• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2016 Chaparral VRX 243, Throttle cable and Medallion Screen Replacement Help

Bill425

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
My 2016 Chaparral VRX needs a throttle cable replacement. Can anyone help on the procedure (difficulty) and also the part number either OEM or aftermarket and where I can order it? Also, my Medallion Screen is intermittent and also needs to be replaced. Does anyone know if they rebuild them and if so where they can be purchased? I spoke with a boat dealer and he said the old screens can be replaced with the Viper II. Does anyone have information on that and where can they be purchased? Thanks in advance jetboatersn any help is appreciated!

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length

Bill425

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Thanks for the info. I'll look them up!

Bill425

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
My 2016 Chaparral VRX needs a throttle cable replacement. Can anyone help on the procedure (difficulty) and also the part number either OEM or aftermarket and where I can order it? Also, my Medallion Screen is intermittent and also needs to be replaced. Does anyone know if they rebuild them and if so where they can be purchased? I spoke with a boat dealer and he said the old screens can be replaced with the Viper II. Does anyone have information on that and where can they be purchased? Thanks in advance jetboatersn any help is appreciated!
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
I contacted Medallion instrumentation and the part number for the Viper II replacement kit is Medallion #8960-00271-01 which is the Chaparral part number 13.03563. They told me it comes with a wiring harness adapter, an antenna and bracket. Unfortunately it must be purchased through a Chaparral dealer.

ChrisM

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
That part number is correct. (13.03563 – T2V2 Field Service Kit). Chaparral parts are only sold through dealers unfortunately, of which are priced somewhat high, but at least you are getting a genuine OE part. Usually the dealer will want your hull ID too before they order any part for your boat, this is Chaparral requiring this, and becomes part of your hull ID history. I just replaced mine late last year. My place of purchase dealer wanted more than a reasonable amount for the equipment than the Brunswick warranty would cover. I paid for the V2 myself, performed the install myself, and submitted a parts claim to Brunswick, which they covered by check reimbursement. I spent a fair amount of time on the phone with a top guy at Chaparral, time on the phone with Brunswick, and the dealer I purchased the new equipment from. Chaparral requested that the parts dealer honor "Goodwill pricing". This was due to a lot of factors surrounding the current replacement parts pricing, what Brunswick would cover, what Brunswick understood was the correct replacement kit, and not an upgrade. I went through a lot of nonsense before things were settled.
You can possibly expect to pay close to or around $3,000.00 for the field kit.
This is the dealer I used, and was by far the cheapest on their regular retail pricing. I also learned that dealers are not charging an across the board markup on Chapp parts.

Modern Marine
1000 8th Ave South
Nashville, TN 37203
(615) 255-3437
(615) 255-3438
Danny is the contact.

Below is what you get in the field service kit.
GPS antenna
20200728_161935.jpg

Audio/Video harness
20200728_161944.jpg

Helm to Viper harness
20200728_161951.jpg

Viper II, which has a narrower screen view, like a theater mode
20200728_162013.jpg

IMG_5535.JPG

Install adapter
20200728_162114.jpg

Instructions
20200728_162133.jpg

Users Guide
IMG_5537.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:

ChrisM

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Throttle or reverse bucket cable?
The throttle is fly by wire, and should be located in the starboard storage locker as part of and froward of the helm.

Bill425

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Thanks for the information. I’ll check it out. I did notice the throttle cable does go to the forward whereas the thicker cable does go reward and passes down between the two engines.

Bill425

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
That part number is correct. (13.03563 – T2V2 Field Service Kit). Chaparral parts are only sold through dealers unfortunately, of which are priced somewhat high, but at least you are getting a genuine OE part. Usually the dealer will want your hull ID too before they order any part for your boat, this is Chaparral requiring this, and becomes part of your hull ID history. I just replaced mine late last year. My place of purchase dealer wanted more than a reasonable amount for the equipment than the Brunswick warranty would cover. I paid for the V2 myself, performed the install myself, and submitted a parts claim to Brunswick, which they covered by check reimbursement. I spent a fair amount of time on the phone with a top guy at Chaparral, time on the phone with Brunswick, and the dealer I purchased the new equipment from. Chaparral requested that the parts dealer honor "Goodwill pricing". This was due to a lot of factors surrounding the current replacement parts pricing, what Brunswick would cover, what Brunswick understood was the correct replacement kit, and not an upgrade. I went through a lot of nonsense before things were settled.
You can possibly expect to pay close to or around $3,000.00 for the field kit.
This is the dealer I used, and was by far the cheapest on their regular retail pricing. I also learned that dealers are not charging an across the board markup on Chapp parts.

Modern Marine
1000 8th Ave South
Nashville, TN 37203
(615) 255-3437
(615) 255-3438
Danny is the contact.

Below is what you get in the field service kit.
GPS antenna
View attachment 141134

Audio/Video harness
View attachment 141135

Helm to Viper harness
View attachment 141136

Viper II, which has a narrower screen view, like a theater mode
View attachment 141137

View attachment 141141

Install adapter
View attachment 141138

Instructions
View attachment 141139

Users Guide
View attachment 141140
Thanks Chris,
I appreciate all the information. I too am putting it in myself and your right about medallion telling you you have to purchase through a dealer. They also told me the same. $3,000 is a lot but it is absolutely necessary. I also wondered if anyone repairs them. Thanks again!

ChrisM

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
I still have my old one. It works fine but was starting to de-laminate, which would be complete destruction to try to fix.

July_2020 (6).JPG

mikeysotp

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Chris M are you looking to unload that screen?

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length

ChrisM

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
The thread is in my watched list, so I got a notification just the same.
I'm not sure what to do with the original one yet. They're NLA. I don't think I will have a use for it.
I guess send a PM, and we can go from there.

Shawn Weatherly

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
The thread is in my watched list, so I got a notification just the same.
I'm not sure what to do with the original one yet. They're NLA. I don't think I will have a use for it.
I guess send a PM, and we can go from there.
I just replaced my throttle cable. Do you have the direct cable or the remote actuating cable? The remote actuator runs from the port side of the engine bay, behind the battery. The cable then runs from the actuator to the starboard side to the reverse gate.

ChrisM

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
I'm a 2016 Model Year, 2015 build year. I don't think I'm equipped with any remote cables. My throttle cable runs down the starboard side of the hull.

Shawn Weatherly

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Ok, ours is a 2017 and has the actuator. Yours should be cake since it’s direct.