• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2021 AR250 Connext

MikeT29

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So my AR250 has less than 15 hours and something seems strange. I'm pretty sure that when I took delivery and I was given the tour of the boat by my sales guy that either key would turn on the Connext screen and get things moving. While I was flushing the boat after our weekend trip, I noticed that turning the port side key to on won't fire up the Connext. I can start the port engine. And if I turn the starboard engine key to the on position that Connext screen comes on. But if only the port engine is running and starboard key not on then the Connext won't come on.

Is this normal?

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I could see this being normal. The port key simply triggers the ACC of the boat. Would be easy to re-wire so both do it.

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hmm... would have to check on mine, but i recall both turning on the Connext screen. At least when I flush the engines that is what I have noticed.
Will verify next time im out on the boat and reply back. Now im curious on this.

OB WI

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
This is odd. I was just in my AR250 today and both port and starboard side will turn the screen on with the other switch off without turning the engines on.

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So my AR250 has less than 15 hours and something seems strange. I'm pretty sure that when I took delivery and I was given the tour of the boat by my sales guy that either key would turn on the Connext screen and get things moving. While I was flushing the boat after our weekend trip, I noticed that turning the port side key to on won't fire up the Connext. I can start the port engine. And if I turn the starboard engine key to the on position that Connext screen comes on. But if only the port engine is running and starboard key not on then the Connext won't come on.

Is this normal?
Dam it, Billy (Yamaha’s electrician) is back drinking again!

LakesideLaw

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine is the same way… AR250 and only the starboard key turns on connext screen. Works just fine… my dealer indicated that it is set up properly that way.

MikeT29

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It seems like the 2021 should work with either key (I emailed my sales guy, he confirmed, and I'm pretty sure it worked initially that way) so I'll have to stick my head in that storage area and see if maybe some wire/connection is off. I'm going to bring the boat in for its initial service in two weeks so if I can't find something simple I'll have the dealer look at it.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
My 2020 will turn Connext with either key. Do you have any of the "e drive" systems that might explain why it's different?

MikeT29

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My electronic gremlins seem to have multiplied now. Today, the Connext won't come on with either key. Nor will the blower turn on when the key is turned and the horn doesn't blow. Both engines will start; the port engine would not shut off when the key is turned off. I had to pull the shut off red cable to shut it down.

I was able to get in behind the dash and pull both of the ignition modules and make sure all wire connections are good (they were not all solid) and also disconnected the harness that leads away from the ignition and reconnect that to make sure it was solid. I've shut off the batteries for a while, and checked every fuse in the box near the batteries. Will check the manual next to see if there are other fuse locations to check. My gut tells me there's a bad fuse or connection or electronic component somewhere in the mix.

I did make an appointment for service in a couple of weeks but was expecting the boat would still be useful during the interim.

Open to suggestions at this point.

Last edited:

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My electronic gremlins seem to have multiplied now. Today, the Connext won't come on with either key. Nor will the blower turn on when the key is turned and the horn doesn't blow. Both engines will start; the port engine would not shut off when the key is turned off. I had to pull the shut off red cable to shut it down.

I was able to get in behind the dash and pull both of the ignition modules and make sure all wire connections are good (they were not all solid) and also disconnected the harness that leads away from the ignition and reconnect that to make sure it was solid. I've shut off the batteries for a while, and checked every fuse in the box near the batteries. Will check the manual next to see if there are other fuse locations to check. My gut tells me there's a bad fuse or connection or electronic component somewhere in the mix.

I did make an appointment for service in a couple of weeks but was expecting the boat would still be useful during the interim.

Open to suggestions at this point.
Ok, something similar happened to mine on my first time out. Everything worked, except both my engines would not shut off even with the battery switches turned off, lanyard pulled and rear hatch opened. Had to disconnect the ECU harness for it to turn off. Took it to the dealer and it was a loose ground on the ECU harness causing the problems. One of the pins wasn't crimped tightly and the wire wiggled itself loose from the deutsch plug.

Sounds as if its a similar issue but affecting more in your case.

MikeT29

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks @1WetBoat! Can I ask a favor? Can you post a picture? I've tried to google up an image of where I'd find the ECU harness and come up empty.

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks @1WetBoat! Can I ask a favor? Can you post a picture? I've tried to google up an image of where I'd find the ECU harness and come up empty.
I have the boat in storage but its simple. Open up the engine hatch and right behind each engine you will see the ECU/Fuse boxes bolted to a black plate/bracket of sorts. On each plate the fuse block is on the left and the ECU is on the right. In my case, it was the right most plug on the ECU i had to unplug to shut my engines off.

1623528048660.png

MikeT29

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for your help! This board is truly awesome in terms of knowledge and willingness to help a fellow boater in need.

Unfortunately I've reached the boiling point on trying to diagnose this myself and will be bringing the boat back to the dealer tomorrow. I emailed them over the weekend and am waiting for their response. I get that they're busy but am hoping for some type of support and help from them to diagnose and repair on a timely basis.

I bought a brand new boat to a large degree because I got sick of dealing with issues like this on my old boat. So having $68K paperweight sitting in my driveway isn't setting well with me right now.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Could be sticking my noise in where it dont belong, I saw a thread where the guy had all the connectors on those switches come lose and some fell off. He went and wrapped them with electrical tape and was up and running. Granted there is NO reason a new buyer should have to do this. Im really concerned sh!t is being rushed out of the factories to try and fill the covid backorders

LakesideLaw

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for your help! This board is truly awesome in terms of knowledge and willingness to help a fellow boater in need.

Unfortunately I've reached the boiling point on trying to diagnose this myself and will be bringing the boat back to the dealer tomorrow. I emailed them over the weekend and am waiting for their response. I get that they're busy but am hoping for some type of support and help from them to diagnose and repair on a timely basis.

I bought a brand new boat to a large degree because I got sick of dealing with issues like this on my old boat. So having $68K paperweight sitting in my driveway isn't setting well with me right now.

Sorry to hear of the troubles... and I was out this weekend and I was wrong - both my keys fire up the Connext system. I have about 15 hours on the boat now and not having any of the troubles you mention. Who is your dealer? My dealer has a guaranteed in on Monday out by Friday - so long as they have the parts. I took it in for 10 hour service - dropped it Sunday night on way back from the lake - 10 hour service and I had like 3 other "gremlins" discovered in the first 10 hours - nothing major but it was done and ready to hitch back up to the lake on Wednesday - I picked it up that Friday. The more I read these boards the more blessed I feel to have found a really good dealer. Yamaha ownership experience seems to be tied in large part to the dealership you bought from.

MikeT29

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
By all means please do feel free to stick your nose in, that's the whole point of the board! I'm open to any suggestion that keeps my boat from sitting in the dealer's yard for the next four weeks and appreciate all feedback.

I did remove both of the 'modules' where you put in the ignition keys and pulled them out, checked the four wires that have what I would refer to as poorly-designed/weak connections and pushed the wires in as tight as I could. I will say that during re-install at least one came undone while I replaced the module into the dash board (I could see it dangling) and so I had to backtrack and reconnect. I would have hoped if it was a loose connection that at least one of the two sides would have been OK after that - but the connext still would not engage nor would the blower.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Im really concerned about quality issues in these latest run of boats. Call me old but having my 2013 analogue gauges reduces some of the problems Im reading here.

MikeT29

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Update - dealer replaced the connections from both ignition switches (there are four wires that come from each switch) and we seem to be good so far. Really not impressed with some of the fit/finish and quality here. Have a new issue, will start a new post. These things should not be happening on a boat with less than 20 hours.