• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2021 242

Calphor

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I talked with a dealer today and he wasn’t sure what the engine options would be on the new 25 foot boats. He was hoping there would be an updated engine(s).

I guess we’ll find out for sure on Wednesday.

KCAR250

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Updated engine would be great! I guess I’ll have to sell my GP1800R for a new version of that too!!!

KCAR250

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I put the money down because a dealer is reducing price of the new boat by 2k and originally I was told that new boats will be out mid August . Now with possible redesign that’s not realistic . Also I can get my money back if I don’t like the options . I just don’t know if there will be better deals at the boat show if there will be a boat show this winter .I personally would go after 2-3 year old boat but my wife made a deal with me : new boat or no boat :) I sold my LS2000 3 weeks ago thinking new boat was just around the corner :(
what dealer are you working with that would give you $2k off MSRP and does that include freight and prep?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
From what I understand the new 25' won't be delivered to dealers till November or December. Our boat shows, if they happen are in January and February. If in fact end of the year is when they will land and dealers, I don't have much hope in any discounts first part of the year.

KCAR250

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
From what I understand the new 25' won't be delivered to dealers till November or December. Our boat shows, if they happen are in January and February. If in fact end of the year is when they will land and dealers, I don't have much hope in any discounts first part of the year.
I don’t care about paying MSRP I just don’t want to pay some stupid, overpriced freight and prep.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don’t care about paying MSRP I just don’t want to pay some stupid, overpriced freight and prep.
I would rather get some sort of a deal or discount, hopefully under MSRP, I don't have the luxury of throwing extra money around. Gives me cushion and less of a hit if for whatever reason I need/want to sell it. My 2020 is still with more than what I paid for it OTD and what I have in mods on it. But then again I have a boat so I have the convenience of being selective and patient at this time. Unfortunately I know there are those who don't and that makes it so much harder and dealers can take advantage of that. Hopefully everything will stabilize over the winter, so people don't get taken advantage of and they can get a boat reasonably and enjoy it.

KCAR250

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would rather get some sort of a deal or discount, hopefully under MSRP, I don't have the luxury of throwing extra money around. Gives me cushion and less of a hit if for whatever reason I need/want to sell it. My 2020 is still with more than what I paid for it OTD and what I have in mods on it. But then again I have a boat so I have the convenience of being selective and patient at this time. Unfortunately I know there are those who don't and that makes it so much harder and dealers can take advantage of that. Hopefully everything will stabilize over the winter, so people don't get taken advantage of and they can get a boat reasonably and enjoy it.
What did you pay (excluding sales tax) for your 2020? If you don’t mind me asking. Did they give you a deal?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I see a heavily discounted 242x in my future. If this is true, the market on the 24' series will take a hit as soon as they actually start shipping. Keeping in mind, they will be concentrating on the early release models to fill the pipeline. And if history holds true, the first year of a new hull may ship much later, and possibly be pre-order only like the 275 series the first model year.
@biffdotorg I respectfully disagree. The 25’ while a great option, the price tag that it comes with will likely be prohibitive to many of the 24’ boat owners. Look at the low and high end 24’ now, they’re starting mid fifties and reaching eighties for fully loaded X model. The 25’ will likely start mid sixties and reach nineties. That’s a lot of money for an extra ft and some nice upgrades.
Therefore, those will be out of reach for many of the 24’/25’ seekers so instead, they will be looking for used 24’ because they don’t want to go down to 21’. That my friend will make the current 24’ value not only stabalize, but more than likely increase.
You better get your 24’ X now instead of waiting until prices go up on those. These are the laws of supply and demand!

Best of luck to everyone in search of what they are looking to get.

Calphor

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My local dealer told me that he was expecting a $10K increase in price on the “252X” vs the 2020 242X price. Hopefully it is not as steep on the lower end.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@biffdotorg I respectfully disagree. The 25’ while a great option, the price tag that it comes with will likely be prohibitive to many of the 24’ boat owners. Look at the low and high end 24’ now, they’re starting mid fifties and reaching eighties for fully loaded X model. The 25’ will likely start mid sixties and reach nineties. That’s a lot of money for an extra ft and some nice upgrades.
Therefore, those will be out of reach for many of the 24’/25’ seekers so instead, they will be looking for used 24’ because they don’t want to go down to 21’. That my friend will make the current 24’ value not only stabalize, but more than likely increase.
You better get your 24’ X now instead of waiting until prices go up on those. These are the laws of supply and demand!

