• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2021 252S - both engines wont start - do not turn over

ezrider

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
Hello all,

I brought the boat home today from winter storage, which is also temperature controlled, and I put the batteries in (which were on trickle and fully charged) and tried to start them.

I get this weird electrical, clicking type of noise. Similar to what happens when your car battery dies. Odd though that it is happening with both engines. Everything else works. The blower works, the screen comes on, the radio works, etc..

When I turn the key to try to start, something did come up on the screen, saying low voltage and contact your Yamaha dealer.

I ended up going to get new batteries. While I was at the store, I had them test the old ones and both came back good. However, for the sake of the process of elimination, I bought the batteries anyway, came home and installed them, and I'm getting the same exact problem. I do not think it is the batteries ...

Does anyone have any thoughts on what this could be? Perhaps something came loose on the ride home from being on the trailer?

Lanyard is in, the drives are in neutral ... Is there anything else that could prevent them from turning over?

Any thoughts? I would be super grateful. Thank you everyone.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
the hatch for the cleanout port, check the cutoff switch. also make sure boat in neutral.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Check cables at battery switches

Gooch

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just got mine out of storage…..same thing happened. Turns out I just forgot to attach the clip for the kill switch.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Make sure you hooked ALL of your battery cables back up. If you have checked the above suggestions, kinda sounds like a ground is off

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I've had similar scenario and found my battery cables were not tight enough on the battery terminals.

ezrider

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
Make sure you hooked ALL of your battery cables back up. If you have checked the above suggestions, kinda sounds like a ground is off
This is exactly what it was!

I ended up looking at an old picture that I took from when I winterize the boat for the first time. I like to take a lot of pictures for reference and one of the pictures I took was of the battery cable set up.

One of the ground cables fell back and became hidden. So when I hooked everything back up, I didn’t see it. Quite the novice mistake. However, lesson learned …

On a similar note, there is another ground cable that lays on the bottom that has never been used. Not sure what it is for as the boat came new with it just being zip tied to other cables. I’ll take a picture for reference later and post it.

Thank you so much! As you can imagine, I am super relieved.