• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2015 242 ls TOP SPEED

Hezi

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
So I can't get more than 42 MPH from my boat with 4 men on board. I thought I should inspect my impellers after I beached on my last outing and I am sure I pushed bottom material (mainly sand) through the jets. Going out with a friend with 2013 242 LS last weekend, he is topping 50 MPH but his motors are at 8000 RPM. My motors don't go over 7400 RPM.

I'm either low on RPM and need to adjust the throttle cables or damaged one or 2 impellers. Maybe a combination of the two. Can anyone suggest what is your top RPM? How to check impellers? or a path to solve this?

I have 40 hours on the motors BTW.
Thanks

greg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You should get close to 50. I can get 52 with my 2015 ar240. Should also get 7800 rpms. Maybe replace spark plugs.

Dave Baran

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Since it is pretty early in the season still, you may have water in your fuel from old gas that sat over the winter. If you trailer your boat and you use normal "car" fuel it has 10% alcohol in it. Alcohol absorbs moisture. It will dilute the fuel so to speak. I'd recommend running your tank out and getting all the sludge out of it; if its bad then you may have to have the tank pumped out. Then fuel up at a station that sells 100% gas; which has no alcohol in it. Some "car" gas stations do sell it, you have to call around. This may get you the extra power you are looking for. Cheers.

Hezi

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Since it is pretty early in the season still, you may have water in your fuel from old gas that sat over the winter. If you trailer your boat and you use normal "car" fuel it has 10% alcohol in it. Alcohol absorbs moisture. It will dilute the fuel so to speak. I'd recommend running your tank out and getting all the sludge out of it; if its bad then you may have to have the tank pumped out. Then fuel up at a station that sells 100% gas; which has no alcohol in it. Some "car" gas stations do sell it, you have to call around. This may get you the extra power you are looking for. Cheers.
Thank you for the advice. I did fill the tank 3 times already after almost finishing the fuel. In the last two tanks, I added Sta-Bill fuel additive. Same results. Next on the list is to tear the jets down and inspect the impellers and increase tension on the throttle cable to get more than the current 7400 RPM I am getting

Chief

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
2016 242 limited E-series...top speed 50mph @ 7475 RPM....1 crew, 50% fuel load....i use regular gas from the car gas station(E10)......fuel burn is 25.2 gph or 1.98 mpg at top speed.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Are you sure you and your buddy have the same engines? The CARB “California air resource board” boats have catalytic converters and produce less hp/kw. If you can’t tell by looking at the engines check the ID/Info plates for the kw rating of each.

Chief

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
You can tell by looking at the engines between the 3 star and the 4 star CARB enignes....the 3 star engines have loop on the dip stick for your finger....the 4 star engines have just a knub on the dip stick.

Freezer41

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
CA CARB boat my max is 51 when it was just me on board. I had 4 adults and 2 kids last week and 43 was the max. Then with 2 adults and 2 kids a couple days later got 46. My elevation is 320ft. Top RPM 7400-7500 I think

Jim McGovern

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2015 AR 240 and 52 mph is top speed.

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've got a 4 star CARB AR240 and 43 is normal with a load of people with 48-49 being the top speed with 2 people and a half tank of gas. Load and elevation take their toll. Also, some of these top speeds reported are with the Bimini down as those can act as a sail sometimes.
Check your throttle cables, get just you and one other passenger and run with 1/2 a tank of fuel and see how she does on some smoother water. You should be upper 40's or even up to 50 for sure with those parameters.