• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2016 FSH 190 Sport Re-Sale/Trade-In Value...

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Paul N

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So far I'm happy with my 190FSH...The St Johns River was pretty windy a few weekends ago...2 and just shy of 3 footers with whitecaps and heading into them it handled quite well...we made a 40 mile round trip to outback crab shack on 17 gallons of gas.....averaged 23mph...i plan on keeping this for sometime and will be watching fireworks anchored off Palatka next weekend...

NPR_Scott

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I'm the new owner of ClemsonTiger's FSH 190 Sport. First, let me say what a pleasure it was dealing with Clemson as a seller. Every question was met with a quick and detailed reply, and he answered 90% of questions I would have asked before I had the chance to even ask.

I've owned everything from large 34' offshore center consoles to 16' Action Crafts. Every boat is different and it just comes down to trade-offs.

I took the FSH out for the first time this weekend and really enjoyed it. My wife and I will use it to run around the barrier islands and sand bars, and to dig out inshore grouper and snapper off the inshore rock pile numbers I've collected over the years. In the winter I may even put a rack for a couple of aluminum 80s in the center storage and shoot some fish, although this is obviously not a spearfishing type boat. But I could do it, especially inshore where you don't need the giant LP 120s to get good bottom time.

This boat will serve my purposes very well, and will also be excellent for scalloping. There was a lot of seagrass floating around this past weekend and had to dig it out only once. Not a big deal.

I look forward to participating more on the forum and learning from all of you with more experience on jetboats.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome aboard @NPR_Scott look forward to hearing about your adventures on you new FSH! @ClemsonTiger congrats on the new boat buddy man it looks like you got a smoking deal on the new one! Hope you stick around as well to share some of your war stories with the new boat. We made it out night fishing a couple times while in Exuma and Bimini a few weeks back had a great time. The fishing part starts at the 3:41 mark of this video maybe you can identify what we caught what ever they where they tasted good well we didn't get to taste the little guy @Andy S caught but another larger fish did that put up almost a 45 minute fight and eventually we had to chase him down with the boat but the line broke anyway.

Captain Chet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
@ClemsonTiger , reading this whole thread, besides some bad information being exchanged about the pricing of trade-in's, I have one direct question for you and one correction to your initial posts assumptions.

First is, taxes. You did state the taxes you paid and as we all know, if you trade in a boat you do not pay taxes (again) on that trade in amount when calculating the taxes dues on the new boat. So in effect, you are recouping some of the taxes when trading in, but not when you sell privately. This is important in pricing a private party sale. In your example, your tax liability would be reduced by (approx) $19,000 or $1140 (6%) and that amount should be added to the trade-in value. So that's something to always consider.

But the real question I have, being I'm considering purchasing a 190 FSH (used I hope), is;

Did you LIKE the boat and would you purchase it again for what it is? (the financials not being considered)?

Enjoy the Tidewater, it's one fine boat.

Captain Chet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Yes, I know you sold it privately. I too live in FL (St. Augustine) and I appreciate your honesty. My use would be about the same as yours percentage wise. Although I might be50/50 with the ICW and the open water.

And all I have here is salt :) My house is 1200 ft from the Atlantic and I live with it all day and night long. :)

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree with @ClemsonTiger if you plan on spending 50% of your time offshore don't get a fsh if you do you will likely just be upgrading in a year or two. Go ahead and get a atleast a 21ft or bigger center console with a outboard you won't regret that choice but you may enjoy the fsh for a short period but surely you will want a larger boat. I spend less then 10% of my time offshore and still debate in my head the 24 ft center console route all the time. One thing I forgot till about a week ago when I got on a friends boat was how quiet the newer outboard motors where at 45 mph we where having a conversation without raising our voices.

Captain Chet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Looking and watching On The Reef going to Bimini a few times does give one the impression that the 190FSH is quite capable crossing the stream.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As mentioned the 19ft Yamaha will make that crossing heck I have done it personally on a jet ski and with a little Google search you will find a 60 year old gentleman who did it on a paddleboard. If you plan to do something like that once maybe even twice a year it will be fine but with 50% offshore usage comfort on the fsh will become an issue. You would even probably be happier with a 21 or 24 ft Yamaha non fsh model then the 19ft boat. A friend and I took his 2015 AR240 all the way to the Exumas in the Bahamas this year and it did pretty well and we fished off it several times on that trip and it was pretty good for that as well. Below is a video of our last day in Staniels Cay and our 225 mile offshore return to Bimini. We did over 600 miles offshore on this trip.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Captain Chet - I live in MO and in my state you can get tax credit for a private sale as long as it occurs within 90 days of a new boat purchase.

