• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2017 Yamaha Jet Ski Line up...an entry level ski has arrived and a new performance ski

ZacFlyer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I grew up on the small PWC's before they all turned into barges.
That's why we kept the '95 Raider. I do still enjoy the technology and power that comes with the new models.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The tech is great. It's the huge weight that's always been the issue for me. I will always miss my 96 Xp 800.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have no doubt that Yamaha did a lot of homework and had a solid business case to support developing and releasing the ex but still think that they didn't include the right demographics or didn't weight them correctly.

If I start looking for a new ski it would likely be to supplement or replace the 96 waveblaster II my son currently rides so I would be interested in riding both the spark and ex. None of us other than Julian has ridden the latter yet so we may be pleasantly surprised by how it handles. One thing both the spark and ex lines seems to share is differentation within their lines. A $5k spark is stripped, if you want integrated storage, capacity for a third person or an upgrade from the 60 hp to 90 hp motor expect to pay more. Seeing three versions of the ex in Julian's video made me wonder how they are different but won't be surprised if the bottom of the line does not have a reverse function.

On the other hand if I'm concerned more about the cost than the age/tech it would be a lot cheaper to look for a used two stroke Seadoo or Yamaha Pwc. The wave blaster II has a lot of the same specs as the three up spark and the 96/97 Xp and spx weigh as much but have more hp. All three can be found used usually for less than $2k. I've also seen early (06) vx waverunners sport and deluxe for as little as $3k which is a good alternative for those that need or want a 3 seater with a four stroke engine.

Edit: here is a link to Yamaha's waverunner page. I had no idea the prices had increased so much where the vx line is concerned. As suspected if you want an ex with things like a boarding ladder, reverse, etc. it's going to cost another $1k if you want a rear boarding handle and ride tech just add $2k to the $6,600 base price.

https://yamahawaverunners.com/all-waverunners/

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Lots of different opinions on this subject, I think that Yamaha has the right idea, I personally tow a super Mable with 3 people in it and I tie a tandem 2 seater behind it with 2 people in it and I snap the heck out of them And no it is probably not legal but I can do it with my ski, I have a video from years ago towing a slalom skier behind a small sea doo sp 2 seater and driving with just one hand.
I have a lot of sparks out where I ski and if you just want to stay in one place and sit n spin then it is fine , however if you want to use it for a multitude of things and for a family, I would be partial to Yamaha's idea, naturally I have my steering on all my skies and that little difference is why I can do all the things I do even at 64 years old I can out maneuver most skies if not all skies even if I am driving with my feet laying on my back. The point is having a big ski that can carve circles around a smaller 2 seat ski and be used for all sorts of water sports is the best of both worlds. I spend hundreds of hours on these things every year My riding style covers a multitude of things from tricks to cruising. Just give me one of those young wiper snappers from Yamaha and let him ride one of my skies and he will throw stones at a stock ski .

Moochy

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Ok for whoever said Yamaha have made a huge couch please check the figures first.

Yamaha EX W: 1110 / L: 3050 / H: 1125 mm

Seadoo Spark W: 1180 / L: 3050 / H: 1118 mm

EX is the same length, not as wide and a bit taller than the spark.

wardial

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh I always love these debates. I understand all sides to an extent but the only place I see the sparks weight being an advantage on most modern skis is it's easier to tow and you can turn it while airbourne easier but let's be honest not many of us are out there trying to pop 180's or 360's while 5 foot in the air on a ski. I did say most so if you are more power to you and yes I too have tried this on a spark in the surf still not as easy as it sounds after getting thrown from the ski four times trying it I quit. That being said I have the heaviest ski in the market and at 35 mph I can still snap it back 180 degrees in its own length. I do not feel the spark is any more snappy or peppy then really most skis in the market place and other then the airborne turns I can do most of the same things on my 1000# ski a spark can do and more since I have more storage and over twice the fuel capacity. When I went to by a new ski a few years back I went with every intention of buying a spark but after seeing it in person went another way. After spending a few hours on a friends I was so glad I didn't buy one. Don't get me wrong there is a market for them if you ride a lot 1up and are using to maybe compliment a boat on a small lake I do understand but for any other use get a full size ski it will be a few K well spent.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We have very different experiences @robert843 , I have older ski's now (96 waveblaster 2 and 06 fx cruiser ho) but one is 400 pounds and the other 800 pounds dry (almost the same power to weight ratio with 90 hp and 160 hp, respectively) and the wave blaster is similar to spark where power and weight and length are concerned. The lighter one is much more responsive than the heavier one as expected. I have to put more effort into balancing on the smaller one or it will roll and I will fall off of it while drifting. While underway, it's a lot easier to lean into the turns which makes turning it at speed faster (I don't mean sliding through a turn but carving a tight turn at high speed). On the bigger one I can put all of my weight on one side of it and it barely lists at all whether I'm drifting or underway. The waveblaster also smokes the cruiser off the line but the cruiser has a higher top speed. Since the new Yamaha is around 200 pounds heavier than the spark (the 2 rider version I believe) I'd expect that it won't be as responsive in the turns or off the line as the spark for the same reasons I stated earlier.

Still, As you alluded to, if I was in the market for a ski that I would only ride short distances or durations of time on (not hours) I'd look for a spark but if I wanted to go longer it's a three seat Yamaha all the way.

Darin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Which wave runner do you own?

I got a couple with the lake house. I have not had time to get them running yet.
2004 Yamaha XLT1200
2005 Kawasaki STX 900

I don't know much about them. They are 2 stroke. I would prefer a 4 stroke. Maybe I will use them for a season or so and then see where I am on the PWC front.

A couple of EX deluxe or a couple VX limited seem to be calling my name. Of course a GP1800 for the first time ridder might be a tad overkill.

D.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
a GP1800 for the first time ridder might be a tad overkill.
Yeah....it is a rocket....and as I am a novice rider, it was way more than I needed when I test drove it. Going 65mph+ was fun, but scary too....You hit a wake doing that at my age and you end up in traction! LOL

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Really would you like one of my jet ski combo walker- ski tower, contraptions?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

GWC69

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Very happy with our EX Sport, great power and handling.
Yes its bigger but its still fun and handles the rough water great.
It does 50mph and feels like it would go faster but just dont, but gets there pretty quick.
I have a 97 Kawasaki 750 as well and the EX is a much better ride all around.

Could not get around the idea of the plastic haul, maybe its not a problem but just dont like the idea.

Last edited: