• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2015 Chaparral 243 Vortex VRX twin 250's

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The ASP is the wedge and it showed them flipping the ballast switches. It would be my guess yes.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
ASP?

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I would think you could surf behind it without the full ballast & ASP, just depends how good you are.
My friend surf behind a Sea-Doo Challenger 210 with less than 200lbs of ballast in it, but wave is definitely not as nice as what seen in the Vortex video.

Chapvrx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
when are this boats supposed to go full speed at 7 hours or 10 hours ? anybody

Bryan mazanec

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
@PMChapVortex have you had more time on the new boat? Or anyone with the chap if you guys look. Just seeing if you have any complaints or nothing but good thing to say? I just saw the chaps at Stuart boat show, and if I don't make up mind the dealer is having an open water demo day in March so I will go try one at that point. But I just am curious still, as I am worried with the lack of clean out ports for helping out with the weed lines off the coast here in FL, and how the rotax will be with the saltwater. I am not to concerned with the supercharger rebuild 200 hours is a long ways away and I can do all my maintenance in the meantime. I know that is a hot topic not looking to start a bad thread again as I have seen that were a lot of those. Just curious as to hear the owners of these boats and their take good and bad. Thanks in advance.
I'm in Tampa and first day out I clogged up in the channel where it was not safe to stop. She motored on albeit not at top speed, temps stayed down, I was able to stop outside the channel, jumped off and was able to float and use my feet to unclog the intakes. Last weekend was waiting for gas ad it was really weedy, when they allowe me to approach the dock I knew right away I was clogged again. I was able to motor in, get my gas then leave. The weeds were still there as I pulled away, gave it a shot of throttle and the weeds passed thru. I've only had it out 5 times now and love it but the no neutral and control in general are taking me time to adjust to.

Bryan mazanec

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
What does the top of the line Chap cost? Not msrp but actual cost, just trying to get a cost comparison with Yamaha's new flag ship which has an msrp of $72k or $73k (my understanding is that msrp and actual cost are the same, especially with new / recently released Yamaha jet boats).
I was told that the vortex chaps are price controlled and there is no wiggle room for negotiating. All dealers have to play on the same field when it comes to price. I got my 242vrx with twin 200s for 68k

Chapvrx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length

PMChapVortex

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
A big yacht fender with a fleece sleeve over it.

Chapvrx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
on another note my boat top speed with 250s at 13 hours is 56 top speed on medaleon , but on average it tops out at 54 , so i don't know how its recorded 56 as a top speed

Bill Jenkins

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
My vr 243 with 30 hours hits the high 50's with ease. Fuel economy is not terrible but I consider it to be on par with 500 ponies under the hood. once you get used to it around the dock its super manuverable, just takes a few tries. I left the stern drive chap market and glad I did.

At the Sand Bar Again

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Have others modified the "Neutral" position by adjusting the position of the reverse grate? I made some adjustments and it made a big difference. Originally it was +5-6 MPH from factory. I made three turns, got it down to about +3 MPH and then later made four more turns and now have it about 0-+1. Very happy with results.

Not hard to do; at the pump, detach the shifter cable mechanism from the bucket, remove the cotter pin, lift up the plastic keeper cap and rotate the "Reverse Cable Bushing" the number of turns you need, then reassemble. (all on the Starboard side since both are tied together on the twins).

Just figure out which way you want to go to increase or decrease the addition of "reverse thrust" to your neutral. Kind of trial and error.

No longer do we have the mad scramble at the dock after starting engines. It now stays pretty close to stationary. It used to be we'd have to start one engine, hang on and start the other then immediately throw it in reverse. Because the engines wont start in anything other than neutral, we had to do this as fast as possible or just get away from the dock with only one engine, then start the other when all clear.

Good luck.

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
That is all good, but does your gate still lock when in full forward position?
If not, the gate may pull down on you in rough water condition. That is more important than the neutral adjustment.

At the Sand Bar Again

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Yes, I believe so. I haven't had noticed any issues. The only thing I really notice different is that when backing up in reverse, it seems to slip back into neutral easier.

I can check next time I am at the sand bar and/or when I have it out of the water. I should be able to push the throttle into forward and go back and make sure everything is locked in. Are there adjustments for that as well?
Thanks for the heads-up.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Also I haven't looked in depth at the BRP bucket design I know it is very different but in the end make sure it is out of the nozzle jet wash. I'm sure you would of known by now due to some vibrations or chatter. Also excess spray if the nozzle stays to low

James Bertschi

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
great looking boat. I have a 2015 243VR, and ive had it out 6-7 times now. (bought with 12 hours on it january 2018). the compass on mainscreen is flashing a yellow !. when I touch it to read message, it reads "STRBD motor needs service". is this a standard thing telling me maintenance is due? or is it like a "service engine soon" on a car and I need to get it checked out?

the boat has been great so far.. no real complaints.. except the throttle cable gets a little "sticky" sometimes.

Bryan mazanec

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
great looking boat. I have a 2015 243VR, and ive had it out 6-7 times now. (bought with 12 hours on it january 2018). the compass on mainscreen is flashing a yellow !. when I touch it to read message, it reads "STRBD motor needs service". is this a standard thing telling me maintenance is due? or is it like a "service engine soon" on a car and I need to get it checked out?

the boat has been great so far.. no real complaints.. except the throttle cable gets a little "sticky" sometimes.
How many hours on the engines now? I’m assuming it’s due for the first service.