• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2015 limited S Stereo tweeters

Ric Moseley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I got them installed over the weekend using temporary zip ties to hold them in place. I plan to use L-brackets long term but wanted to hear them on the open water first which I plan to do in the upcoming weeks. It does sound much better. Both the passenger and driver seats now have a much fuller sound (as opposed to all treble in your ear) coming from the opposite side of the tower and reflecting off the windshields. The only issue I have so far is that the sound starts to distort when the volume is greater than 85%. These Polk speakers (which match the other 6 onboard) are only rated to 45W so I might have to get something better. Here are some pictures. The picture with the wire in it is where I bypassed the cross over. I still need to cover the old tweeter hole using a 1-3/4 plug which I have on order from Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PF012Y8.

Attachments

Last edited:

Rodney Findley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I know, I am little late with chimmingin on this post but here is my $.02
I have built hi-end SEMA showcars for the past 8 years (with emphasis on 12V as well as a USACI sound Q competitor) and now shifting my focus over to recreational boating. Although boats are a different animal than an emclosed car, yuou still have certain dynamics that apply. Honestley if you ever see a tweeter more that 6"-7" away from another midrange driver... do away with it. At that point you start having separation issues and the sound gets really nasty. This can be overcome invehicle by changing crossover points. Nobody wants to fool wit that in a marine situation.

The only thing that would need to be in a wake tower is moderately powered 5.25" - 8" compression drivers or coaxials..... tweeters alone are no good, they aremeant for "fill".

Majorsmackdown

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I listened to the stereo in the limited, and it was the most awful thing I've ever heard - even after tweaking the treble way down.. To be honest, that was one of the things that helped me decide to save a bunch of money and get the AR240. They might work good as part of a security system - like a pain field generator.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The 242LS "system" is plenty good.
Can it use "tweeks" ? Yes.
Replacing the stock OEM Polks with better speakers helps immediately.
Adding an external AMP, or two, further helps.

And to solve the tweeter problem ? Soldering in a 20 cent resistor on each one SOLVES that.
Or just take off a lead on each tweeter. No reason to get upset. Life's too short.

No need for dramatics. great boat - All the way around.
Consider what you do get that is Fantastic.
ANYTHING you buy can be "improved".

My 2 cents worth which won't buy a lot any longer.
Best Wishes to all, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Craig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Anyway, this isn't worth getting upset about, getting back to the thread... I ended up disconnecting the tweeters after installing new coaxials, JL sub and amp. The factory tweeters in the tower are way too bright to be in that location alone.

Majorsmackdown

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
MikeyL.... There's no need to get on the defensive, I don't think anyone is getting upset either and I'm not mocking your investment - just wanted to share part of my decision making process for some of those out there still on the fence between the AR and the limited. At first I thought it was something wrong with my ears - but in a way I'm glad to see others felt the same way.
I can't think of anything 2 cents can buy. :winkingthumbsup" But so far, the 10k I saved is buying me all my gear - PFD's, beach towels, safety gear, anchor systems, cockpit sun dek, upgraded speakers & amps, wash down system, wake tower LED's, chartplotter (app), and I still have about $8500 left to pay for gas. I really wanted to buy the limited (thinking all the bling would be nice) but to be honest - the dealer really steered me toward the AR240 as the better value... And I'm glad he did.

But 100% factually, the last thing I compared between the two was the stereo - and the tweeters in the tower really and seriously put me in pain and were killing my ears and my head and throwing off my balance. I couldn't see paying extra for that.

I'd have jumped to an E-series for the electronic throttle control - but that bimini (if you call it that) really didn't do it for me....

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Me ???? Defensive ????

Naw ......... no way ............ besides for $10,000 I got us a shower which we have yet to use.

LOL !

Majorsmackdown

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
LOL !!

All in all the Limited's are really nice boats, no question - no doubt. I wish I had that shower every time I've used mine, and I like the rubber inserts in the grab handles and rear cushions too. At least that shower will be there waiting for when you do need it. There are tons of nice little perks that even the dealer couldn't fully elaborate on until we could see them side by side. I'm looking forward to some nicer speakers.

ok, sorry for getting of track... but this is all good info and lots of fun.

Enjoy !!

Tanguy75

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I've removed the tweeters and I've plugged speaker on the same wires. It sounds like it feeds the tweeters in my speakers only. Anyone can help?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've removed the tweeters and I've plugged speaker on the same wires. It sounds like it feeds the tweeters in my speakers only. Anyone can help?
The stock tower tweeters are behind crossovers that do just that. The crossovers are in the cockpit under seat storage. I would be carefull trying to power another pair of coaxials off that feed as you may ohm out the head unit.

Tanguy75

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks Mainah. How would you feed 2 tower speakers then. Should I rewire from the stereo through the tower ?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Looks like @Ric Moseley just bypasses the crossovers and was ok. If it were me I would add an amp and make use of the wires already in the tower while also amping and upgrading the existing cabin speakers.

COtoFLsurf

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Tanguy75, you will definitely want to add an amplifier if you are adding tower speakers, and in that case you would run new wires from the amp directly to the new tower speakers. I left my tweeters connected and find that they are actually decent once rest of the system is upgraded. You will find TONS of great stereo upgrade info on this site!

Tanguy75

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Tanguy75, you will definitely want to add an amplifier if you are adding tower speakers, and in that case you would run new wires from the amp directly to the new tower speakers. I left my tweeters connected and find that they are actually decent once rest of the system is upgraded. You will find TONS of great stereo upgrade info on this site!
Very nice of you. What stereo upgrade did you choose?

COtoFLsurf

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Kept the head-unit, Wetsounds XS650s in-boat and Wetsounds Icon 8 on the tower. Infinity BassLink 10" sub, Infinity Kappa Four amp. I also added two mid-cabin speakers (as detailed elsewhere on this forum). The swimdeck speakers and the bow speakers use existing wires, and I kept them connected directly to the head-unit (so no amplification for those two pair of speakers). New wires to the two pair of mid-cabin speakers (connected in parallel, so 2 ohm), connected to "front" channels of amp. New wires thru the tower to the Icon 8s, connected to the "rear" channels of the amp. Simple, relatively inexpensive setup that sounds awesome (ear of the beholder ...).

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Kept the head-unit, Wetsounds XS650s in-boat and Wetsounds Icon 8 on the tower. Infinity BassLink 10" sub, Infinity Kappa Four amp. I also added two mid-cabin speakers (as detailed elsewhere on this forum). The swimdeck speakers and the bow speakers use existing wires, and I kept them connected directly to the head-unit (so no amplification for those two pair of speakers). New wires to the two pair of mid-cabin speakers (connected in parallel, so 2 ohm), connected to "front" channels of amp. New wires thru the tower to the Icon 8s, connected to the "rear" channels of the amp. Simple, relatively inexpensive setup that sounds awesome (ear of the beholder ...).
@COtoFLsurf Where did you install the BassLink if I may ask? And how do you like it?
Just finished installing mine, placed it in the helm compartment - suspended up from the wall facing the bow. No idea what it sounds like, yet.

--

COtoFLsurf

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@swatski, I mounted mine in the helm compartment as well, screwed the brackets directly into the floor with sub facing towards port. I really like the BassLink, sounds awesome IMO, and is an affordable and simple way to get rock-solid bass.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski, I mounted mine in the helm compartment as well, screwed the brackets directly into the floor with sub facing towards port. I really like the BassLink, sounds awesome IMO, and is an affordable and simple way to get rock-solid bass.
This is a "tweeter" thread, so I'm totally hijacking, lol.
But I want to say that: you and @Glassman's posts have made me look at those BassLink subs and I am beyond impressed! Frankly, I wouldn't want more bass than this thing delivers not even close to being maxed out (and all for $200).

If it breaks I will attempt to fix it, or replace it with the Basslink 2.

--