• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2015 AR240 - HELP w/ checklist of items and accessories

Ronald Moore

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The old saying that there is no such thing as a stupid question, is verrrrrrrrryyyyyy true when you are dealing with a $50 or $60k toy.
And I agree with the above comment , get out and practice slow speeds,, it's different when trying to dock.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I want to take a crack at the depth thing. In the beginning, we all do the "mechanical" approach and do everything based on what someone tells us. Like @SCSTWG shared, it is going to be different on different ramps. So what your actually looking for, is how deep are you on a particular ramp just when the boats back end starts to float. That is the depth you want or just short of it. My 240 is a tad different than my 230 was, and I always went with the "just a tad of fender showing" on the 230. That didn't work as well for a number of reasons on my 240. So I went back to school and on a calm day, when I could see it easily, I backed into the water and watched as the boats stern began to float, pulled forward an inch, and tried it. It was perfect, and that equalled just about having the fenders submerged completely. Now since then, I have found that with a crosswind and waves, that is too deep and I need to have a bit more bunk influence on the boats hull, to allow it to center up in the bunks on loading. Unloading isn't as critical, but you don't want the wind blowing you off the trailer before your ready to launch either. The fenders are a good key on many ramps, and it will be somewhere between just out to just under generally. Hope I didn't confuse you!

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Some very good feedback guys. I know there are plenty of posts regarding the sea dek and I will take a peek around. Where is the best place to buy it? Also... (and I know this is a super-noob question). How do I know how far to back the boat down into the water when on the ramp? Is there a good way to guage this? I feel stupid asking but I honestly don't know.
Just slowly back it down until the boat floats off. Seriously, I'm not trying to be a smart a**. Some people back down to a point and try and back it off and than have to put in further, just back it in until it floats off. Now when retrieving it, I agree back the trailer until the tips of the fenders are still showing.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Suggestions:
1) Good external telescopic radio antenna so you can receive and listen to FM stations and have good reception (PM me if you need help here. This is a LESS THAN $20 idea).
2) Thrust Vector XV's from @JetBoatPilot ! For SURE !@ (850) 960-3236
3 A bank vault of cash for other ideas we will give. You have to "earn" the ability for US to spend most all of your spare and not-so-spare cash on the first request ........ LOL ! - Idea: Or a good bank loan.
4) Have FUN - Glad you're here !
Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Blower? What blower?

Like everyone else, I open the engine compartment. Every time I turn the blower on, I forget to turn it off and then my wife yells at me because "something is making noise".

Westbeach Bum

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Blower? What blower?

Like everyone else, I open the engine compartment. Every time I turn the blower on, I forget to turn it off and then my wife yells at me because "something is making noise".
This is the first boat I have owned with a blower. Just for clarification, you turn the blower off when the engines are started.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You should always run the blower before starting the engines. Gas fumes are heavier than air and will settle in the bilge, right where your starters are. A little spilled gas and a spark from a starter and BOOM! There are a lot of videos of boats burning because of this. Just opening the hatch doesn't work. I'm assuming you have all the required items, flares, noise device, fire ext, throwable life preserver, enough life jackets for all on board. I've always had a set of long jumper cables on board for when someone else kills their battery from the stereo, luckily it never happened to me.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
One of the VERY VERY super KEWL things about the 2015 CONNEXT system IS "the blower."

It can be set to
A) Come on Automatically
and
B) Go OFF automatically.

1 more of the dozens and dozens of MAJOR improvements Yamaha has made with the 2015 24-foot boats !

Hey !! We got NO RAIN for 3 days !!!!!!!!!!!! HooRay ! Hope yours is even better, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
One of the VERY VERY super KEWL things about the 2015 CONNEXT system IS "the blower."

It can be set to
A) Come on Automatically
and
B) Go OFF automatically.

1 more of the dozens and dozens of MAJOR improvements Yamaha has made with the 2015 24-foot boats !

Hey !! We got NO RAIN for 3 days !!!!!!!!!!!! HooRay ! Hope yours is even better, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA
That's right. I will have to set that up.

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When maneuvering around docks, the best advice I ever heard was. Don't go any faster than you are willing to hit something! Or something like that.

Last edited:

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Get a telescoping pile to help push away from docks, ropes, etc.

RegezM3

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ahhh the telescoping pile. Thats a VERY smart idea for me being a noob and all!

