• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2021 275sd initial thoughts/ review

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
sorry missed your reply. The whole trip was really nice. We plan on making that again this season. Very easy to navigate. The inly part i dont like and is slow going is behind atlantic city. If you have never gone that way then its great the first time. After that it gets a little dull. I like to go out the absecon inlet in brigantine and take the outside around atlantic city then go in the next inlet south and take the icw the rest of the way. There are a few places along the way you can dock and eat lunch. The deauville at corsons inlet or the tuckahoe inn right next to the power plant. Both are good
Fantastic, thank you sir, great info!
Looking forward very much to make the trip there, I even have the new 2021 Waterway Guide Northern edition (delayed) on order, lol, as I have little hands on experience specifically on the ICW.
I've been so surprised to find (almost) no slow speed zones around the Kill and NYC Port/Bay, in general. Hope that doesn't change with the influx of new boaters.

--

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I just used silicone. No gasket necessary. I dont remember exactly what i used to het the plastic one out. It just presses in there so wasnt hard. Just a screwdriver or putty knife and a small hammer to get behind it.

i hear ya and i agree totally. What company makes a boat then drills a 3/4” hole only 2” above the waterline then for the most part, leaves that open to dump into the bilge. I have never seen a boat in my life that doesnt have a thru hull fitting when you penetrate the hull. I didnt buy the yamaha trailer. I got a loadrite elite aluminum so comes with all led lights and a nice non marking bow roller. Trailer is really super nice and only slightly more than 1/2 the price of the yamaha one. Yamaha wanted a little over $10k for theirs which is nuts. Wheels are nicer on the yamaha but thats the only thing.
So the hole in the hull is 3/4", and the ID of the fitting is 3/8" ? Just making sure I order the right fitting. Thanks.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Hole is aprox 3/4”. I did the install months ago so i forget but that is about right. I know the id of the thru hull is 3/8 though for certain. If you order a 3/8 thru hull then it will be the right one

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
update....

well splashed the boat today. took it for a quick 20 min run to be sure everything was ok and the few things i did to it this spring all worked good. some of the things i did to the boat were put a pair of gp 27 northstar pro batteries in it. just didnt trust the small gp24's with all the electronic hydraulic systems. didnt want to float for the day with the radio on then not be able to steer or shift. the sd boats use the seastar optimus system for the steering and control systems. i added a set of thrust vectors as well. these made a nice difference in slow speed steering. ceramic coated every square inch of the boat. water just rolls off now. hopefully it makes the washing and cleanup easier. put a keel guard on. had one on my 232 and worked great.

one thing i was noticing last season was the cavitation off the line. its was pretty bad. you could actually hear it in the boat. looking in the pump tunnel the metal section for the cleanout plugs was hanging down into the tunnel really bad. actually it was worse than any yamaha i have seen. it was just a hair under 1/4". i ended up doing some glass and epoxy work in the tunnel to mold that all in. it now has a nice smooth, uninterrupted flow. hammered it off the line today and all cavitation is gone.

one other issue i had that i dont remember mentioning this winter is with the side window glass. it sounds like a big deal but really minor actually. it was falling out lol. before installing glass there is a black primer that gets brushed on then the black urethane adhesive bonds to the primer. this is exactly the same as a windshield in your car. the primer was out of date or just bad and didnt stick to the glass so both of my side windows were releasing from the fiberglass frame. i had seen this issue before when working on yachts years ago. i ended up having an auto glass guy come out to the house, pull the glass, clean it up and rebed that. took him about 20min per side. i just sent the bill to the dealer and they sent me a check a few days later. all yamaha required was a couple pictures to document the issue. they covered it no questions asked.

so overall there have been a couple minor issues since oct when i got the boat. nothing big really and all easy fixes. nothing i feel that was out of the ordinary for a new boat punch list. there are always a few quirks that need addressing. so as of now i am really happy with it. as long as i dont end up with a broken drive shaft and a blown motor like the guy in the other thread then we are good.