• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2021 275sd initial thoughts/ review

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Well since its currently out of stock at amazon the specs arent listed for it anymore but i can say it was aprox 2.25-2.5”

Ron Westman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Good day, I took possession of my 2021 275SD Saturday. On the way to the condo I was thinking I made a BIG MISTAKE in buying this boat. NO pep from a dead stop to full power. WOW, what a dog..... Then Sunday I went down to boat to familiarize myself with the boat. For example where do I fill the fresh water tank? How do you turn on the sink faucet or shower?

After looking around I read about the three acceleration settings. Then I remembered hearing about these settings. Turns out it was set to SLOW. Changed it to HIGH and what a difference.

Quick question: Can someone tell me which anchor on Amazon fits this boat? The anchor at the dealer costs too much. Most of the anchors on Amazon don't give the anchor measurements. I have attached a picture shows the measurement of the bar that gets secured for storage. Looks like the bar should be approximately 21 inches. I am also concerned about the height of the anchor, etc.

I am waiting for my local lift/hoist company to adjust the bunks on my hoist. My old 212 had a taper front and the bunks never seems to work great. The 275 looks like the area for the bunks is better thought out. The bunk area on the boat is horizontal and appears to be parallel. Looks like my 16 foot bunks will be exactly what the boat needs and hopefully will help to center the boat when the hoist is raised.

I find the sound system to be a BIG improvement. On the way to the condo I was near full power and I could still easily hear the music. Nice improvement.

I get a lot of people looking at my boat when I pass them. I think people like the looks. I am glad I purchased this boat. I will provided updates along the way.

Please let me know about the anchor.

Ron

Attachments

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
hi ron, congrats on the boat. its funny your dealer didnt go over all this stuff with you and show you how everything works. water tank is filled under the aft stbd seat where the cleanout port is. little garden hose connection. you turn on the pump for the shower and sink on the connext screen. should be a button that says shower. i think its under the boat page at the top. funny though you mention the acceleration. that is under the drive page and i saw that but i didnt think that the accel speed setting did anything unless you had that drive function activated. i do think if you punch it that you get quite a bit of cavitation. i dont ever really nail it like that though out of the hole.

i just looked at the anchor the dealer put in my boat. they threw all this stuff in with the purchase so it is nothing fancy or nice. just your basic galvanized anchor. its a danforth s920 14lb anchor. price is about 50 bucks. at some point i might replace that with a nice fortress or something. i have noticed that no one can go by my boat without staring at it. its just a very unique look and design so its attention getting.

Ron Westman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thank you Scott for the information.

Another thing I don't like about the Yamaha boats is the radio reception. I am looking at adding an external antenna. Do you know where the radio head is located? On the 212 it was back at the swim platform (stupid place).
Any ideas of where and how to add an external antenna?

Ron

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
hmmm, my reception is actually really good. the antenna is under the helm. there is a std antenna jack there coming out of the connext screen with the antenna wire plugged into it and loomed up under the helm compartment. ita a banana plug style jack on the end of a black wire. check to see that the antenna wire is actually plugged in and that it hasnt fallen down. it should be strapped up with tyraps. its a std antenna wire, clear, flat with 2 conductors. if you wanted to add an external antenna then that would be easy. its a std connector so just unplug the factory one and plug in your new antenna.

jim

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
concerning the anchor, if you want something a little nicer then i took some measurements and a fortress fx-11 should just fit. 1/2 the weight and easier to manage. i am probably going to replace the one the dealer gave me with this. the wife is always on anchor duty so i think the fortress would work better for her. the other one is much heavier and harder to manage so i know she is going to eventually do some gelcoat damage up front trying to wrestle that thing around.

Ron Westman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thank you. I will start looking at the Fortress FX-11.

Ron

Faraim97

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275E
Boat Length
Let us know if it fits.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I dont think that one will work. I assume the 19” width spec on that is the length of the round bar. For the 275 you need a 21-22” bar to reach into the holders. I do like the poly coating though. Makes it easy on the boat.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you Scott for the information.

Another thing I don't like about the Yamaha boats is the radio reception. I am looking at adding an external antenna. Do you know where the radio head is located? On the 212 it was back at the swim platform (stupid place).
Any ideas of where and how to add an external antenna?

Ron
If you are getting a VHF antenna it is relatively easy to install a splitter for the FM, they can work well.

@mrcleanr6 That new tower and hard top look amazing! Very stylish boats, I love the looks.

--

BGN123

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
How long is the fitting?
im bummed, i hauled the boat out today so thats it for the season. i did confirm that the anchor light DOES NOT come on with the bilge pump. i tried with pumping water out automatically and with turning it on manually. i also confirmed that with both battery switches off, the bilge pump does still work. this is for 2021. im not sure if its the same on the 25's and below. in the 2020 275 the manual says it works only when battery switches are on.

now for the anchor locker drain leak. i really didnt want the dealer messing with it even though they said they would. i just dont think it would be done in the proper way. i am posting pics below. it took some digging but i found a very small 3/8" stainless thru-hull fitting. this is a direct replacement for the yamaha plastic drain fitting. the OD is exactly the same so no drilling is required. i pulled the plastic out, applied some silicone and slid the new thru-hull right in and put the nut on the inside. the length was exactly correct also. i found the fitting on amazon but i must have gotten the last one because the link now takes me to the 1/2" version which is too big. 3/8" is what you want

View attachment 136322View attachment 136323View attachment 136324View attachment 136325
I had mine replaced too. With a plastic one though. This boat is so much fun. Does anyone know how shallow of water you can take this in? I went to a sandbar this weekend and had the bottom bumping on the sand. Just pulled it into about 6 more inches of water and the. Left no problem. But what would it take to get stuck in this boat. When it’s moving how shallow can you go?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had mine replaced too. With a plastic one though. This boat is so much fun. Does anyone know how shallow of water you can take this in? I went to a sandbar this weekend and had the bottom bumping on the sand. Just pulled it into about 6 more inches of water and the. Left no problem. But what would it take to get stuck in this boat. When it’s moving how shallow can you go?
I would not start the engines when stationary in anything less than about 3' if there is any chance of rocks sitting on the bottom.
However, once moving on plane - it totally depends on the type of the bottom and your familiarity with it.
In areas of my old river with silty bottom I traversed over about 3-6" of water. You just have to have faith, and need to keep moving, lol.

This is a 240, not 275, though, but you have wider beam so should be able to go shallower, lol.
I wouldn't recommend doing what I do, but sometimes going really shallow was the only way to get out or get back in my old place on a small river.
:cool:
1605492359441.png

I have gone over shallows of about 2-3" if I can find footage, that was a little unnerving. In those instances you need to go fast.
--

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Well the boat itself drafts about 2’. This should apply to all our boats but i have found that i typically want 1.5’ under the boat. At idle i could be ok with 1’. Give it any gas though and youll be sucking bottom at 1’. Maybe not rubbing but sucking material. Not good for the impeller. So figure 3-3.5’ of actual depth

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Swatski beat me to it lol. I believe the 275 drafts about 6 mire inches than the 24 but i could be wrong. If so that would put his and my measurements about the same.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well the boat itself drafts about 2’. This should apply to all our boats but i have found that i typically want 1.5’ under the boat. At idle i could be ok with 1’. Give it any gas though and youll be sucking bottom at 1’. Maybe not rubbing but sucking material. Not good for the impeller. So figure 3-3.5’ of actual depth
Yep. It's pretty impressive of what these pumps are capable of sucking in...
This rock was sucked in and impaled by the impeller blade, I had to pull the pump and chisel it out, lol.
I think this is the largest in my collection, approx the size of a baseball. Just to illustrate - going very shallow has it's own perils.
1605493407441.png

--

Hike

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Congrats on the new boat and thanks for the write up on behalf of us dreamers who would love to own a 275 someday! I have a 2008 sx230 with cobra fins and want to know if the 275 can take the same tight turns as our old boats? Also how does the speed/acceleration compare? I'm obviously most interested in joy riding ;)

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Well i went from your boat to this one. 275 is a little faster for sure. Ive had it to 52mph. I think it turns just as well. My boat if you just mash the throttle from no wake speed it has some cavitation which slows it down. If you let it hook up a sec though then mash it, the accel is much faster than my 232 ever was. The easy fix for the cavitation is to change the impellers. In the spring i am going to go through the pump tunnels and make sure everything is filled and sealed. If that still dorsnt do iten ill change impellers if its too annoying. Stock yamaha impellers kinda suck. My fzs was ok stock but as soon as i did any performa e work the impeller just wouldnt hold. You could break it free with ease. Solas concord at 450hp and i still get zero cavitation.

Ron Westman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Good day, I took possession of my 2021 275SD Saturday. On the way to the condo I was thinking I made a BIG MISTAKE in buying this boat. NO pep from a dead stop to full power. WOW, what a dog..... Then Sunday I went down to boat to familiarize myself with the boat. For example where do I fill the fresh water tank? How do you turn on the sink faucet or shower?

After looking around I read about the three acceleration settings. Then I remembered hearing about these settings. Turns out it was set to SLOW. Changed it to HIGH and what a difference.

Quick question: Can someone tell me which anchor on Amazon fits this boat? The anchor at the dealer costs too much. Most of the anchors on Amazon don't give the anchor measurements. I have attached a picture shows the measurement of the bar that gets secured for storage. Looks like the bar should be approximately 21 inches. I am also concerned about the height of the anchor, etc.

I am waiting for my local lift/hoist company to adjust the bunks on my hoist. My old 212 had a taper front and the bunks never seems to work great. The 275 looks like the area for the bunks is better thought out. The bunk area on the boat is horizontal and appears to be parallel. Looks like my 16 foot bunks will be exactly what the boat needs and hopefully will help to center the boat when the hoist is raised.

I find the sound system to be a BIG improvement. On the way to the condo I was near full power and I could still easily hear the music. Nice improvement.

I get a lot of people looking at my boat when I pass them. I think people like the looks. I am glad I purchased this boat. I will provided updates along the way.

Please let me know about the anchor.

Ron
After doing some research I found an 8lb anchor kit on Cabela's for $90 with free shipping. Sku: 1646438.