• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2021 275sd initial thoughts/ review

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Just to follow up as well. I picked up a fortress fx-11 and 10ft of stainless chain. It just fits, 1/3 the weight and no rust. The only thing i had to do was open up the holding blocks slightly. The round bar on the fx is about 1/16” too big dia. Just a little dremel took care of it. Picked up the fx for $147 shipped to my door.

ron, maybe im wrong but isnt an 8lb anchor a little small for a 27’ boat. I had a 14lb come with mine. I think a 8lb is more for 19-21’?

Faraim97

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275E
Boat Length
Fortress web site says fx 11 is good for 32 ft.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Yep, 28’-32’. Its about the same size as the danforth that the dealer installed when i bought the boat.

Faraim97

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275E
Boat Length
What size chain did you use?

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
here is a link to a stainless 3/8" thru hull for the anchor drain. 3/8 must be an odd duck because they are really hard to find. 1/2" and up no problem. 3/8 you really gotta do some digging but thats the size you want for any yamaha anchor drain.

ourlee

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
I love these 275s so much. I speak for everyone here: you cant post too many on water pics ENJOY!

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Thanks. I only got a few weekends of water time before it had to be put away for the winter. I have mine now over at the canvas guy’s shop so he can make a custom cover for it. Still about 10-12 weeks before its floating again

bradb21

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I'm pretty happy with the mooring cover for mine that I got from Yamaha. It fits really nice and is very tight.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Can you explain the tow point and how it works? Does it pivot up somehow?

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I keep my boat wet slipped and the yamaha mooring cover just doeant work for this. I mean it could but what a pia they are to get on in a slip and also deal with the dock ilnes. Not to mention the pooling pole straps. I had the mooring cover for my 23 when it was on the trailer. Worked great for that as a winter cover. For a daily cover i need something that comes off and on real easy and doesnt cover the cleats

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Ahhh the tow point. Your guess is as good as mine. It doesnt pivot. It stays upside down. I think you need to wrap twice around it. I have not tried it. Ill know more by mid june

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Yes however to get the thing on you need to untie the boat, get the cover on then somehow get your lines from the pilings again, retie up the boat all while trying to weave yourself in and out of the pole straps. In the water it makes for a major pia. A daily use cover should not be that difficult. Oem cover is great for the trailer, towing or longer term storage. They do fit real nice. The fabric that commercial sewing uses is crap though. After a year water just pours right through it even if you rewaterproof it. After haveing a really good quality custom cover made on my last boat, you really cant even compare and I would never go back. Only bad thing is that a really nice one is 3-4 times the cost of oem.

bradb21

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Yes however to get the thing on you need to untie the boat, get the cover on then somehow get your lines from the pilings again, retie up the boat all while trying to weave yourself in and out of the pole straps. In the water it makes for a major pia. A daily use cover should not be that difficult. Oem cover is great for the trailer, towing or longer term storage. They do fit real nice. The fabric that commercial sewing uses is crap though. After a year water just pours right through it even if you rewaterproof it. After haveing a really good quality custom cover made on my last boat, you really cant even compare and I would never go back. Only bad thing is that a really nice one is 3-4 times the cost of oem.
You're not wrong there. I'd love to see pictures of what you end up with.

I only use my Yamaha cover when I'm not using the boat for extended times. This week I just had a cover installed over my lift, so I will only install my Yamaha cover when I'm not in Florida (which is most of the time).

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
ill post some pictures once its done. should probably have the boat back in a little over a week. i wasnt too hot about the idea of putting snaps all down the side of the boat. it has such clean lines i thought it would ruin it so we are going with these new white composite snaps. they are matched to the hull so you dont end up seeing silver dots all over the place. ill get some shots of those too.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ran the boat today all the way from the dealer in south jersey all the way up home to my marina. 2/3 up the state. Ran the intercoastal all the way up. Was a good 5.5 hr trip. Boat performed flawlessly. No more leak from the anchor drain. That drain pipe was just too short to make it through into the locker liner. Thats all been corrected. I filled up before i left and with the trip i was actually surprised by the fuel mileage. Thought it was going to be a gas guzzler compared to my 232 with the mr1 ho’s but overall i my 232 would have used about the same amt in that trip. Cruise is 5500 on the boat which is 30mph. Thats a little slow so i found 6k to be a good compromise. Its a small jump from 1.7 to 1.6mpg according to the connext and am running at 35mph which is what i cruised my 232 at. Wide open 52mph she sucks some gas though. I dont run wide unless im passing someone or running from a storm. Engine noise is loud but not quite as bad as my 232. 232 had that high pitch whine like there were some open turbos spooled up. The svho are deeper and less annoying. Overall a little quieter. And easier on the ears.
I would love to hear more about that trip, sounds pretty awesome!
My understanding is that the southern part of NJ ICW is not trivial to navigate, beautiful though.

--

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
im bummed, i hauled the boat out today so thats it for the season. i did confirm that the anchor light DOES NOT come on with the bilge pump. i tried with pumping water out automatically and with turning it on manually. i also confirmed that with both battery switches off, the bilge pump does still work. this is for 2021. im not sure if its the same on the 25's and below. in the 2020 275 the manual says it works only when battery switches are on.

now for the anchor locker drain leak. i really didnt want the dealer messing with it even though they said they would. i just dont think it would be done in the proper way. i am posting pics below. it took some digging but i found a very small 3/8" stainless thru-hull fitting. this is a direct replacement for the yamaha plastic drain fitting. the OD is exactly the same so no drilling is required. i pulled the plastic out, applied some silicone and slid the new thru-hull right in and put the nut on the inside. the length was exactly correct also. i found the fitting on amazon but i must have gotten the last one because the link now takes me to the 1/2" version which is too big. 3/8" is what you want

View attachment 136322View attachment 136323View attachment 136324View attachment 136325
Did you put anything against the hull on the outside like a gasket or just the silicone? Also any insight on how to remove the plastic one? This stuff just drives me nuts, if your going to put a drain in make it right or why bother. Now that I started, a few other items that should be addressed as well not putting led brake lights on the trailer, the factory bow roller, and the bias tires. Honestly I would rather pay more up front and not have to replace new junk that is included. It just amazes me how Yamaha has this great resource of a forum and doesn't change these simple things. Keep in mind this is my 3rd Yamaha boat, but these items are just frustrating.

Last edited:

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I just used silicone. No gasket necessary. I dont remember exactly what i used to het the plastic one out. It just presses in there so wasnt hard. Just a screwdriver or putty knife and a small hammer to get behind it.

i hear ya and i agree totally. What company makes a boat then drills a 3/4” hole only 2” above the waterline then for the most part, leaves that open to dump into the bilge. I have never seen a boat in my life that doesnt have a thru hull fitting when you penetrate the hull. I didnt buy the yamaha trailer. I got a loadrite elite aluminum so comes with all led lights and a nice non marking bow roller. Trailer is really super nice and only slightly more than 1/2 the price of the yamaha one. Yamaha wanted a little over $10k for theirs which is nuts. Wheels are nicer on the yamaha but thats the only thing.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I would love to hear more about that trip, sounds pretty awesome!
My understanding is that the southern part of NJ ICW is not trivial to navigate, beautiful though.

--
sorry missed your reply. The whole trip was really nice. We plan on making that again this season. Very easy to navigate. The inly part i dont like and is slow going is behind atlantic city. If you have never gone that way then its great the first time. After that it gets a little dull. I like to go out the absecon inlet in brigantine and take the outside around atlantic city then go in the next inlet south and take the icw the rest of the way. There are a few places along the way you can dock and eat lunch. The deauville at corsons inlet or the tuckahoe inn right next to the power plant. Both are good