• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2016 Yamaha 242 Limited E leaking from drain plug

IceJason

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a 2016 Yamaha 242 Limited E Series that is leaking from hull drain plug. I just replaced it with a new one and it still leaks from the bottom of the drain plug. Is anyone else having this issues, any suggestions?

IMG_1817-Z.jpg
IMG_1799.jpg

Pullen724

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Welcome to the yamaha drain plug club. Very common problem. Some suggest swapping o-ring for one slightly larger and others keep it lubed up so it remained flexible. Also make sure the receiving end is clean of all debris and smooth.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I work with o-rings in high-ish pressure (up to 500 psi) applications. The o-rings MUST be able to slide against whatever they are sealing, otherwise they stretch and roll when tension is applied. I strongly recommend a good silicone lube on the o-ring, avoid petroleum based products as they degrade EPDM (rubber).

IceJason

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thank you for the feedback, is Yamaha doing anything about the design issue or recommending a fix for us owners?

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Honestly lube the plug. I noticed mine was dripping when water was in the bilge, I put silicone on the plug and have not seen a drop in the bilge since then.

Last edited:

IceJason

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks, I will silicone it up and test it tomorrow.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2016 Yamaha 242 Limited E Series that is leaking from hull drain plug. I just replaced it with a new one and it still leaks from the bottom of the drain plug. Is anyone else having this issues, any suggestions?

View attachment 94696
View attachment 94697
If the bilge was never flushed with a lot of water and/or vacuumed, when the boat was new, there is a lot of post-production debris and metal shavings that can cut up the plastic threads and damage them.
Make sure you do not have any shavings and crap in the threads.

--

IceJason

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I already cleaned all of the post-production debris and metal shavings from the boat, although after I put silicone on the drain plug it looks to be all good.

Thanks,

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I keep a tube of this in my clean out tray area. I use on every outing on both my clean out plugs and my drain plug. I also wipe out any grit or grim inside the drain plug threads and lip before I put the drain plug in. Not sure if that will help your situation but maybe worth a try.

IceJason

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Where did you get the metal drain plug from? My old 2011 Yamaha 240SX had a metal one and I never had an issue.

Philip

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My plug is leaking as well. Any upgrades on this ?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you try the lube suggestion above? That is where I would start, if you have not.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
As mentioned, Silicone spray lube from any auto parts store. I use it on the drain plugs and clean-out plugs. Keeps everything turning smooth and water tight. I also use it on the jetpump housings as a form of protector (don't spray the anodes) and to keep all the rubber/plastic parts lubed. Cheap and easy to use.

Philip

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I sprayed the o ring w/ wd40 silicone spray - let’s c how it works. I have a spare plug as well. Wondering what the metal plug is someone referenced above

Daddy Fat Sacs

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Anyone know the size of the drain plug off too their head? I would t mind investing Into a metal one

Philip

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
QUOTE="212s, post: 474215, member: 21731"]
As mentioned, Silicone spray lube from any auto parts store. I use it on the drain plugs and clean-out plugs. Keeps everything turning smooth and water tight. I also use it on the jetpump housings as a form of protector (don't spray the anodes) and to keep all the rubber/plastic parts lubed. Cheap and easy to use.
[/QUOTE]

I usually use white lithium as a protectant on pump etc. sticks better

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I like to advise a silicone gasket lube rather than the spray. Why? Because most people think silicone spray and reach for WD-40 (which is petroleum based and not silicone). Now, there is a WD-40 Silicone spray that *is* silicone. How confusing is that?

But my nice little tube of gasket lube is cheaper, I can control it better, and I use it on the pool, too.