• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Pump intake grates- thinking of trying something taboo

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So I got to do some testing with our new pumps. I still cannot come on plane on each engine ( single ) with my L13's in but I do have more traction then I did last year. Port pump is all 3 washers, Starboard was only the blue washer I do believe.

Last year it was a struggle to maintain 11 with the ski locker bag full, transom bag full, and my 2 daughters sitting in the rear of the boat while my wife was driving.

Yesterday I filled my transom bag, center locker bag, and filled my port bag 100%. With all of that full, my 2 daughters, wife, and myself in the boat we were able to not only maintain surf speed we were able to hit 15 mph before it started to lose traction. I didn't put on the wedge and I didn't shot video since it was just a quick test.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I got to do some testing with our new pumps. I still cannot come on plane on each engine ( single ) with my L13's in but I do have more traction then I did last year. Port pump is all 3 washers, Starboard was only the blue washer I do believe.

Last year it was a struggle to maintain 11 with the ski locker bag full, transom bag full, and my 2 daughters sitting in the rear of the boat while my wife was driving.

Yesterday I filled my transom bag, center locker bag, and filled my port bag 100%. With all of that full, my 2 daughters, wife, and myself in the boat we were able to not only maintain surf speed we were able to hit 15 mph before it started to lose traction. I didn't put on the wedge and I didn't shot video since it was just a quick test.
That's great!
(It really is hard to believe sometimes what Yamaha lets through its (non?) existing QC process... I guess they make sure there are things for us to fix as hobbists; my boat was a hobby-lobby special no doubt!!!!)
(but then again, we look at poor guys with 2014 Scarabs... and we cry for them, lol)

Anyway, my bondo looks great after about 10 hours on it!
I'm very encouraged this is the way to do it. It will need a finish to last a long time but I am very happy with the results so far. I will wait few more hours to make sure, before supermetalgliding the pumps (see post #95 on previous page), want to make sure the fiber-bondo holds well. It should be the bomb.

--

Last edited:

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Nice now it looks like I need to pull the pumps and do some bondo too.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice now it looks like I need to pull the pumps and do some bondo too.
My results are holding really good after the last round of Bondo porting.
Surfing fully ballasted with about 2,000lbs of ballast the boat jumps out of the water and pulls like a mule at 10.5mph with 6,400RPM on the tachs.
7EC58620-8DFF-4ECC-BD7C-773F647872D1.jpeg

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I have not got the the Bondo yet. I have been working on sound proofing. The only thing I have a issue with is the pump to fiberglass flexing and the bondo getting hair line cracks that leak air again.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have not got the the Bondo yet. I have been working on sound proofing. The only thing I have a issue with is the pump to fiberglass flexing and the bondo getting hair line cracks that leak air again.
Yep, I plan on Supermetalglide'ing it for that very reason. Will report back.

--

CrankyGypsy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
So, the intake grate removal idea has been abandoned/untested?
I see talk of this for boats on SeaDoo forums, but no application and results. I'm planning to remove mine on my Challenger 180. As far as detriment to stability, I'm questioning if a boat is as susceptible as a ski? But, I chuckle when I read the guys on Green Hulk saying "you'll suck up a stick" - as if sticks always approach the pumps perpendicular. May not be their only purpose, but I feel their main purpose is arm-sucking prevention - I'll take my chances with the lightning-strike possibility of a giant @swatski rock. My reasoning for wanting to try it is I sucked up a rope after 1hr on the water and had to call it a day because I couldn't get my hand in there far enough (no cleanouts) diving under the boat. I cut off what I could and had to limp it back to the dock, making matters worse. Unfortunately, during the rope removal, I opened up a can of worms deciding to clean and replace some additional driveline stuff, so I'm waiting on parts ...will report back.

