• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2015 Chaparral 243 Vortex VRX twin 250's

Duane652000

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Any time you have two boats on the water, there's always a temptation of a race, even among the slow air powered guys.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Can you speak on the bow size? Can an adult stretch out legs while sitting forward? I sat in a 24' Yamaha and the bow was huge. I can't recall how the Chaparral was.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Any time you have two boats on the water, there's always a temptation of a race, even among the slow air powered guys.

I plan on racing everyone I see on the lake this year. I had to pass on an E-series even after the wife said yes, I'm at least gonna embarrass some folks!

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Really good thread, interesting to read everyone thoughts.
If you have the money to afford a better boat, the Chaparral is no doubt a better purchase than a Yamaha and here is why:
Warranty : Standard Chaparral is 3yrs and you can have @ boat show a 5yrs warranty. I think Yamaha is 1 yr.
Power : Rotax offers more power than Yamaha, just look at the ECI labels on the engine & you will see the difference. At cruising speed BoatTest.com give a significant advantage to Rotax powepack, and at WOT Rotax powepack will give you the top speed to make you King of the lake .
Exhaust Emission : Rotax engines are CARB 4 Star certified engines and use catalytic converter exhaust post-treatment. If you plan to do close proximity water sport such as wake surfing, you should definitely consider a Rotax powerpack as they have up to 5 times less CO emissions at exhaust outlet. No wonder all Wake surf boat have to follow CARB 4 Stars, Yamaha JetBoat are registered as PWC and are playing the PWC emission credit game.
Maintenace : Rotax engine, which have been around since 2001, with more than 500000 engines produced. Are using closed loop cooling, standard automotive technology. Other than the supercharger that needs to be checked at 200hrs, the rest is ... oil change only. Yamaha also have a 200hrs valvetrain adjustment.
Fit & Finish : You can't compare a Yamaha finish to a Chaparral Vortex. Just look at Chaparral stainless steel hardware and the general fabrication.
Have a look at Chaparral Vortex Boats Challenge Seat construction video. They may only talk about seat construction ... but they have the same mind set for the rest of the boat construction, which is 100% quality. On the other side Yamaha are building boat like a PWC, where high volume cost saving is a very important aspect of development, just like Sea-Doo boats.
Rough water Handling :Chaparral hull construction, life time hull warranty compared to 1yr for Yamaha. For fun do the hull flex test, go at a boat show and push on the side of a Yamaha then go at Chaparral booth and do the same on a Vortex. No wonder a Chaparral is about 500lbs heavier than a Yamaha for a comparable vessel. That difference will be significantly felt in rough water conditions. Chaparral going through rough chop handling like a real boat while Yamaha will be bouncing around, not better than a Sea-Doo boat (hold on).
Low Speed Handling : We all know that Yamaha gate design is extremely deficient in regards of low speed Maneuverability, no wonder they try to band aid it using a ruder (Articulating Keel). The problem with that Yamaha ruder is that it significantly impede the turning radius at higher speed (Tighten the hull), just watch Chaparral Vortex Boats Challenge Cornering Agility video. Chaparral uses Rotax patented lateral Thrust gate design, amazing low speed handling and super tight cornering, no matter how much load you have in the boat. This is with out mentioning the possibility to use on Chaparral Rotax iST system, 2016 NMMA JetBoat award winner.
A game changing innovation that will make your jet boat handle like it has bow thrusters.

If you look for a good quality boat, Chaparral is for you and no doubt worth the money.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Really good thread, interesting to read everyone thoughts.
If you have the money to afford a better boat, the Chaparral is no doubt a better purchase than a Yamaha and here is why:
Warranty : Standard Chaparral is 3yrs and you can have @ boat show a 5yrs warranty. I think Yamaha is 1 yr.
Power : Rotax offers more power than Yamaha, just look at the ECI labels on the engine & you will see the difference. At cruising speed BoatTest.com give a significant advantage to Rotax powepack, and at WOT Rotax powepack will give you the top speed to make you King of the lake .
Exhaust Emission : Rotax engines are CARB 4 Star certified engines and use catalytic converter exhaust post-treatment. If you plan to do close proximity water sport such as wake surfing, you should definitely consider a Rotax powerpack as they have up to 5 times less CO emissions at exhaust outlet. No wonder all Wake surf boat have to follow CARB 4 Stars, Yamaha JetBoat are registered as PWC and are playing the PWC emission credit game.
Maintenace : Rotax engine, which have been around since 2001, with more than 500000 engines produced. Are using closed loop cooling, standard automotive technology. Other than the supercharger that needs to be checked at 200hrs, the rest is ... oil change only. Yamaha also have a 200hrs valvetrain adjustment.
Fit & Finish : You can't compare a Yamaha finish to a Chaparral Vortex. Just look at Chaparral stainless steel hardware and the general fabrication.
Have a look at Chaparral Vortex Boats Challenge Seat construction video. They may only talk about seat construction ... but they have the same mind set for the rest of the boat construction, which is 100% quality. On the other side Yamaha are building boat like a PWC, where high volume cost saving is a very important aspect of development, just like Sea-Doo boats.
Rough water Handling :Chaparral hull construction, life time hull warranty compared to 1yr for Yamaha. For fun do the hull flex test, go at a boat show and push on the side of a Yamaha then go at Chaparral booth and do the same on a Vortex. No wonder a Chaparral is about 500lbs heavier than a Yamaha for a comparable vessel. That difference will be significantly felt in rough water conditions. Chaparral going through rough chop handling like a real boat while Yamaha will be bouncing around, not better than a Sea-Doo boat (hold on).
Low Speed Handling : We all know that Yamaha gate design is extremely deficient in regards of low speed Maneuverability, no wonder they try to band aid it using a ruder (Articulating Keel). The problem with that Yamaha ruder is that it significantly impede the turning radius at higher speed (Tighten the hull), just watch Chaparral Vortex Boats Challenge Cornering Agility video. Chaparral uses Rotax patented lateral Thrust gate design, amazing low speed handling and super tight cornering, no matter how much load you have in the boat. This is with out mentioning the possibility to use on Chaparral Rotax iST system, 2016 NMMA JetBoat award winner.
A game changing innovation that will make your jet boat handle like it has bow thrusters.

