• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2017 Price list for Boats and Waverunners

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am curious about this. I replaced the steering and reverse cables on my SX230 a few weeks ago. While in there I adjusted the throttle friction screws. I thought that I would want to increase the friction but found that I preferred it reduced. Last Saturday I got a lot of docking practice acting as the ferry service for a house boat party. I can not imagine the throttles being any easier to operate. I am able to shift from forward to reverse with my fingers. It is very easy to simply rotate my hand to put either throttle in forward while switching the other into reverse. I had a lot of fun sliding the boat gently up to the dock without any need of assistance.

I know that the cables I installed are a newer Telefax product but I assume that a new 240 would have similar feel using similar hardware. Does the E series really bring that much better of a feel compared to a new boat without it? Based on the $90 cost and fairly easy installation I plan to start replacing the shift cables anytime I feel it getting harder to shift.
Your on the money there @Bruce my throttles are so easy you can use one finger to move them, plus you still have a nice resistance and the notches to know where your throttles are without looking.

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hah! You are making me want to replace the cables in a new boat, Bruce. :)

To answer your question directly, the throttles are not bad, but not very smooth either. Takes significant effort to operate, and it can be tricky if you are trying to accelerate very smoothly. Don't get me wrong, it is not like you have to use two hands to move those, but I would NOT call them smooth.

I may need to look into adjusting the friction screws! I think I did it in my 190, but it did not completely fix the problem. It was still not smooth.

My understanding is E-throttles eliminate those issues completely.
However, when I was shopping, I was not able to get strait (and consistent) answers about some of their features. Such as: will those work with no aux power in the boat? And I think the reverse limiter is crazy. So, I like the idea, but I just didn't have the nerve.

(As an aside: What actually helped most with my 190, at the end, was the ECU reflash - I found a program that made the throttles operate smoother than silk. Which makes me believe it is a combination of cable adjustment and throttle body programming that smooth throttle operation makes. )
Maybe your friction screw is too tight @swatski my lever is silky smooth :D

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Your on the money there @Bruce my throttles are so easy you can use one finger to move them, plus you still have a nice resistance and the notches to know where your throttles are without looking.
@Britboater did you have to adjust them, play with the friction screws etc.?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Got you. Will do!
That would make my 15yo co-captain very happy, she is straggling with those a bit.

Flower

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
can you tell me where the frictions screws are? I unwrapped the boat for the season and the starboard throttle lever is super stiff. Port side is really smooth.