• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 Chicago Air & Water Show

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Didn't see anything for the 2018 show yet this year.

We are launching at Diversy at 6am and will be out for the day. Already keeping an eye on the marine forecast etc.

Have been out in the past but a refresher is always good, so....

Tips?

Advice?

Do's?

Don'ts?

If you go, where, what and how do you do what you do?

WetWillie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Tips?

Advice?

Do's?

Don'ts?

Don’t get shot! Hellacious up there...

Never been to the “Windy”... but would love to go to this and Wrigley in same trip... Just can’t bring myself to take my family anywhere near this city... Might be different if I could legally bring my ccw

Buckeye Boater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If you visit the city of Chicago you will be nowhere near the gang violence that you see on the news. I lived there for 12 years and there's crime but it's a generalization that the whole city is a war zone.

Now if you want to talk about parking then it's a hellscape and you should never go there...

WetWillie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Oh I figured as much there are bad parts of town to any city was a touch of sarcasm and trying to be cute to the op... Sounds like a neat place with a lot to offer yet I would be a tourist and the rep alone would/has kept me from spending my money to visit...

Chip F.

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'll be watching from right here. My son lives there and we'll be there Thurs to Sunday. Wave if you see me
IMG_0695.JPG

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Great time, some 2- 4ft rollers, pretty easy to handle.

20180818_085320.jpg

20180818_085305.jpg

20180818_205738.jpg

jsimanskey

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Those are great pictures. How was the launch from Diversey? What did you do about parking? I live in the city but keep my boat in WI - I’ve been tempted to bring it down for the show or even a cruise down the river. My problem is I doubt I could back it in behind my house from the alley and I don’t really want to keep it park it in the street for a week when not on the water.

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@jsimanskey The launch was incredibly easy... launching at 6am and retrieving at 11pm! LOL! Just us and the dock tender, Jim. We didn't anticipate staying so late, unfortunately we got caught having to sit through 3 lock cycles on the river side, had to wait for Navy Pier's fireworks barge, then the fire boat had an emergency, then all commercial vessels were so backed up they let them in only, then finally rec boats, that sucked sitting in the lock pool for 2 hours!!! We parked right there at Diversey for the day, although Jim said if we wanted to park overnight, to park at Millennium Park for $11. It was a long day, but pretty easy overall, we left our house in Round Lake at 5am and were on the water at 6am. We only had to detour once for clearance issues with the tower/bimini. Other than that it's an hour door to water. My sister in law lives at Rivernorth next to Trump, we were going to stay there but decided to just head home afterwards and not risk leaving the boat out. Sunday we went up to Lake Geneva (our home on the water) and enjoyed the calm lake,quite a bit calmer than Lake Michigan on Saturday.

I kept the marine radio on all day at the air show and it was an unbelievable shit show how many idiots were getting lines caught in props, jet skis sunk and boats disabled floating into the airshow zone. There must have been a Coast Guard distress call every 3o minutes. Since we were there so early, we got front row right in the playpen behind the break walls, so it was reasonably calm, with 2-4 foot rollers out in the lake.

Will definitely do it again!

39520197_10216773288664488_4631618502086623232_o.jpg

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@jsimanskey