I have made the Bimini crossing earlier this year with the JB group. I had a SX190, which has the same hull and engine as FSH. It was very rough, and it was very fun.

The one thing that surprised me however was how much I had to push the boat to move at 25mph in semi-rough seas. That made me burn about the same amount of gas as 24ft Yamahas cruising at the same speed. As much as I love the boat, and now that it's sold I miss it a lot, that one observation gave me pause. For lake cruising, the 190 is almost twice as fuel efficient as a 240. But that changes completely in the ocean.

Just my 0.02 cents, since you are looking for opinions.

Captain Chet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
All great comments! Happy I asked :) The luster of the 190FSH is fast wearing off. But it sure looked like a good choice, and very well still may be when the become more prevalent on the used market.

Yeah, I'm sure each state has it's tax rules. In GA (where I was for 40 years), not long ago you paid Zero tax on private sales of boats, cars etc. That changed finally.

Paul N

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Howdy all...I'm averaging 10 hours a month on the SJR. I'm averaging 3.3 mpg crusing in the 28 to 32 mph range. Our typical trip down to the Redneck Rivera or the two springs off Lake George are smooth as glass on calm days and still comforatable with a light wind blown chop (Lake George). Yesterday coming back from Silver Glen there were two A-10's performing maneuvers and we got buzzed twice at low speed. Obviously admiring my 190 FSH. Or my wife knew the pilots and didn't admit to it....So far I'm happy. The fish cooler doubles as an excellent beer cooler. The live well is just right for minnows and handy just off the back deck when i fish. If any one finds water in their bilge for no reason, it might be the silicone seals around the drains. I had two of these that leaked a fair amount. A simple fix. Use food color or those toilet tank dye pills if you find water small amounts of unknown source water. I use Meguiars boat cleaning products and utilize the jet wash to give the boat a quick wash before we load back up at the ramp. When i get home, and while the motor is getting its flushing I give the hull a good wash/scrub then the cover goes on and thats the end of another nine hour day enjoying this beautiful world that we are so blessed to live in......

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Captain Chet just to be clear - what I meant to say was that in MO, and I suppose other states, you pay taxes on the difference between new boat price and trade-in or private sale, as long as it occurs within 90 days.

Danielmailin

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I've own mine for over 8 months, put about 100 hours on it, and love the boat.
It meets my needs as a family boat, size (since i store inside my garage) and my fishing, snorkeeling and scuba diving needs.

They way to look at it, is as nice bayboat that may also take fishing depending on weather. Taking it offshore is like taking a bayboat offshore, on a good day it will be fine, on a 2-4 you will feel it, 4-6 not fun.
Basically if you were in the matket for a flat or bay boat due to its size and price, the FSH may fit your needs. But if you are looking for an offshore boat you can take any day regardless of marine weather conditions, than you should be looking at other boats.

Paul N

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
55 hours for my first season fishin and sightseeing from Palatka to Silver Glen and over Cresent Lake way. I'm happy!!

For giggles I'll have a survey done @ 75 hours prior to my oil changes to see /document the condition of the guts of the motor.

Hannibal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The way this thread is going, I'll add I still like the FSH after a year. I'd like a Mako 214 better but not for the difference in cost. Oddly, if someone offered me a Waverunner FX cruiser and cash, I might be interested.

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I specifically looked for and found a private party FSH due to the fact that in Mississippi, you do not pay taxes on private party boat sales. Buying one from any dealer you have to pay taxes on the purchase..

I figure I saved $10K buying a used 2017 Deluxe with 15hours and a 3 year warranty, vs buying a new one.

Majority of my time will be spent on inland freshwater lakes, or inshore fishing, I might make a few rig runs no more than 20 miles off shore if the weather is perfect.

Hannibal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The thing about the FSH in offshore water for me is, even if I had the Mako 234cc, I wouldn't want to be out in over 2' seas. Preferably less. I like playing in rough water within reason but, I don't like fishing on a trampoline. I think it was here someone said 10' of boat for every 1' of seas. And if he couldn't stand to fish without holding on to something, it's too rough for fishing.

Hannibal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Didn't say it was dangerous. I just agreed that I don't want to be out there bobbing around for hours. I've been out in 3-4ft seas. I didn't enjoy it at all. Just a personal preference.

chris oftedal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So after all this, what did you sell your FSH for?