• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 yamaha 242 limited s e series release?

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
at a little more than 4000lbs in the 242x, Yamaha is at a point where they will need to do something in the power range soon. I can noticeably tell a difference in my CARB 242x over my 232L-S when up at Lake Tahoe. The altitude affected both boats (a drop of about 1,000rpm) however, I notice the drop in horsepower more in the 242. It's that extra 700lbs over the 232.
I agree. Esp when Scarab and Chap give you the option of up to 500hp. What does a 242 have? Maybe 360?

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I was told 360 when I bought it. The easiest thing Yamaha could do is put twin supercharged 1.8s in these boats. That'd be the quickest way to add power to them with the minimal amount of r&d investment.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If they put twin SVO superchargers it would be doable but the SVHO engines with the larger injectors might be a major issues for fuel consumption.
A 160mm pump would be nice,
Redesigned reverse would be a major selling point to lessen the comparisons to the rotax setup

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You guys are to caught up in HP #s. Those 500 HP 24' chaps and scarabs don't offer significant performance increases over a Yamaha.

VAMDE

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I hope they decide to really try to build a true wake boat competitor. I love my AR210, and was thinking about upgrading to a 24' boat, but it's hard not too look at Malibu/Axis/Moomba/Nautique. Dragging around ballast, wake wedges, etc is annoying.

Their R&D department should just read this forum and build a 24' boat with trim tabs, way more ballast, an automated wedge to deflect jet wash on either side, etc.

Shark Sugar

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yamaha release date for 2018 models is 8/28/2017 at 9pm. Live on website

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I hope they decide to really try to build a true wake boat competitor. I love my AR210, and was thinking about upgrading to a 24' boat, but it's hard not too look at Malibu/Axis/Moomba/Nautique. Dragging around ballast, wake wedges, etc is annoying.

Their R&D department should just read this forum and build a 24' boat with trim tabs, way more ballast, an automated wedge to deflect jet wash on either side, etc.
Spot on! I have been researching wake boats and I plan to make some type of move after next season. My boat's warranty runs out 03/2020 and plan to either sell or trade for a new 2019 Yamaha or make the move in to a wake boat such as a Moomba or Supra. Axis/Moomba would be closer to the price of the top end Yamaha's. Malibu, Nautique, Supra, etc are pricey! My only concern with a wake boat is the ride in rough water. Most reviews I have read is they don't offer the best ride in chop.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Same here. Top speed is overrated. My wife hates going fast. She would rather cruise along at a comfortable speed and anchor in a cove somewhere to sun bath. I don't think of us as too terribly old yet either at 33 and 34. I've been looking at wake boats and their top speed is lacking. I was worried at first but the more I think about it I think it would be just fine.
This top speed thing was something of a concern to me, too, when I was initially contemplating selling my Yamaha and moving to a wake boat. I was totally dismayed that the boats top out in the mid/high 30s. Now that I've made the switch, I find that I really don't miss the 40+ mph part of the performance spectrum at all. Like you, my wife doesn't like going that fast anyway, so we are generally either pulling boarders or surfers at 10 - 20 mph, cruising at 25 or so, or anchored out in a cove somewhere. Every now and then we might run 30 for an extended period (like, say, crossing Tahoe), but I can count on one hand the number of times I've gone WOT and held it there in our MB.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Spot on! I have been researching wake boats and I plan to make some type of move after next season. My boat's warranty runs out 03/2020 and plan to either sell or trade for a new 2019 Yamaha or make the move in to a wake boat such as a Moomba or Supra. Axis/Moomba would be closer to the price of the top end Yamaha's. Malibu, Nautique, Supra, etc are pricey! My only concern with a wake boat is the ride in rough water. Most reviews I have read is they don't offer the best ride in chop.
Some are better than others in chop. Our MB F22 has a deep V hull and rides noticeably better in rough water than our SX210 did. Of course, it is a bit longer and weighs 1,600 pounds more, so that probably has something to do with it too. It also tracks dead straight through rollers in a way our own Yamaha never could. On the other hand, Malibu and Axis tend to have nearly flat hulls at the transom and tend to be a bit harder riding in chop. Moomba, Sanger, Centurion, and I think Supra all run pretty deep Vs and I bet you'd find that they provide an acceptable, if not better, ride in chop than you'd expect.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Some are better than others in chop. Our MB F22 has a deep V hull and rides noticeably better in rough water than our SX210 did. Of course, it is a bit longer and weighs 1,600 pounds more, so that probably has something to do with it too. It also tracks dead straight through rollers in a way our own Yamaha never could. On the other hand, Malibu and Axis tend to have nearly flat hulls at the transom and tend to be a bit harder riding in chop. Moomba, Sanger, Centurion, and I think Supra all run pretty deep Vs and I bet you'd find that they provide an acceptable, if not better, ride in chop than you'd expect.
Orange, that makes me feel better. Our day out on the lake consists of cruising 10-15 minutes, then water sports or anchored in a cove so my wife can lounge and read a magazine. Our Yamaha isn't a true "deep vee" and is light so based on your reply I can't imagine a deeper wake boat riding any worse than our Yamaha.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Don't forget about the Supremes. They come from the Centurion family and are nice boats for the money. They have a deep V hull so they can handle rough chop just fine and throw a nice wave. I also really like the Supra boats but I ain't made of SE450 or 550 money :(

Last edited:

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree. Esp when Scarab and Chap give you the option of up to 500hp. What does a 242 have? Maybe 360?
I'm not sure Yamaha views either as a serious competitor.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Don't forget about the Supremes. They come from the Centurion family and are nice boats for the money. The have a deep V hull so they can handle rough chop just fine and throw a nice wave. I also really like the Supra boats but I ain't made of SE450 or 550 money :(
Haven't looked at supreme. Will have to check them out. My neighbor has a '17 SE450 and it's crazy nice. A lot of $ for a boat though.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Haven't looked at supreme. Will have to check them out. My neighbor has a '17 SE450 and it's crazy nice. A lot of $ for a boat though.
If I were to sell my boat today and go shopping for a wake boat the Supreme would be near the top of my list because of price, features, ride, quality, etc. I can't afford a Centurion and I don't care for the "bow floor hump" on them but a Supreme has a lot of the Centurion DNA in it (ram filled sub floor ballast, Quick Surf side-to-side, etc) but much cheaper as it's still in the "budget' wake boat realm.

Last edited:

jarozi

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm hoping they address the surf issue as well. We've had our 242 LS for a couple years now and it's been a great choice for us. However a friend of ours recently got a Malibu 22 footer that we can surf ropeless behind and it's got us thinking of making the jump to a more surf dedicated boat. Not really interested in the add-on wedge or bags on the seat. The new 2018 Axis A24 just came out and is looking like another strong value candidate. If you can call an $85k boat a value. Otherwise we may go the used option.

So anyway, very interested to see if Yamaha answers the surf question in a meaningful way for the 2018 model year.

Freezer41

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If I were to sell my boat today and go shopping for a wake boat the Supreme would be near the top of my list because of price, features, ride, quality, etc.
Nice but the bow is too small. Spoiled by my 242LS

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
While you may lose some bow leg space (hard to tell) look at how much you gain in cockpit. I couldn't find a newer Yamaha top view but the older ones had more space because the seat can fold down to a bench and it would still be small compared to the S238. Seating capacity is 16 people on it compared to 12 on the 24' Yamahas and I know which would feel more cramped quicker. I think you would be surprised how spacious some of these wake boats can feel.

Attachments

Last edited: