• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 212X Ballast Issue

Tmstrouse

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Does anyone have a photo of what your stock center ski locker ballast bag looks like when full? When I fill my center bag via the Connext screen to 100% it only looks to be about 25% or so physically full. I know the older models had a way to calibrate the ballast but I don’t think that procedure works on the newer boats.

I also seem to get water leaking from either the pump or bag. After using the ballast there is always water in the locker...not enough to make it seem like the entire bag is leaking but enough where I don’t think it’s normal. I’ve checked the connections and they seem snug and tight. I’m probably going to pull the bag and fill it with air to see if it leaks.

I’m pretty sure the stock ballast bags are from wakemakers and the fittings are the Flow Rite quick connects. Has anyone replaced the fittings for something better or swapped out for a better ballast bag that fits more weight? I want everything to still work with the stock Connext.

Thanks for the help!

Whisky

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hey @Tmstrouse, I know that I seem to have a problem with my bags/tanks not always filling all the way sometimes also.

for mine, 2017, I can access the calibrations by holding the SYSCTRL button (i think) for a few seconds, the system then opens an advanced screen allowing ballast calibrations. I recalibrated at the beginning of the year, then again a few weeks back because it seemed the bag/tanks weren't filling all the way again. I also discovered, that sometimes (not always) I can force additional water into the tanks by holding the up arrow after filling has finished. I will calibrate until water comes out of the overflow on the tanks, then the next time out I can use this override to add additional water and sometimes it even maxes out before the overflow starts up. Not sure if it's just that as the water temperature/conditions change the water flows differently, or what but I now keep an eye on everything when filling and if I find things aren't full when I want them to be I will recalibrate.

As I wrote this it occured to me, I usually calibrate each tank separately, which would limit current draw compared to having all 3 pumps running at once since the calibration is just a timer, I wonder if when I calibrate each pump separately the pump runs faster allowing for a faster fill than when all three are running at once, perhaps they run a bit slower providing less fill in the calibrated time. I will have to try calibrating all three at once then seeing if it holds calibration better.

On the water in your storage locker. Do you have the drain plug in the bottom closed? I sometimes find water in here also, usually its no more than a few drips from one of the connections, if that. But a while back I found quite a bit and discovered I hadn't reseated the plug. When sitting (not on plane) in the water, under that locker is the lowest part of the boat so if there is water in the bilge it can settle there and if the plug is removed, will, depending on how much is in the bilge, come back up through that drain.

Tmstrouse

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Whisky

Thank you for the help, got the boat out today for the first time after your reply. The steps you laid out worked. I tried calibrating all three ballast at the same time, the problem that I ran into is that I hit the maximum number of “cycles” on the center ski locker bag before it was visibly full. It did fill much more than before (maybe 75% full). The aft tanks filled until overflowing through the bilge eyes on each side of the boat.

I am going to try it again tomorrow with just the center bag and running no wake mode to see if I can get more water in before hitting the max cycle cutoff.

All three tanks drained completely after the recalibration.

Whisky

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hmmm, glad the calibrations worked, but that is very strange on the centre tank not being full before running out of cycles.

Definitely doesn't sounds right, I think my next step would be to confirm there are no restrictions along the intake. Check for kinks in the hose, make sure the valve is fully open, if you can maybe crawl under and check the intake grate for anything that may be blocking it partially or causing a restriction just behind it.

If all of those check out, I wonder if maybe the pump impeller is damaged? I don't know if that can be confirmed or if the pump would just be replaced (which would help to rule out any other problem with the pump itself anyways).

I think at that point though, given the age of the boat and warranty, I would get the dealer to take a look and have it fixed under the factory coverage.

WetWillie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
After calibration it’s said to be best to fill the center ballast independently and then the rear tanks as to not overload the pump vs timer... As you want the pump working full flow capacity on the center bag solely to reach a fuller sack... 😄

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
This has been an ongoing issue with bags not filling completely or emptying I created cable that can be used to power up the pumps and fill or drain them as needed. It has other uses as well like winterizing trouble shooting and can be used without the motor running . The center locker bag being below the water line can sometimes allow water in . Just unplug the pump from the harness plug in the cable and clamp on to the battery terminals with reverse polarity or regular polarity to fill or empty works on the 2019