• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2015 Chaparral 243 Vortex VRX twin 250's

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
BobJohnson,

How do you like the twin 150s? 300 hp is still nothing to sneeze at.
The twin 150's is perfect for us. We boat on a chain of smaller lakes, so no need to push the speed into the 45-50 range. We basically tube and ski and cruise around the lakes. The boat has way more than enough power to pull up ski'ers and i've topped it out at 40 mph. Largest amount of people we had on it at one time was 4 adults, 4 teens and 1 - 12 yr old. I never once felt like it struggled to plane. I even went slalom ski'ing with that group in the boat (i go 200 lbs dry) and the boat shot me out of the water.

PMChapVortex

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
The engine noise is not bad it actually sounds very unique and sporty if that makes any sense. the boat is agile and down right fast. it planes in seconds.. The acceleration from ideal cruise of 25-30mph to 60mph is very impressive.. You have to warn your passengers in the boat (not kidding) it will downright scream to 8k rpms. Overall the boat is a 9/10 in my eyes there isn't anything the boat can't do. Add the surf platform and it goes from a 9 to a 10. The ride quality is what you would expect of a Chaparral and its what I enjoy as so do my friends. A choppy day doesn't require a stiff back the following week after a fun weekend. Wet sounds stereo is great from the factory.. Add another amp and sub and its cranking. at night the boat lights up a really well. Blue courtesy LED all around.. Medallion is a great feature it is easy to use touch screen. The boat did take getting used to. jet drives were new to me.. after you learn it it becomes second nature like a stern drive. If you have not seen the Vortex's be sure to check them out at the next boat show. If you can demo one I highly encourage it. It can easily be a deciding factor. They are that impressive.. hope this helps for some of you guys.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I love the passenger seat that converts to J-seating in your boat - brilliant.

Last edited:

jwells

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
60 in my yamaha would be awesome I'm gonna really look hard at the chap when I get another in 4 years they are impressive

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@PMChapVortex have you had more time on the new boat? Or anyone with the chap if you guys look. Just seeing if you have any complaints or nothing but good thing to say? I just saw the chaps at Stuart boat show, and if I don't make up mind the dealer is having an open water demo day in March so I will go try one at that point. But I just am curious still, as I am worried with the lack of clean out ports for helping out with the weed lines off the coast here in FL, and how the rotax will be with the saltwater. I am not to concerned with the supercharger rebuild 200 hours is a long ways away and I can do all my maintenance in the meantime. I know that is a hot topic not looking to start a bad thread again as I have seen that were a lot of those. Just curious as to hear the owners of these boats and their take good and bad. Thanks in advance.

Vortexguy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Check out the Chaparral website. The Vortex has its own dedicated sight and comparisons on the water with the Yamaha. One of the few things I hear Yamaha saying is that the boat builder and engine manufacturer are different but that's the same with every boat built so why would it be an issue . My Rotax engines have 5 years of warranty. I have owned a lot of different boats and the dealer serviced the engines that came in them. Not saying the Yamaha is a bad boat but when you compare the two I think the Chap is a way better choice. Chaparral is considered a premium boat builder and is #1 in market share for a reason.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I looked at both Yamaha, and Chaparral at the Atlanta boat show. Both were nice. I agree, the Chaparral is nicer fit and finish, but it is reflected in the price. So, yeah you are probably getting a better built boat with Chap, but you have to determine is it worth the added cost?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What does the top of the line Chap cost? Not msrp but actual cost, just trying to get a cost comparison with Yamaha's new flag ship which has an msrp of $72k or $73k (my understanding is that msrp and actual cost are the same, especially with new / recently released Yamaha jet boats).

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I don't really think anyone doesn't think that the chaps are built with a better fit and finish. I think the one thing people are concerned on are the motor longevity. As many if the Yamaha boats and motors have been around and with little complaints. It's a peace of mind on the water. I think if the rotax holds out well it will cause a shift of personal to change boats as well. I know many are excited for the competition and the benefits it will bring to the consumer.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Ronnie the website for 2016 show 60-63K on. 243 VRX with the 250's being 3000 more. That is without any uogradeike medallion unit filler cushion etc. which come with Yamaha. I think with ballast systems medallion cushions etc you will be in and or around the 70's. When I talked to the dealer they don't drop much or any off msrp either as its a flat cost to all dealers like Yamaha.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sounds like the costs are comparable between the chap and the Yamaha. I have not been on a new chap jet boat but have been on chaps before and think they are better built boats from a fit and finish perspective. I'm also a fan of the clean out plugs but I seem to use them at least once or twice a season sometimes a lot more where as there are many Yamaha owners who never use them at all. One feature that seems to be a mixed bag of pros and cons on the seadoo powered boats is the closed loop cooling system. I wouldn't be worrried about salt water use if I had that but I'm not sure if it would be worth the extra maintenance effort I've read about (e.g. flushing and filling with anti freeze).

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Check out the Chaparral website. The Vortex has its own dedicated sight and comparisons on the water with the Yamaha. One of the few things I hear Yamaha saying is that the boat builder and engine manufacturer are different but that's the same with every boat built so why would it be an issue . My Rotax engines have 5 years of warranty. I have owned a lot of different boats and the dealer serviced the engines that came in them. Not saying the Yamaha is a bad boat but when you compare the two I think the Chap is a way better choice. Chaparral is considered a premium boat builder and is #1 in market share for a reason.
@Vortexguy These are beautiful boats.
But, not clear to me how quiet they are New Yammies are barely adequate. 5 year warranty is great, but the 250s from Rotax still need to prove themselves in boats, not a huge fan of superchargers, double the fuel use of twin 1.8l N/A Yamaha? These are all factors that are hard to ignore, for me.

One thing I am confused about is the top speed. Not sure about cited 60+mph speeds with 243 VXR, per boattests they top at 54.3mph, usually accurate.

Last edited:

Vortexguy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
The Rotax engines have been out for several years in the sea doo. I spoke to several sea doo owners who love them. As for fuel economy I can tell you my boat takes less at the pump than my buddies 242 and according to boat test .com the Vortex 243 with 250s gets a best economy 8.6 gph fuel burn at 5000 rpm while the Yamaha with the 1.8s gets best economy of 9.7 gph at 5550 rpm. I have always run 87 octane fuel other than the times I have to fill up on the water and never had an issue. I do know that Chaparral added more sound reducing foam in the engine compartment on the 2016s. My 2016 243 will hit 58 mph everyday. My suggestion is to sea trial both boats in the same day! The Chaparral is way better at low speed docking. You can't ignor Yamahas reliability but I bought my Vortex with a 5 yr bow to stern warranty and I doubt I will own it that long. Will want the next generation when it comes out.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The new point of contention. At least we moved beyond Jet vs. Stern, or Mobil 1 vs. MOTUL, conventional vs. synthetic, winterize with antifreeze vs. no antifreeze, or the all time great, fog engines or not during winterizing. I will tell you that the fact is Chaparral makes a quality boat that has superior fit an finish to the Yamaha's. I would never argue that my Yamaha has better fit and finish than a Chap, Four Winns, Cobalt, or a real Sea Rays (Not the jet boats that are really Sea Doos). However, I, like most consumers are forced to balance such things with cost, longevity (as it relates to jet propulsion technology), maintenance, familiarity, and reliability. These are all the reasons I bought my 2nd Yamaha last year.

As for the Rotax.........I am not convinced that this engine is as unreliable as everyone states. Those engines have been in their Sea Doo jetskis forever and I would argue that SeaDoo makes the best skis. However, I do find the rebuild an annoying and expensive task that would somewhat deter me, but not to the degree that most state.

I have seen a lot of folks reason that the price is similar. Based on my research and the answers I got at the boat show, the prices are not similar when you compare Apples to Apples. The Yamaha remains the most cost effective brand in the market and still out sells all other manufactures in the 20 - 24 foot space.

