph, three adults on board.
1F230C5C-AA3F-4CA3-9046-6F5DDCB19C84.jpeg