If you look for a good quality boat, Chaparral is for you and no doubt worth the money.
Sounds like a definite Chaparral spin. Is it love for Chaparral or hate for Yamaha. ...lol. To each his own.

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
LOL! Love both, just facts. Yamaha is a great company, Chaparral is just a better boat.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
There is so much to argue here, even from the most objective consumer likely here, that I don't even know where to begin and it's obviously not worth the effort. Like, holy shit, I'm speechless.

BlacklimitedS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Was that straight off Chaparral's website? I know we have manufactures view our site but I did not realize they offered their opinion!

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
I love, love, love my Chaparral. But know there are benefits it has over Yamaha and Yamaha has benifits over it. One thing great about this site is its a jet boat site where we can share experiences as one group. I occasionally visit the Chaparral.com forum where jets are looked down on. It is not good and keeps me away. I hope we can keep this a jet boat site and not have riffs about mine is better than yours.

smashedheadcat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
There is nothing wrong with being passionate about your brand. These forums survive for that reason. Of course there is some bias when making posts about your boat. At the end, we all share the same passion, just different flavors.

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Sorry if I have hurt the feelings of some Yammie lovers, it was not my intention.
Just trying to express with specific facts why a Chaparral is, in my opinion, a better boat, and justify why it could be slightly pricier than a comparable Yamaha vessel.
You just get more for your money.
I unfortunately don't own a Chaparral, & I don't dislike Yamaha or any other jet brands like Scarab or Glastron.
BTW I still proudly own a beat up Sea-Doo Challenger 210 and I'm super excited to see the growth of the jet boat industry.
With a sterndrive market that keeps slowing down, I would not be surprised to see other boat manufacturers making the switch.

billyb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Sorry if I have hurt the feelings of some Yammie lovers, it was not my intention.
Just trying to express with specific facts why a Chaparral is, in my opinion, a better boat, and justify why it could be slightly pricier than a comparable Yamaha vessel.
You just get more for your money.
I unfortunately don't own a Chaparral, & I don't dislike Yamaha or any other jet brands like Scarab or Glastron.
BTW I still proudly own a beat up Sea-Doo Challenger 210 and I'm super excited to see the growth of the jet boat industry.
With a sterndrive market that keeps slowing down, I would not be surprised to see other boat manufacturers making the switch.
Just to let you know...my warranty is 5 years, not one. I do have a friend who has a 3 year warranty, but don't know anyone with a one year warranty.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I read the comment above about Yamahas having terrible low speed maneuverability. Ummmm...no. Mine is extremely maneuverable at low (and high) speed. The articulating keel was designed to assist tracking, not maneuverability. The bucket design of the Chap may have advantages, but it's hard to imagine that it somehow makes the boat more maneuverable at slow speed. When you can spin the boat on its axis, how much more maneuverable can you get?

Duane652000

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I love, love, love my Chaparral. But know there are benefits it has over Yamaha and Yamaha has benifits over it. One thing great about this site is its a jet boat site where we can share experiences as one group. I occasionally visit the Chaparral.com forum where jets are looked down on. It is not good and keeps me away. I hope we can keep this a jet boat site and not have riffs about mine is better than yours.
Bob, don't let the few stern drive snobs keep you off the Chap site! Some are just diehard fans of stern drives and are slow to accept new things. Kinda like how diehard Harley fans didn't readily accept the V-rod.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It is kind of funny to read some of the anti-jet sentiment on the Chap site. It isn't universal, but it does seem pretty pervasive. There seems to be a general belief that the jets will be unreliable and won't perform as well as the stern drive boats. I will say that more of them seem at least open to the idea of the Vortex than used to be. In general, the theme seems to be "buy a stern drive before a jet but if you have to get a jet the Chap is much better than the Yamaha." That may or may not be true but I'd wager that most of the folks making those types of comments have never actually driven or even been on a modern jet, let alone a Yamaha. Oh well.

Duane652000

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
They definitely struggle to see the benefits, not sure why that is. I'm obviously tired of the routine issues I've had with my Stern drive and can see many benefits of jet boating over a stern drive. I have a stern drive now, but won't buy another. It's my detest of them that has killed my desire to buy a small cabin cruiser in the future. I love sleeping on the boat. Hopefully someone will produce a cruiser with jet drive someday.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The Chap is a beauty. . . . . But does it really surf this well stock?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
not stock it won't. with the 1350 pound ballast and the wake wedge platform on this boat it will.
So are they rocking a wake wedge and 1350lbs of ballast on that boat in the vid?