By the way, I love Chaparral and some day will own a Signature 310, but right now, I choose to stick with Yamaha!

Last edited:

Vortexguy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I do believe the Yamaha has a 200 hour service as well? I think I remember a friend having to do valve or timing chain service ? I am not mechanically inclined but am sure he had a major service on his Yamaha engines at around 200 hours.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have seen a lot of folks reason that the price is similar. Based on my research and the answers I got at the boat show, the prices are not similar when you compare Apples to Apples. The Yamaha remains the most cost effective brand in the market and still out sells all other manufactures in the 20 - 24 foot space.
agreed. have priced these boats out and a 243 vrx with touchscreen comes in at $62k. A comparable AR240 is $54k. Also, one big difference I found in my comparison is fuel burn at WOT. I found the Chap burns 36.9 GPH at top sped of 54.3 mph, while the Yamaha burns 22.85 GPH at 51.8 mph. The Chap fares better at cruise speed of 25.4 mph burning 8.8 GPH. The Yamaha burns 9.5 GPH at 27.9 mph. This only matters if you run around at WOT all day. I prefer the bow design of the Yamaha also. I really like the wide, squared off design. I plan to test both brands out this summer before making a decision.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I do believe the Yamaha has a 200 hour service as well? I think I remember a friend having to do valve or timing chain service ? I am not mechanically inclined but am sure he had a major service on his Yamaha engines at around 200 hours.
Yeah, there is a 200 hour service that most do themselves. It is not complicated like the supercharger rebuild. I did mine myself on my former Yamaha and plan to do so on this one when the time comes.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
the extra maintenance effort I've read about (e.g. flushing and filling with anti freeze).
No flushing and filling. It runs antifreeze year round, just like your car.

Vortexguy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
When I bought my 243 I compared it to the 242 limited . I sea trialed both boats and found the Chaparral to be way more maneuverable while docking. I also liked the ease of entry on the Chap. I have a toddler and getting over the hump on the Yamaha was tough for him. I paid about 2k more for the Vortex and love the boat. I have owned a lot of boats and also own a Formula PC and feel the Chaparral fit and finish is outstanding . Not sure what the conditions were when boat test did the top speed testing but my Vortex runs 58mph all day long and that's on the medallion screen and my navionics gps on my phone .

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
When I bought my 243 I compared it to the 242 limited . I sea trialed both boats and found the Chaparral to be way more maneuverable while docking. I also liked the ease of entry on the Chap. I have a toddler and getting over the hump on the Yamaha was tough for him. I paid about 2k more for the Vortex and love the boat. I have owned a lot of boats and also own a Formula PC and feel the Chaparral fit and finish is outstanding . Not sure what the conditions were when boat test did the top speed testing but my Vortex runs 58mph all day long and that's on the medallion screen and my navionics gps on my phone .
@Vortexguy - Don't get me wrong, even though I prefer the Yamaha jet boats, I love your boat. It looks great and I believe the fit and finish is nice. I also believe that you got better speed numbers out of your boat than boattest.com. Boattest.com said my former boat did 50.3 and I consistently got 52.5 out of her. I have only managed to get 52 out of the new one, but another '15 owner has reported 54. I hope to get that out of mine. Others will say it doesn't matter, but I do like speed.

I would have never considered walking over the hump to be an issue because it does not affect me nor my passengers, but I understand why it would affect you. Also, I am so use to the maneuverability of my former Yamaha that anything else feels wrong. I have many friends with V-drives that have similar maneuverability issues. Their boats are arguably even less maneuverable. However, they feel the same as I do, once you get use to it, it's all good and you begin to realize benefits.

I believe the years to come will bring the best out of both brands. Finally, there is another feasible alternative. I prefer my Yami and you prefer your Chap. In the end the competition will only benefit the consumer. So, here's to years of great competition!

P.S.......if a Vortex ever passes me on the water, I will have to look into speed enhancement mods! ;)

Last edited: