• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

2015 Scarab 165 Electrical

rocky5

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
2015 Scarab 165 Electrical Issues:
Added house battery and 4-position switch and apparently damaged something.
Now:
1. Instrument cluster does not activate.
2. Ignition switch:
a. Accessory mode (left key turn) not working
b. Off - OK
c. Engine on now starts the motor (right key turn)
d. Engine start same as engine on position (full right key turn)
All fuses are good.
Changed both relays. Returned to original battery configuration. Still same symptoms.
Any ideas?

When you say "all fuses are good", did you chec the fuse box in FRONT of the driver? Because many 165 owners don't know there are two fuse boxes. One by the battery (the one with relays) and a second one hidden in front of the driver. Assuming your profile is correct, the 2015 models have it easily accessible under the hood in that location.

I did check the back labeled fuses and the box in front which are not labeled. There is a tall 6A fuse that I did not check because it is opaque white and cannot be checked visually.

Here's the diagram for those for future reference. The tall one is probably the diode for the lights.

The fact you have no cluster really implies it's that fuse as labelled in that diagram.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231210_142219_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20231210_142219_Drive.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 6
So NAV Light Diode is for the LCD cluster?
What about the engine starting without turning to the starting position?

Not quite. Diode is just a diode and not a fuse. It's for the navigation lights only. Nothing to do with the cluster. Sorry, my sentence was written very quickly. The other fuse that says Display... I'd recheck that one for the cluster.

As for the engine starting... uncertain there. lol I'm not sure what was done... but sounds like you friend something somewhere. Hard to diagnose remotely except using a multimeter and checking each connection manually. Things could have fused... and the ignition is messed up or other.

One nice thing about the older 165 models is that you can easily access all the wiring behind the cluster. 6 screws to remove the black plastic tray and presto, all wiring is there. The newer models are much more of a pain to access.

A poster named ScarabMike had written in 2017:
If you place your key on "run" position, and you bypass the solenoid, the engine will crank and start IF the solenoid was the issue, guess what, it did not run.
This suggests mine is bypassing the solenoid (involuntarily). Any idea what fail would lead to that?

Sorry, can't help you there. He was definitely a very knowledgeable guy. Just not much in the boating world anymore. I suggest you cross-post this thread under the Scarab section too. You may get more traction there sinc many Scarab folks only track that sub-section. The General section is dominated by Yamaha related content. No issues with that personally, but because of it, many don't follow the general thread if they own a Scarab.

Thanks. I'll try him directly for possible feedback.

Does display come on with key to left accessory position or only when engine on?
I’m going to replace starter solenoid this week. Seems like most likely culprit as key to engine-on runs starter which it should not. Key to starter full-right should be required and I assume solenoid is the controller.

Pretty certain key in accessory position only gives power to things like a stereo. Not your cluster. Cluster turns on when your key is turned one notch to the right and should of course remain on when starting the engine.

Appears that “on” and “starting” are merged. Hoping starter solenoid solves that and also relays display status.

Summary: Starter runs when key is "ON". No cluster display.
Updates:
1. Replaced starter solenoid. No change.
2. Replaced key switch. No change.
I read in a Seadoo forum that this (always running starter) could be due to a short in the MPEM (relay/fusebox).
When weather clears, I'll inspect the fuse panel for burns and then start removing fuses and testing starter path with a multimeter.

Any chance you could let me know the wire colors to A I B S ignition switch connections?

Sorry, my boat is in offsite storage for winter and I don't have any pics that shows that.

Back