• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 242x Smaller Intake Grates?

goose4010

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Wondering if there is a set of aftermarket grates with the bars closer together. Where the boat is kept its super shallow (30") and I keep sucking up weeds even at slow idle to get out to the lake...which in turn has me throw an overheat code. Does anyone make any smaller grates? Any concerns about water flow restriction if anyone has seen?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I wouldn't attempt this - those grates are engineered for the pumps. However you could try:
  1. Opening the buckets further / going faster to allow the weeds to suck through.
  2. Varying the throttle to "blend" them up.
  3. Buy a weed rake/cutter and mow yourself a path (we do this at my families cabin)

goose4010

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Going faster would be a tough option coming into the dock given how shallow...but may need to try the weed rake to see if that will do the trick. Was worried that about the engineering impact of changing the grates.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Going faster would be a tough option coming into the dock given how shallow...but may need to try the weed rake to see if that will do the trick. Was worried that about the engineering impact of changing the grates.
RE the weed rack, we go out in a pontoon first, drag the weed rake slowly behind it. Takes about 30min to do a path large enough for one boat to get through. Also helps to find/market/avoid stumps.