• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2016 Chaparral Vortex 243 VRX

ScruLess2

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
We just broke it in and you will fly in comfort.

Downside. The manuals on this vessel are scant and hard to come by. Having an issue with the Medallion Instrument system with not receiving GPS data and not showing chart plots. Sat radio is also not working. Since its new, I'll hound the dealer to fix these issues BUT if there where better manuals I might be able to solve it myself. Second, there is no power schematic. This comes in handy when attaching accessories to the power system and accessory switches. Since, basically, everything is controlled through the Medallion system (a computer), you wouldn't want to make a simple mistake and fry the computer where on other systems it's just an oops. Vessel owners appreciate detail in information especially on vessels that go to sea (Gulf Coast Island hopping) in decent weather at 60 MPH. When the seas start to pick up chop and weather turns bad, I love being able to get the 12 miles back to safe harbor in 15 minutes while the 'deep sea' boats putt putt along.

Other than some minor tech issues, this vessel screams and with the inboard closed head it will see it's duty as an all around vessel. Wake boarding, Skiing, Tubing, Cruising, Fishing, going to the offshore island beaches.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Will she really make 60 mph?

Have you gotten anything caught in the Jets and had to clean them out?

ScruLess2

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
No, they have guards on the intakes and there is a stainless steel semi hemisphere cover above the intakes to prevent ropes, etc... from getting to the shaft. I looked hard an long at this system before putting out the money for it. Now, I'm sure if you run over lots of sea weed, etc... something will get past that stainless steel semi hemisphere guard but cleaning it out isn't bad at all.

(B) DRIVE SHAFT SLEEVE
Helps prevent the problem of debris, tow ropes and weeds becoming entangled with the drive shaft. Rivals can only try to fix the problem after it occurs.

Yes, on the speed. It seems to be the top end so far. The first 7 hours tho are the break in and the computer won't let you do more than 40 or so.

Vandyman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length

Downside. The manuals on this vessel are scant and hard to come by. Having an issue with the Medallion Instrument system with not receiving GPS data and not showing chart plots. Sat radio is also not working. Since its new, I'll hound the dealer to fix these issues BUT if there where better manuals I might be able to solve it myself. Second, there is no power schematic. This comes in handy when attaching accessories to the power system and accessory switches. Since, basically, everything is controlled through the Medallion system (a computer), you wouldn't want to make a simple mistake and fry the computer where on other systems it's just an oops. Vessel owners appreciate detail in information especially on vessels that go to sea (Gulf Coast Island hopping) in decent weather at 60 MPH. When the seas start to pick up chop and weather turns bad, I love being able to get the 12 miles back to safe harbor in 15 minutes while the 'deep sea' boats putt putt along.

Other than some minor tech issues, this vessel screams and with the inboard closed head it will see it's duty as an all around vessel. Wake boarding, Skiing, Tubing, Cruising, Fishing, going to the offshore island beaches.
I have a 2015 223VRX, and learned that to make my navigation function I had to order a new SD card from Navionics, erase all the data (not reformat), and download from their website. It worked fine after that. You are correct that there is limited info on these systems. My Medallion display (and all the gauges) kept freezing at about 10 hours and they ended up replacing the entire unit. But had a blast all last year and expect to take it out of storage this weekend. I really love the deeper v-hull....

PMChapVortex

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Vandyman is correct to get the Medallion GPS to work correctly you have to pull the card out from the medallion unit. you can get to it from directly under the dash. On Navionics website you can go to updates.. erase all the data on the card and load the appropriate area of map you want... This should solve that issue. I followed the step by step instructions another member had to do and it worked flawlessly. If you figure out the Sat radio let us know...

ScruLess2

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Yes, this is what my dealership told me. I did the update and it still didn't work. They tell me that it is a Firmware update not a Navionics update. They are sending someone to fix it. Point being tho, is that this should be taken care of AT the dealerships. When a Customer puts out over $70K for a boat, you should check it's operation BEFORE delivery. The fact that we are talking about these issues here is a failing on the Dealerships, Chaparral, and Medallion. Seriously, this tends to piss off customers.

