• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2017 AR195 Steering Cable Replacement

Mmusquiz

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I need to replace my steering cable on my AR192. Does anyone have a video or know where to find a video on how to accomplish it? It doesn't look that complicated, but I would like to see it accomplished before I head out to attempt mine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
It is straight forward. I did both of mine without a video. Get the O2 socket mentioned above, grease the gear box where it meets the steering wheel and use 3M 4200 for the thru hull seal. Once you unscrew it from the transom it pulls through pretty easy. Take off your gas tank cover as well. It is not bad at all. I didn't mine in the bright sun and it was hotter than hell that day, recommend some shade.

Emptytemples

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You will need basic wrenches, 5200 sealant, string, cutting pliers, and one specialty tool discussed above. I just replaced mine and had to call around to a few places to find the cable. The dealer in Quakertown wanted to sell me the entire assembly for 500 dollars. The oem cable was 200 give or take? I almost bought the claw foot wrench, but we ended up having some o2 sensor sockets at work. The only real issue was I didn't take the bottom plate off of the hull and it was pretty tedious to loosen the thru hull nut. Tightening was an even bigger problem. The o2 sensor socket I was using was 6 point of course, anything with 12 points would have been more helpful. It's really not that difficult and I can't believe it's not in the shop manual.

Rough basic tutorial. Someone chime in with what I'm missing.
Note positions of all steering adjustments. You can get everything pretty close regardless. Minor adjustment may be necessary afterward.
Loosen and take off small nuts that connect nozzle and steering cable. Keep hardware.
Take off starboard front seat back rest to access steering in helm.
Disconnect large and small nuts that hold steering cable in place to steering assembly.
Use special socket or tool to loosen and take off nut in stern at thru hull.
Open clean out locker, open access holes. Lay flashlight in bilge and cut silicone/sealant away as best you can with knife. You should see a flat nut that holds cable out from transom. It may be beneficial to make mental note on depth of that nut but I would almost bet it is all the way threaded on.
Open gas tank access. Cut all zip ties that hold steering and throttle cables together.
Tie string to stern end of cable.
Use a hammer or mallet to lightly break the cable free from silicone left inside.
Pull cable out from bow carefully.
Disconnect string and attach string to same end of new cable. Carefully pull back through. Two people are best for this step. One to feed and the other to pull. Smaller arms and hands come in handy for the access port unless you decide to take the entire access out.
Before you pull the cable all the way through, during the last few inches, lay large amount of sealant around threads and transom interior for thru hull for water proof seal.
Pull through remaining cable and silicone from exterior.
Put on large nut and tighten. You cannot crank this as the inside is just a small nut on fiberglass as you should have seen when cutting the silicone from removal steps.
Reattach to nozzle on stern end and the two nuts in helm.
Wait for sealant to cure.
Enjoy fresh steering cables.

I have heard someone say so throttle cable at same time but I didn't go that route.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You will need basic wrenches, 5200 sealant, string, cutting pliers, and one specialty tool discussed above. I just replaced mine and had to call around to a few places to find the cable. The dealer in Quakertown wanted to sell me the entire assembly for 500 dollars. The oem cable was 200 give or take? I almost bought the claw foot wrench, but we ended up having some o2 sensor sockets at work. The only real issue was I didn't take the bottom plate off of the hull and it was pretty tedious to loosen the thru hull nut. Tightening was an even bigger problem. The o2 sensor socket I was using was 6 point of course, anything with 12 points would have been more helpful. It's really not that difficult and I can't believe it's not in the shop manual.

Rough basic tutorial. Someone chime in with what I'm missing.
Note positions of all steering adjustments. You can get everything pretty close regardless. Minor adjustment may be necessary afterward.
Loosen and take off small nuts that connect nozzle and steering cable. Keep hardware.
Take off starboard front seat back rest to access steering in helm.
Disconnect large and small nuts that hold steering cable in place to steering assembly.
Use special socket or tool to loosen and take off nut in stern at thru hull.
Open clean out locker, open access holes. Lay flashlight in bilge and cut silicone/sealant away as best you can with knife. You should see a flat nut that holds cable out from transom. It may be beneficial to make mental note on depth of that nut but I would almost bet it is all the way threaded on.
Open gas tank access. Cut all zip ties that hold steering and throttle cables together.
Tie string to stern end of cable.
Use a hammer or mallet to lightly break the cable free from silicone left inside.
Pull cable out from bow carefully.
Disconnect string and attach string to same end of new cable. Carefully pull back through. Two people are best for this step. One to feed and the other to pull. Smaller arms and hands come in handy for the access port unless you decide to take the entire access out.
Before you pull the cable all the way through, during the last few inches, lay large amount of sealant around threads and transom interior for thru hull for water proof seal.
Pull through remaining cable and silicone from exterior.
Put on large nut and tighten. You cannot crank this as the inside is just a small nut on fiberglass as you should have seen when cutting the silicone from removal steps.
Reattach to nozzle on stern end and the two nuts in helm.
Wait for sealant to cure.
Enjoy fresh steering cables.

I have heard someone say so throttle cable at same time but I didn't go that route.
I would definitely not use 5200 sealant on the cable where it comes thru the hull, it is too permanent. You may need to remove it in the future to replace again. Also on mine there was a large washer on the inside of the hull. If you don't have one, I would recommend looking into putting one there.

Emptytemples

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I actually ended up using star Brite brand sealant. I needed some things from wally world and they didn't have the 5200 I was looking for. Forget actual name but was under and over water marine sealant. Not the permanent adhesive. As far as the nut goes it was big enough but some sort of washer would have been best and probably should be added for moral support.

Jimmer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
It is straight forward. I did both of mine without a video. Get the O2 socket mentioned above, grease the gear box where it meets the steering wheel and use 3M 4200 for the thru hull seal. Once you unscrew it from the transom it pulls through pretty easy. Take off your gas tank cover as well. It is not bad at all. I didn't mine in the bright sun and it was hotter than hell that day, recommend some shade.
Copy, I will give it the old college try. Nothing like doing it out in the Florida sun and heat.

Jimmer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
One more question, does your boat have the hatch to get up under the console? I don't, so do you think there is a way to get the steering column out to remove the cable from topside dash area?

Gunner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Remove starboard front seat back pad. It's on hooks and two studs with nuts that you reach from inside the bottom pad of the front seat. Once pad is removed you have about a one foot by one foot hole into the helm.

Fastjet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
I need to replace my steering cable on my AR192. Does anyone have a video or know where to find a video on how to accomplish it? It doesn't look that complicated, but I would like to see it accomplished before I head out to attempt mine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hey there I replaced every cable on a lx2000 not sure the layout on your model I’m sure basically same set up took pic of numbers on cables teleflex I used worked fine just need two people do it any questions hit me up

Jimmer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Remove starboard front seat back pad. It's on hooks and two studs with nuts that you reach from inside the bottom pad of the front seat. Once pad is removed you have about a one foot by one foot hole into the helm.
Yeah, I am not looking forward to having to go through that space. was hoping there was another way.

Gunner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well I did put in an access door on the helm, but it's not for the faint of heart cutting a large hole in a new boat. No pain, no gain I guess.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Geeze all these steering issues on fairly new boats! Makes me nervous with my 2020 for sure, however so far steering is slick as snot. I can easily push the rudder out of the water to turn the wheel (must make straight because of OCDness). Good thing it's a pretty easy job.

Jimmer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Well I did put in an access door on the helm, but it's not for the faint of heart cutting a large hole in a new boat. No pain, no gain I guess.
I have thought about doing that myself.

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Geeze all these steering issues on fairly new boats! Makes me nervous with my 2020 for sure, however so far steering is slick as snot. I can easily push the rudder out of the water to turn the wheel (must make straight because of OCDness). Good thing it's a pretty easy job.
I was thinking the same thing, these are newer boats. Hopefully mine fails in October so the dealer and Y.E.S. can fix.

gsbrown

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
What is your boat? I have a 2018 fsh 190. Will that part work?
My boat is a 2017 AR195. The link will fit the boats listed. The FSH being a center console would most likely be a different size. I can't say for sure.

gsbrown

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Yeah, I am not looking forward to having to go through that space. was hoping there was another way.
I added the helm access door this year but replaced my steering cable before the door was there. It wasn't that hard to access thru the seat back hole. I suggest using a towel or some type of padding on the fiberglass to lean on.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I added the helm access door this year but replaced my steering cable before the door was there. It wasn't that hard to access thru the seat back hole. I suggest using a towel or some type of padding on the fiberglass to lean on.
I cut down pool noodles and then put a slit through half and fit those over the edges of anywhere that I crawl into.

Flowing

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wanted to share a quick and video that may help others replacing their steering cable. This was on a 19' Single motor.
Thanks to all the commenters on this thread. Also to @gsbrown for responding to my DMs with my questions.

Andrew Vishnevsky

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Anyone had an issue removing the old steering cable ? I have removed a nut from the outside , removed silicon from inside but it’s just not moving!

Attachments