• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2016 242 shower tank removal <leaking>

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My shower is leaking. It appears to not be the tank. The leak only occurs when the shower pump is on. So I am assuming it is somewhere between where the water comes out of the tank to the pump, or from the outlet of the pump to the shower head. I have pulled the hose out as far as possible, and the hose is fine. Ideas? Where is, and how accessible is the pump? How difficult is it to remove the shower tank?

Tjw961

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a 2010 242, and its on the stbd side outboard. Access is through the bench just behind the helm. Mine has a two piece bracket that bolts down the tank on each side with a joint at the top center of the tank as well. Not sure how close yours is than mine being 6 years newer. I've eyeballed mine to remove it in order to put in a second metal bilge pump fitting with hose and such. Once it warms up a bit, I'll be doing that but didn't look too bad to get it out. You also might want to remove the stbd rear speaker to see if you can access the shower hose itself on the rear of the tank to see if it's just a loose fitting or something. My shower hose came unscrewed from the nozzle once and I got it back through the rear stbd speaker.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks so much! Not much info on this site about it. Looks like a PITA, but will take a sit in the next month or so. Great to about the speaker... might get lucky there

BRosen

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Any luck or result from this? My shower worked great last year…just filled it up to overflow this weekend. When I put on the pump, and pressed the button, no water comes out of the shower head….water was leaking and filling up the starblard rear compartment by the tank. Messing around with it, I figured out it was leaking with the pump on, not just pressing the shower head button. So either a hose came loose, or something is cracked somewhere I guess…need to dig in and figure it out. Any thoughts?

Tjw961

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
On mine the lowest connector where the pump connects is facing forward on the tank. Mine is accessible from the stbd seat storage just behind the helm looking aft/outboard. My pump is mounted right there more inboard of the tank, and then leaves the pump heading aft. Look there to see if it's leaking there. If the water isn't leaking out that far up, you may be looking at opening up the area where your jet plugs are so you can see the hose nozzle on the aft stbd side. Hope this helps.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Any luck or result from this? My shower worked great last year…just filled it up to overflow this weekend. When I put on the pump, and pressed the button, no water comes out of the shower head….water was leaking and filling up the starblard rear compartment by the tank. Messing around with it, I figured out it was leaking with the pump on, not just pressing the shower head button. So either a hose came loose, or something is cracked somewhere I guess…need to dig in and figure it out. Any thoughts?
That's exactly what mine is doing, but I have not tackled this yet. Seems not alot of info available.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks...I will check it out!

Tjw961

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
See if you have this removable panel in your engine compartment, starboard side. I believe this will help you gain access to the tank.

This will gain you access to the top of the tank, and maybe your pump. I found it easier to get to the hose fittings on outlet connector of tank and to/from pump itself by lying down inside the storage compartment just behind the helm facing aft and looking outboard. I'm 6' 2", and did it when I took out my tank to do work behind it (replacing bilge pump fitting). Don't forget flashlight, screwdriver, etc before you dive in! Not that bad really....

BRosen

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Was digging around some more this weekend. I don’t have that access panel in the engine; that would be nice. I can’t tell any way to access that, except from the storage compartment….I was able to take out the cup holder there, and it gave me a slight little access. This is going to be a major undertaking ….

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have (had) a leak too. Fixed it today. I didn’t need to gain access through a speaker or cup holder hole. Although the engine compartment access was helpful, it’s not necessary. I was able to fix it all from the storage compartment. For me, it was a simple fix. An elbow piece that the hose was attached to was broken. I just replaced the elbow. I couldn’t find an elbow but I found another piece at Lowes that did the trick. A half inch bolt with a 3/8 barbed insert. So, find your leak and analyze what you need to do to get to that leak.

Attachments

BRosen

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for the encouragement. I’d really like to try and fix it. I think mine is going to be a similar issue.. I’ve turned the pump on, and can see back there with a flashlight the water leaking out. I just don’t know how I’m going to get back there, because I can access the front of the tank, and the pump is right there on the front corner of the wall. But the hose leaves the pump and goes back toward the shower, but it seems like its more than an arms length back there. I’ll have to take some pics next time I’m able to get out there; and actually feel like working on it, vs. taking it out and boating; that’s way more fun.

BRosen

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I finally made it out there to work on it. Got to tank out to see what was going on. The hardest part so far was to get the hoses off the tank and pump. The clamps unscrewed easily, but pulling the hoses off the barbed connections was difficult. I removed the tank, and looked back there while I engaged the pump, and could see the culprit connection. It is all the way in the back of the compartment. Now I’m going to have to get in there and see exactly what it is. It is either the hose is cracked (doubt it), or more likely the same connector type situation that you had. But now I’ve got to lay in there probably and undo it all the way back there. That’ll be difficult….I’m 6’3” 240…..lolCD283D6F-D932-4F3F-B6A6-740AD9A8713D.jpeg

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yep! I’m pretty sure that’s the same one that broke on me. If you have the access panel off in the engine compartment, that will help you get the the hose off at least. You might even be able to get to the nut. Go to Lowes and get that adaptor I posted in the pic above. Thanks for keeping us posted. Good luck.
By the way, getting that nut off can be difficult with just one person. I ended up taking my speaker out and holding the other side with a pair of lock pliers. I clamped it and then blocked the pliers with my speaker cover so it won’t spin on you when taking off the nut on the inside. Here’s a few pics of that.

Attachments

Last edited:

BRosen

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks. I don’t think I have the access panel in the engine compartment like you have in your picture. So I’ll be crawling in there…

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Check out the above post again. I edited perhaps after you “liked” it.

BRosen

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@sunbyrned you’re exactly right! Mine was the same exact part and place. I had to remove the strap that holds it down, and it was so difficult for my big @$$ to get in and back there, but I got to it and found it. I think mine is just slightly different than yours, but very similar. Going to check out Lowe‘s for the new part, then I’ll have to get back in there and re-assemble.30EA4451-C097-412F-A95F-1A9C50A149BA.jpeg80410459-FCA1-4B05-839C-A7CF16CE433E.jpeg31904A34-7DCE-435D-AC29-392E23D44460.jpeg

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Nice! Thanks for letting me know. Was glad to help! Another thing to think about also while your working on the shower. Take that nozzle cap off and clean the filter, but only if you’re having flow issues still.

BRosen

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Lowe‘s was out, but Home Depot had the right part. About $3, and crawled back in there. Got everything attached and re-assembled. Working great now!

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Lowe‘s was out, but Home Depot had the right part. About $3, and crawled back in there. Got everything attached and re-assembled. Working great now!
Awesome! I appreciate the note. Was glad to help.