Vandyman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Yes, this is what my dealership told me. I did the update and it still didn't work. They tell me that it is a Firmware update not a Navionics update. They are sending someone to fix it. Point being tho, is that this should be taken care of AT the dealerships. When a Customer puts out over $70K for a boat, you should check it's operation BEFORE delivery. The fact that we are talking about these issues here is a failing on the Dealerships, Chaparral, and Medallion. Seriously, this tends to piss off customers.
Totally agree on the firmware update. I may need one as well. Did you obtain a new memory card from Navionics or try to use your old one? On the 2015 model there is a 2g card limit and I could only use the card they sent me (maybe a security or format issue.... not sure). I tried using my own 2G card and it wouldn't work. Please post if the firmware update provides any enhanced functionality. I am still having trouble getting my Bluetooth operational but think I have a fix once I pull her from storage.

Mike T

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Hey @Vandyman to get the bluetooth to work we had to hold the large center volume button in until it showed up on the device we were trying to connect.

Just pulled my GPS card today going to try the update, my dealer told me he "WOULD DO IT" but his computer was down at the time of delivery. So fingers crossed I'll try it tonight.
I'm still in the breakin period and got up to 43 this weekend. Thinking about 60 mph that's crazy good...:winkingthumbsup"
My first real time out to run it and the thing handles like a dream.

Mike T

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
@Bruce I got a fishing float caught in the heat exchange grate and it was easy to get out. Believe it or not they tell you to put it in reverse forward and back a couple times and it actually worked. Now how it got stuck there is another story. Man... friends fishing on the swim platform...lol.

Skymonkey

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
No, they have guards on the intakes and there is a stainless steel semi hemisphere cover above the intakes to prevent ropes, etc... from getting to the shaft. I looked hard an long at this system before putting out the money for it. Now, I'm sure if you run over lots of sea weed, etc... something will get past that stainless steel semi hemisphere guard but cleaning it out isn't bad at all.

(B) DRIVE SHAFT SLEEVE
Helps prevent the problem of debris, tow ropes and weeds becoming entangled with the drive shaft. Rivals can only try to fix the problem after it occurs.

Yes, on the speed. It seems to be the top end so far. The first 7 hours tho are the break in and the computer won't let you do more than 40 or so.

I have a '15 203 VRX just had a tow rope get caught. Had to be towed and remove the remains on the trailer. I was quite pissed. Because the shroud should've helped but it got wedged at the end of the shroud in the opening just forward of the jet pump.

smashedheadcat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
A shroud around the shaft is a good thing, but it will not do any good if the impeller can't eat what it sucks up. A rope will wrap around the shroud and the engine will stall If the impeller can't handle it. It shouldn't pull in as much rope before stalling as a rotating shaft would, but there are no gaurantees either way. Any time a jet boat runs over a rope, it's gonna be a bummer.

Chapvrx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
(B) DRIVE SHAFT SLEEVE

caught a rope in my impeller do you think chapparel should cover under warranty with those marketing statements on the website? its been in the shop for 3weeks now the whole think is being rebuilt @ScruLess2

smashedheadcat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I have 3 mixed emotions on the warranty deal.

I don't think it should be covered because driver error caused damage. No disrespect intended.

I do think warranty should cover a component when it is specifically designed to do something and fails trying to do its job (driveshaft sleeve). If it can't do its job then it's defective.

On this board someone mentioned they were speaking with a chap rep and they assured them that this type of damage (including impeller damage) would be covered. If they are going to say that then they need to fix it.

Chapvrx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I have 3 mixed emotions on the warranty deal.

I don't think it should be covered because driver error caused damage. No disrespect intended.

I do think warranty should cover a component when it is specifically designed to do something and fails trying to do its job (driveshaft sleeve). If it can't do its job then it's defective.

On this board someone mentioned they were speaking with a chap rep and they assured them that this type of damage (including impeller damage) would be covered. If they are going to say that then they need to fix it.
Hope that's the outcome .

Before buying my boat, I went to boat show and also was reading this site and vortex site and Yamaha site to decide on whitch boat to buy , I ask chapp rep at the show how come no clean out plugs on your boats compare to Yamaha what if something going to get sucked in there , his response was, chapparel is in business to build boats and boats only and Yamaha is building pianos and motorcycles . And then I was reading here, not a lot of people had experience with this boats. Not having clean outs and if the company is advertising that it will be OK if you suck rope or debris. I was thinking I am safe if it happens, now I learned my lesson .

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
(B) DRIVE SHAFT SLEEVE

caught a rope in my impeller do you think chapparel should cover under warranty with those marketing statements on the website? its been in the shop for 3weeks now the whole think is being rebuilt @ScruLess2
I think running over a rope is a likely occurrence that should be built in to a boat's specs to handle without damage. I've ran over a rope several times over the years with no damage.

smashedheadcat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The clean out ports are certainly wonderful and a major advantage for Yamaha. The shaft sleeve is also a nice feature, but more of a preventative one. Think of the clean out ports as seat belts and a driveshaft sleeve as a horn. Both are good, just do different things.

Chaparral builds very nice boats, but just because it's all they do doesn't mean you can chop up ski ropes with your impeller. Be mindful and do your best to not suck up another.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Chaps can't have cleanout ports because its patented by Yamaha. Same reason why Yamaha can't use a bucket design like the BRP engines use to increase slow speed maneuverability.

I really wished all boats could have cleanout ports as its a great idea, not to mention safety as you don't have to jump in the water and risk injury under the boat pulling out stuff. I also wish Yamaha could use the side vectoring bucket design BRP has used for years. Would be the perfect jet boat to have both features lol. Oh well can't have your cake and eat your ice cream I suppose.

Bill Jenkins

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Hi all, I have a 2015 vr 243 with twin 250's. I love it it fast and nimble for sure. I traded my chap sunesta 22" 2013 for this which obviously had a stern drive and glad i did. Speed is high 50's low 60's depending on weight and chop, the acceleration is dramatic, the noise is nothing more noticable than the last boat. I park in a marina in the first slip and it sits over a major pad of weeds, in 25 hours in had to unclog it once and it wasnt bad at all I got wet but who cares. I screwed up and didnt get the tower. get the tower! when towing the kids at slow speeds they get hit with water because the tow point is really to low. not sure what to do about this. the break in period well it is what it is. The front anchor could be a bit heavier for my liking. I had to get a new chip for the gps in the medallion but it was easy to change. any input on towing would be great, I have a little to ball to pull i front and that helps but im looking for another solution which unfortunalty is going to be a tower. Ive got some hours on it now so i think ive got the ins and outs of it if you all have any questions. im really glad I made the change to the vortex.

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Awesome. Congrats on the boat. I have a 223vr. And love it. I too boat in a pretty weedy lake and knock on wood, haven't sucked anything in yet that hasn't been chopped up and passed through. Take some time reading the past posts in the chaparral section. Also in the scarab, seadoo and glastron sections since they also are rotax powered. Enjoy the boat.

fairpilot

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hope that's the outcome .

Before buying my boat, I went to boat show and also was reading this site and vortex site and Yamaha site to decide on whitch boat to buy , I ask chapp rep at the show how come no clean out plugs on your boats compare to Yamaha what if something going to get sucked in there , his response was, chapparel is in business to build boats and boats only and Yamaha is building pianos and motorcycles . And then I was reading here, not a lot of people had experience with this boats. Not having clean outs and if the company is advertising that it will be OK if you suck rope or debris. I was thinking I am safe if it happens, now I learned my lesson .
What a great answer from the sales man. I have heard it from them also, gotta bash others products. I bet 90% of these sales guys learned about jet boats in a sales seminar. Not a clue.