• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2020 212S Wakesurfing - Dialing in the wave...

Speedyjunk

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It completely has to do with the weight of the person surfing as to the need for a bigger wave to get more push. The Yamaha website shows a person surfing behind the 212XD with nothing more than stock ballast and the wake booster. it’s a small girl that probably only weighs about 100#.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
It completely has to do with the weight of the person surfing as to the need for a bigger wave to get more push. The Yamaha website shows a person surfing behind the 212XD with nothing more than stock ballast and the wake booster. it’s a small girl that probably only weighs about 100#.
About 220 on the 5’3” Coaster.

Last edited:

francis3

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I know summer is almost over up here in WI. However I finally had a chance to use my custom fat sac bag on my 212S with the WakeBooster yesterday. Was able to go ropeless with just this setup. Keep in mind I had a full tank of fuel, the normal junk on my boat, and a light crew under 200lbs. Really need to figure out a better way to secure this bag so if anyone has a 21’ and has pictures please post.
To secure the 725# custom fat sac, I use two 15' dock lines:
  1. Attach to stern cleat, through the bottom fat sac handles, tie off on the other stern cleat. This leaves some extra rope, which I tie off on one of the bottom handles so that it's out of the way.
  2. Tie on bottom of tower, run through top fat sac handles, tie off on the other side of the tower.
I hope that's helpful. FYI, here are some more details about our setup...

I found it's helpful to adjust the fat sac as it's filling so that it sits flat on the bottom swim deck, up against the lower transom. As the bottom fills, I also adjust the fat sac on the upper swim deck so that the bottom lays flat on the upper deck and all the way towards the rear seats.

Note that we also use some steel shot -- 50# bags from LeadWake.com. The steel shot doesn't seem to move, but you'll see in the pics that we put it in a yellow dry bag and tie it to the tower.

We've got a 2017 212X that includes some stock ballast. For the pics below, we set up as follows:
  • WakeBooster,
  • Hydrophase Ridesteady at 10.5mph
  • 725# custom 21' fat sac in the center of the swim deck. In center because we switch between regular and goofy.
  • 600# stock ballast sac in the ski locker
  • 250# stock ballast on the surf side
  • 0# stock on the non-surf side
  • 150# steel shot in a dry bag on the surf-side upper swim deck
  • 100# steel shot on the surf-side rear seat
  • 175# captain driving the boat (surf-side for these pics)
  • 150# spotter who moved around the rear seats -- not sure where he was for pics below
  • mostly full tank of gas
Note that the 725# sac was in the process of draining when pics were taken. We always fill the sac 100%.

Surfer is about 175#, 5' 11", riding a 4' 8" Slingshot Coaster. (Coaster from Transom Watersports - thanks @J-RAD !) Was able to surf ropeless indefinitely.

Boat is new to us this year and we are very happy with our wave. But plan to keep experimenting. Comments and suggestions welcome! Next will try steel shot in bow to lengthen the pocket. If that decreases height or push too much, will also try some more steel shot in the stern.

IMG_9385.jpegIMG_9387.jpegIMG_9389.jpegIMG_9456.JPGIMG_9457.JPGIMG_9459.jpeg

Last edited:

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
good looking wave! Congrats on working it till you found the recipe.

Zigggy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Anyone have any experience setting up a Yamaha 190 FSH for wakesurfing? It it possible?

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Anyone have any experience setting up a Yamaha 190 FSH for wakesurfing? It it possible?
Possible, yes. You need a few items obviously you can always start with just the custom transom bag. However to make this work well you need a very skilled driver to hold speed or RideSteady or Perfect Pass these will hold speed at MPH and not RPM’s. On the 19 foot I think 10.2 mph was the sweet spot. I can’t emphasize how finicky the speed is, even a skilled driver has his work cut out for them to hold the right speed. Odds are you will need to upgrade your cone to a Lucky 13 and will need at least another ballast bag to put up front, this will help you plane out. Now with all that said you can have fun without all this stuff, it just depends on how serious you are of going ropeless. Keep in mind this depends on your weight and board size as well. My 9 year old was able to surf ropeless on my 2017 AR195 with no ballast or other mods on the Connelly Dash kid’s board.