As for the pump shoe smoothing, I think I used 4200 on my AR230 that held up well and used acetone to clean before application. I would also consider regular 3M silicone - I know it says "not below waterline" but I tend to believe that is for moored boats and I have never had an issue with it where I "shouldn't" have used it. Besides, it is what Yamaha uses to seal the pump shoe and those things are tough to get off! I think it's malleability compared to 4200/5200 makes it more tenacious against the vibrations. It is messier, so I usually put painter's tape down, smear it on, smooth it out, and remove the tape for a very clean application. SeaDoo uses something black they refer to as "Adchem Sealant" which looks and feels similar to clear silicone.

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
GREAT... Now I have something else to add to the list of stuff that I "NEED" to do. lol

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, the intake grate removal idea has been abandoned/untested?
I see talk of this for boats on SeaDoo forums, but no application and results. I'm planning to remove mine on my Challenger 180. As far as detriment to stability, I'm questioning if a boat is as susceptible as a ski? But, I chuckle when I read the guys on Green Hulk saying "you'll suck up a stick" - as if sticks always approach the pumps perpendicular. May not be their only purpose, but I feel their main purpose is arm-sucking prevention - I'll take my chances with the lightning-strike possibility of a giant @swatski rock. My reasoning for wanting to try it is I sucked up a rope after 1hr on the water and had to call it a day because I couldn't get my hand in there far enough (no cleanouts) diving under the boat. I cut off what I could and had to limp it back to the dock, making matters worse. Unfortunately, during the rope removal, I opened up a can of worms deciding to clean and replace some additional driveline stuff, so I'm waiting on parts ...will report back.

As for the pump shoe smoothing, I think I used 4200 on my AR230 that held up well and used acetone to clean before application. I would also consider regular 3M silicone - I know it says "not below waterline" but I tend to believe that is for moored boats and I have never had an issue with it where I "shouldn't" have used it. Besides, it is what Yamaha uses to seal the pump shoe and those things are tough to get off! I think it's malleability compared to 4200/5200 makes it more tenacious against the vibrations. It is messier, so I usually put painter's tape down, smear it on, smooth it out, and remove the tape for a very clean application. SeaDoo uses something black they refer to as "Adchem Sealant" which looks and feels similar to clear silicone.
IIRC I sucked the giant tick through the unmodified factory grate. So there is that.

No, I would not modify it again, my two new grates went on stock. I think thevgsins are fairly minimal and I feel those are already fairly weak alloy.

I am not aware of any top-loader grates that work so well in jet skis help alleviate cavitation in boats or increase top speed. The loading is just different.

Maybe @satovod is leading us in the right direction? Any results with those, yet? I’m very curious.

satovod

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Toploader intake grates have long history in pro/sport jet ski industry and well proven effectiveness. I set mine in 2011 and have never regretted the money spent.

google it toploader grates +jetski

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Toploader intake grates have long history in pro/sport jet ski industry and well proven effectiveness. I set mine in 2011 and have never regretted the money spent.

google it toploader grates +jetski

Yep.
What about jet boats?

satovod

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
what the difference between jetski and jetboats? none actually. On boats with twin jet setup at V hull toploaders shall be even better.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
what the difference between jetski and jetboats? none actually. On boats with twin jet setup at V hull toploaders shall be even better.
Engine/Pump load, Depth in the water, likelyhood of exiting the water, overall speed vs engine rpm. Lots of differences between the two that will inherently affect the fluid dynamics associated with the pump.

With that said, So far "most" mods for the ski have translated well to the boats. L13 cone, and pump sealing are two notable ones.

Anyone know of someone that has fabbed/tried a top loader intake on a jetboat? I have a spare intake grate, access to aluminum, and a very skilled welder. If anyone thinks it's really worth a try, I'll give it a shot.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
where can i get this online ? .. thanks
This was my contact. Super nice and knowledgeable.

Ashley Hayes
Administrative Assistant
Belzona Gateway, Inc.
8124 Bunkum Rd. Suite 2
Caseyville, IL 62232
888.774.2984 (Office)
618.593.3084 (Cell)
ahayes@belzonagatewayinc.com

--

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For planning on one engine I suggest trim tabs. I can do it on my sx230 with a trim tab setting and moving people to the front of the boat. It takes several seconds to reach plane, but I can maintain 17mph on a single engine a little below WOT