Best of luck to everyone in search of what they are looking to get.
Nah, I think we are in agreement here. The demand will remain high for used 24's. But it cannot increase greater than MSRP. The folks trying to sell used 24' boats at or just below MSRP are totally crack smoking. They can't go up any higher.

And even though i'm not quite on a ramen and hot dog budget, I would never justify a $90K boat. But there are plenty that are. Look at all these folks putting down deposits on boats that have yet to even release! Why else would these boat dealers like Cycle springs be not only taking, but advertising that they are taking pre-orders on 2021 boats that don't even exist yet? There is huge demand. And those folks that have priced a current $78K boat, will only take a couple nudges to pop up to $90K.

It's crazy, and downright hard to believe. So I hear ya. Stabilize is the best word you used, 100% agree. But there is no room to increase. I laugh outloud when I see ads for 2011 242LS's like mine with an asking price over $40K or a 2015 242ls at MSRP when it was new over 5 years ago.

When I say I am looking for my next used boat, I mean in 5 years. I gain nothing but a big stereo project and seadek project by going to a couple year old 242x. Mine is setup near perfectly for what we do.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Did you ever get the feeling that freight/prep is probably a very similar amount as potential discount off MSRP for a reason?

To one guy, getting any sort of discount off MSRP is a win and then they pay dealer prep. To the next guy, not paying for what someone calls an overpriced prep/freight charge is crazy, so they drop it and pay MSRP plus tax. In my mind, those two guys got the same exact deal, but they both feel like winners.

Call me crazy, but I think those numbers are very similar. (some guys are tickled with a coast guard kit, yeah orange yoke lifejackets and $3 air horn)

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@biffdotorg I got a discount off of MSRP and no dealer prep or Destination. But I do see the point you are making. But I guess it could be that I paid dealer prep and destination and taxes but got a huge discount off of MSRP. I guess it is a game of numbers and line items. In the end I paid OTD under MSRP with tax, and everything else. That is all that mattered, regardless of how they itemized it.

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Nah, I think we are in agreement here. The demand will remain high for used 24's. But it cannot increase greater than MSRP. The folks trying to sell used 24' boats at or just below MSRP are totally crack smoking. They can't go up any higher.

And even though i'm not quite on a ramen and hot dog budget, I would never justify a $90K boat. But there are plenty that are. Look at all these folks putting down deposits on boats that have yet to even release! Why else would these boat dealers like Cycle springs be not only taking, but advertising that they are taking pre-orders on 2021 boats that don't even exist yet? There is huge demand. And those folks that have priced a current $78K boat, will only take a couple nudges to pop up to $90K.

It's crazy, and downright hard to believe. So I hear ya. Stabilize is the best word you used, 100% agree. But there is no room to increase. I laugh outloud when I see ads for 2011 242LS's like mine with an asking price over $40K or a 2015 242ls at MSRP when it was new over 5 years ago.

When I say I am looking for my next used boat, I mean in 5 years. I gain nothing but a big stereo project and seadek project by going to a couple year old 242x. Mine is setup near perfectly for what we do.
Putting a fully refundable deposit down to hold a spot until one can decide when pricing and options are disclosed is one thing, following thru once sticker shocked is another. IMO with the introduction of an expensive (my prediction) 25’ boat especially if SVHO options are included as those are not cheap, Yamaha may have created a big gap between the 25’ and next option down 21’. This situation will greatly enhance the 24’ used boat market due to their price point which will stabilize as these become a very attractive options.
Yamaha used to be a great value boat given the realiability and value, while we still have the reliability (quality sucks sometimes), the value has been diminishing over the years and now people in the market for boats should really consider other brands since pricing on those with discounts is now competitive with Yamaha where in the past it wasn’t.
We shall see in a couple of days what pricing and options will be included and whether the 25’ will be value added or not. Hope the pricing won’t jump too high but I have a feeling it might.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Pretty good possibility that the gap you speak of will be minimized by a price hike on the 21' boats as well. 212 boats have many times had the same engine as the flagship 24's.

So it's possible that the 212x would be a gap fill with 1.8 SVHO engines as well. That extra juice to push around ballast would be appreciated. As noted by others including myself, for day to day cruising, more hp and fuel consumption is not high on the want list. But for the ballast laden folks, it's always appreciated.

KCAR250

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
View attachment 130235
My brother and I pulled the trigger on this 252se . Should get it in 4 weeks . Got my 2k discount for early deposit !
Great news! Did they add freight and prep or did you pay $2k less then MSRP with that included?

Dwrack

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Does anyone know why this new 252se is much heavier . I think it’s around 600lbs more then last year .