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
X2 !!!!!!!!
THE single best accessory item I purchased for my bass boat !!!!!!!!
Like they say .. "Do not leave home without one !"
Good Luck, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

It can be set to
A) Come on Automatically
and
B) Go OFF automatically.
That is a small, but excellent improvement! I either didn't know that one or had forgotten it. Another advantage of the glass dashboard approach.

I frequently boat in rougher waters and ABSOLUTELY REQUIRE a boat hook as part of my standard outing kit.
However, I found that the telescoping boat hooks can break at exactly the wrong time (ask me how I know :(), so I now carry a very stout, single piece shaft boat hook or two. Worth considering, depending on your waters and needs.

Note: I will edit later when I get home with brand/model (if I can still read the labels)

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
1) STOLTZ Bow roller (if the 2015s still come with a roller as cheap as mine was that scratched the hell out of my boat)
2) Keel Guard
3) Beer
Yup, they come with the crappy yellow ones. Already scratched the hell out of mine. I bought the Stoltz one and will change it before I take the boat out again..

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The bow roller on the 2015 trailer is soft and bends and warps when the boat hits it. But a keel guard! Great idea. Where do I buy a nice one for my AR ? And BEER! How could I forget! lol
Change the the bow roller. The yellow ones flex but scratch the gel...

RegezM3

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
hrmm. ok good to know. Where is the best place to buy them?

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
...and, update your location in your profile. Not only will that let us know what neck of the woods you are in, it will show you on the map with everyone so you can easily find friends.

What everyone else said is completely right. And @txav8r checklists cannot be beat. Above all, have fun. But the king of everything is practice. Go slowly, relax, careful oversteering, back up and take another run, and have some fun. Go and learn how to spin the boat (very useful in many docking contexts). And have fun.

soggyshoes

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@RegezM3 Congratulations on the new boat. Take your time and work on the slow speed maneuvers. Don't take the family, bosses, or mother-in-law out the first time. You will be rightfully nervous and launching, maneuvering, and loading the boat and it will take a little bit of practice to get the hang of it. Also be careful when accelerating or turning at high speeds as these boats turns on dime. It is absolutely possible to throw some one across the boat or out of it if you are not careful. A friend of mine with a $100k plus MasterCraft tossed his wife into me because he didn't realize the performance these boats have (or that the steering only has about a 1/2 turn throw) when I let him drive it.

Also Here are some practical things you will need (I have listed some of the things you already said you have for reference for other first time boat owners):
  • Don't forget PFDs (personal flotation devices or life vest). You will want some good ones and some of inexpensive orange ones. I keep enough for the capacity of my boat. I also keep a few various sized children's PFDs as most places require everyone under the age of 12 or 13 to wear a vest.
  • Federal law also requires a Type IV Throwable Devise. This is usually a cushion or ring buoy. This needs to be immediately accessible (not where you have to open something to get to it). I have a seat cushion that fits perfectly in the space under the front passenger seat.
  • You will need a visual distress signaling device on board. This is often flares.
  • Fire extinguisher, which you said you already got.
  • Some areas require a whistle or air horn (audio distress device) in addition to the boat horn. This is also not a bad idea in case of a dead battery or electrical issue.
  • Handheld VHS radio in case of trouble. You said you already got one but I always carry a portable one if I am away from other people or in open water in case the issue is electrical.
  • I also always carry a spare drain plug and an extra kill switch key after a very bad experience.
  • A good serrated knife and a leather man tool.
  • A flashlight.
  • I wind proof lighter. in addition to starting a BBQ or campfire it is useful when cutting rope.
  • You mentioned you have a first aid kit.
  • And you said you have rope
  • And an anchor
  • And fenders (4 - 6)
  • I always keep a couple of extra, large beach towels on board as my wife is always cold after we have left the dock.
  • I also keep a portable battery jump starter on board (at least until I finally get around to doing the second battery instal).
  • Finally an extra pair of polarized sunglasses for when you loose, forget, or your wife takes yours because she forgot, lost hers, or didn't believe you about the advantages of polarized lenses on the water (trust me one of these scenarios will happen).
Here are some links that give federal guidelines:
http://www.uscgboating.org/images/420.PDF
http://www.uscgboating.org/regulations/federal-regulations.php
and some summaries of the federal guidelines:
https://www.usps.org/national/vsc/formtool_files/USCGMinReq.pdf
http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/reqequip.htm

Also check out any local requirements especially regarding towing inflaitables and skiers.
Most important is..... Enjoy!