• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2020 AR210 Trailer Coupler Height

rrmadore

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought a 2020 AR210 last week and I'll be towing with a 2017 Audi Q7. The Audi recommended ball mount measures 19" to the top of the ball from the ground with no cargo or people in the Q7. Does anyone know what the coupler height measurement is for the trailer w/ boat when level??

Also, does anyone know what the average drop in coupler height is when the boat on the trailer is fully loaded i.e. 50 gal of fuel (300lbs) and other standard items in the boat?

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I appreciate that you have consulted the technical documentation for your Q7. I can’t help with the height as the boat and trailer has changed from mine. Am I guessing right that you are just tying to figure what drop hitch to get to be level and in the “sweet spot” for your Q7? While I am sure it could be measured, drop with full fuel and equipment is not going to affect the coupled height much. The trailer axle suspension will soak up most of that and with the rest transferred to your vehicle rear axle through the hitch, the result is a very minor angle change and drop. Since hitches come in 1” drop increments and usually allow the ball to go on either side (up or down) it should not be hard to guess right.

rrmadore

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you for the info. The Audi recommended ball mount gives me a 2 inch rise to put the top of the ball at 19 inches from the ground and I was told by the boat dealer they would like to see the top of the ball at 20 to 21 inches. I have no experience towing, but from the research I've done it sounds like the "sweet spot" is having the top of the ball mount within 1 to 2 inches of the bottom of the coupler. Problem is that the Q7 drops by about a half inch with my wife, 2 boys and some light cargo in it. We plan on traveling a lot with the boat throughout New England for extended stays which will require more cargo. So, I'm expecting the ball mount to drop to about 18 inches or so with the Q7 fully loaded.

For me to go higher than the 19 inches I'm at now, I have to go outside the recommended Audi ball mount size parameters. See attached pic.

So, I'm curious if anyone has a 2020 AR210 and what the height of the coupler is at when level with the boat loaded and dry.

Attachments

yall_mahaw

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
@rrmadore - it looks like we are going to have a very similar setup as you with a 21’ boat being towed by a Q7. I’m going through the same exercise that you went through trying to figure out the correct ball height, what did your trailer coupler height end up being? How have you found the Q7 handles the towing of your AR210?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Most if not all of the 21' boats coming from the dealer have an incorrect tongue weight and they are too heavy. Additionally a lot of boat owners will just get boats, hook them up and never check it. So whether you are buying a new or used boat on trailer you should check the tongue weight and adjust accordingly. Proper tongue weight should be 7-8% as per Shorelandr on their trailers.

Also, does anyone know what the average drop in coupler height is when the boat on the trailer is fully loaded i.e. 50 gal of fuel (300lbs) and other standard items in the boat?
There is no Average drop. It all depends on the vehicle, suspension and proper tongue weight. For instance, mine on my Expedition drops barely 1/2". When I had to move it with a friends truck around the driveway this last week, it drops 2" or so.

Boat should sit level on the trailer when hooked up to the Tow Vehicle with the proper tongue weight and tow vehicle and boat fully loaded.

CarolinaJet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2021 AR210. The bottom of my coupler is 20.5” from the ground when leveled and on a flat surface. Now, be careful w the measurements because some want to compare with the inside height of the coupler (so you can compare to the top of the ball on your tow vehicle).

yall_mahaw

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
Thanks @CarolinaJet that’s helpful. The formula that I am using states ‘ measure the distance from the ground to the top of the inside of your hitch receiver (A), and subtract it from the distance from the ground to the bottom of the trailer coupler (B). Hitch drop or height will be equal to B - A. Really just needed to know which mount to get. The only mount I have currently is a straight mount that is under the weight rating that we’ll need.

Once we take delivery, we’ll be sure to check the tongue weight and make any adjustments that are necessary.