• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2021 AR 190 Fell Through - What about a 2018?

caphilli

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In Jan I put a deposit on a 2021 AR190. I learned this week that I most likely won't get a boat. If I do, it won't be until Aug/September.
After hunting around, I found a 2018 AR 190 is great condition. 75 hours. Cover and tower speakers included.
A couple questions here:
1) What are the big differences between the 2018 and the 2021 models?
2) What should I look for mechanically? I've never owned a jet boat - so I'm not 100% sure what I need to check.
3) Does Yamaha offer any sort of extended warranty for used boats?
4) What are the "must have" accessories (other than life jackets/bumpers, ropes) I should start adding to my wish list?

Thanks!

lgparra

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
1) There are some differences for sure but overall, a 2018 is not all that different than a 2021 at the end of the day. Size wise, 2019 and newer is 3 inches longer and the beam is 2 inches wider. On the interior, the bow, glovebox, helm and bench seat are shaped slightly differently due to the slight size difference. 2019 and newer some of the seats are hinged compared to 2018. And the 2021 would have the digital conext screen vs the 2018 which has the analog gauges. 2021 will also have the removable cushion over the engine bay for stepping into the boat. Beyond that I can't think of much else.

2) When looking at a used boat the #1 priority is making sure all is mechanically sound. Around the outside make sure the hull is in good condition (no cracks, can tell the owner regularly cleaned/waxed it). Inside have the owner start the engine up and make sure all is well. Check the dipstick and give it the eye test. It should relatively clean and free of water/contaminants. Make sure the impeller blades are in good condition free of nicks and chunks. Make sure the reverse bucket moves freely when moving the throttle through its full range of motion. Electrically make sure all the components like lights, bilge pump, batteries, stereo, etc. are in good working order. In general, most people take pretty good care of their boats but I personally feel like you can get a good insight of how well they take care of things by just taking notice of their car/truck, their garage, any toys in the garage, house etc. A bonus would be someone who has records of any service they performed or at the very least receipts. If you aren't mechanically inclined, don't hesitate to bring a friend with to help. Tons of YouTube videos, google searches to point ya in the right direction as well.

3) Unfortunately not sure on this one. The owner may have opted for the 5 year warranty which would still cover you for another year or two if they did. But these boats are solid quality wise. Good chance anything that'd go wrong with a 2018 would likely be minor but obviously a warranty provides peace of mind to some.

4) Beyond the legal safety stuff a lot of things are super subjective. Steering enhancements (Cobra vs Thrust Vectors), Covers (Yamaha OEM vs snap-in), bumpers (mission sentry vs. standard cylindrical), audio (JL vs WS vs. Kicker), anchors (Danforth vs box) and the list goes on and on. This forum is an awesome resource to guide you on those sorts of things. "Must have's" IMO would definitely be one of the two steering enhancements, a Stoltz bow roller, dual battery setup with on-board charger, and trailer guide on's if not already installed.

Other than that I'm sorry to hear about the delay and possibly not getting a boat. That's rough. If you wanted to be on the water this summer, a 2018 AR190 would still be a great choice! Best of luck!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In Jan I put a deposit on a 2021 AR190. I learned this week that I most likely won't get a boat. If I do, it won't be until Aug/September.
After hunting around, I found a 2018 AR 190 is great condition. 75 hours. Cover and tower speakers included.
A couple questions here:
Thanks!
See my notes below. I personally LOVE our little 190. It's not winning any drag races, but it gets tons of compliments every time we're out. It's cheap and easy to own, pilot, tow, and store. It's a really good spot on the "Smiles per dollar" curve of boat ownership IMO.

'19 was the year that the 19ft boats got the connext screen. I personally prefer the "analog" style gages and switches to the screen, but I'm probably in the minority. The '19 and newer boats are a little longer (3in maybe), and have some revised seating. Again, I prefer the older style. Also, the storage area in front of the helm didn't show up until '19. I cut a hole and put a door in mine. Not quite as nice as the factory job, but it works, and was less than $100 in supplies. Lots of "butt pucker" when you cut a GIANT hole in your boat though :D

2) What should I look for mechanically? I've never owned a jet boat - so I'm not 100% sure what I need to check.
Jet boats are dead simple. The pre-'19 AR190's are REALLY REALLY simple. Make sure the steering is smooth, and the throttle is smooth in both directions. That tests the control cables. Check the oil and make sure it doesn't smell burnt or look milky. Put the throttle all the way forward (without engine running), and look up into the nozzle. Should see no leaks or evidence of leaks from the cone area. You'll know it when you see it. Climb under the boat and look at the leading edge of the impeller. You want to see no nicks/scuffs/dings on that leading edge. The 19ft N/A boats are prone to cavitation for some reason. You'll want to check for that on the test drive. From a standstill at idle in neutral, slam the throttle forward (after warning all occupants you're going to do that of course). If it just "hooks up" and takes off you're good. If it "spins out" for a second then you have some cavitation. Usually it's an easy fix with an impeller repair, L13 Cone, and tunnel sealing (All under $200 in parts and a half days time). Finally check the boat for signs of how it was cared for in general. Typically people who keep a clean and tidy boat, will have kept a clean and tidy powertrain as well. A clean bilge area, a generally clean cockpit. Lubricated and clean pivot points on the nozzle, things like that are good indications of the general care that was given to the boat.

Do check the trailer. Look for evidence of bearings being greased and ready to go. Check the tires are properly inflated and match in size and type. Check for a spare. Check the coupler works like it's supposed to. Look at the bow roller and check for cracks and damage (you'll want to replace this with a Stoltz in short order anyway). Is the winch strap in acceptable condition, does the winch work as it should? Check the tie downs on the back. It's common to see the flange the tie downs attach to be bent, both of mine are. Some have boat buckles (ratcheting tie downs) others use the old school "cam lock" style (that's what I have and like them just fine).

Check the cover and see that it fits well, the stitching is in good condition, and it isn't about to fail. If it's sat out in the sun the cover is likely in rough shape. Mine sits in the garage and looks brand new going into season 3 of it's life. You can use all these little clues to get some insight into what kind of life the boat lived before you got there. Also keep in mind. MOST of these things are NOT dealbreakers, but rather leverage tools to work on price and getting a fair deal. This side of engine problems, or hull problems, the members on this board can help you fix most everything with basic hand tools and a little time. The 190's are about the simplest boats you can own to be honest. They're remarkably robust due to that simplicity. Just not much to go wrong there.

Probably if you buy from a dealer you can work something out. If you're buying from an individual seller then most likely not. For reference, my '17 AR190 has been to the dealer exactly once, and that was for the initial 10hr inspection, and to have a cracked intake grate replaced. I've done all the work myself in the garage since. This will be our 5th season on this boat, and it's showing no signs of issues at 175-ish hours. Change the oil/plugs/filters (air and oil) once a season. Check the oil a few times a season. Basically turn the key and drive it around. General inspection every 10hrs or so (usually when I'm drinking a beer and piddle-farting around in the garage).

4) What are the "must have" accessories (other than life jackets/bumpers, ropes) I should start adding to my wish list?
I'm assuming this means you are new to boating, not just jet boating. Most people that have been around boats know what they need/want. No big deal, just means you need tom experience to know what you need/want. The things you NEED are what keep you legal and safe. Life vests, fire extinguisher, signaling device (horn, mirror, flares, etc), anchor with appropriate rope for your location, and some dock lines (to tie to a dock, or to another boat for a tow home if needed). From there it's all about what you want to do with your time on the water. We carry a tube and rope, an inflatable Stand Up Paddle Board and a couple pumps. Wakeskate and Ski rope. TONS of pool noodles. Floatation doo-dads for lounging in the water. Couple of coolers for drinks, snacks, lunch. Beach bag with towels, sunscreen, phone cases, etc. Toys for the little ones (water guns, toy boats, goggles/snorkels). I also carry a small tool bag with some basic hand tools and some electrical supplies. I have 150ft of spare braided rope, extra dock lines, bumpers, and some electronics (Wetsounds A-Link, various charging cords, etc). I carry a LiPo jump pack, just in case. It's small cheap insurance. We still forget something almost every outing, you make do though. Biggest suggestion here, get what you NEED first, then spend some time on the water. You'll create your own list of "must haves" in short order, and you'll add/remove crap from the boat list for the remainder of your time owning it :D

Good luck!

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
A couple questions here:

Thanks!
A couple other changes I can think of is the bucket is different and it has a smaller fuel tank. The fuel tank in my opinion is not a big deal as the 190's are very fuel efficient, especially before they redesigned the hull. The bucket design allows for more side ways movement at docking in reverse does this boat have fins or a Lateral Thruster? Don't get me wrong the new 19’ boats feel bigger, however I like the seating layout in the older ones (especially the storage under the rear starboard seat). This still has a big feel to a 19' boat. They are both great boats, post some pictures if you end up buying it.

Last edited: