• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2022 SX195 Steering Lockup

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
5/19 status update
Dealer called and said they are going to warranty out the cable as they see no signs of rust or corrosion, yet did not give me a final root cause as to what they found. They stated they ordered the cable but it shows to be on back order with no ETA. I will leave the boat there over this weekend and next week as I will be out of town, and if they cannot get it fixed (said it could be months) then I will bring it home.

Glad to see my a$$hole persistence paid off, this one I wasn’t rolling over on.

I do find it funny that he submitted the paperwork to his supervisor for review and “Yamaha” was so quick to turn it around. Again, makes me think the dealer is picking and choosing what they warranty out. Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t think he could give me a reason to not warranty out the item as I already did my own investigation into it.

Glad to see the dealer is willing to do the right thing! Faith in humanity is slowing increasing.

Waterpusher

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Good to hear that there is progress and hope they expedite the delivery of the cable.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
5/19 status update
Dealer called and said they are going to warranty out the cable as they see no signs of rust or corrosion, yet did not give me a final root cause as to what they found. They stated they ordered the cable but it shows to be on back order with no ETA. I will leave the boat there over this weekend and next week as I will be out of town, and if they cannot get it fixed (said it could be months) then I will bring it home.

Glad to see my a$$hole persistence paid off, this one I wasn’t rolling over on.

I do find it funny that he submitted the paperwork to his supervisor for review and “Yamaha” was so quick to turn it around. Again, makes me think the dealer is picking and choosing what they warranty out. Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t think he could give me a reason to not warranty out the item as I already did my own investigation into it.

Glad to see the dealer is willing to do the right thing! Faith in humanity is slowing increasing.
Dealers have been known to charge people and also warranty it out so they can double dip. Not saying that this was the case, but does happen.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Latest update as of 5/31
Called Barney’s in St. Pete to request an update on the cable. Dealer asked if I was able to source the cable myself opposed to them ordering it and having the boat wait. No ETA on the cable from the dealer.

I did take @harmanst advice and reached out to the cable manufacture via email yesterday to see if they will warranty me a new cable, waiting to hear back.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
6/1 Update
I received back a few emails from Dometic (steering cable manufacturer) this morning and they will be sending me a new cable (in-stock) to my house early next week. I have decided to by-pass the dealer warranty and replace the cable myself. Once the cable comes, I will update this thread with the findings from the old cable and process of removal and installation of the new cable.

Glad to see Yamaha was willing to warranty out the cable and Dometic was willing to warranty out the cable. Not happy to see the dealer dicked me around like they did.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
They should have covered that without question. Extended warranty declined my cable but it explicitly states it does NOT cover cables.

These cables are garbage, seeing many of these posts lately.

Waterpusher

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Considering all, I would do the same but I’d be an unhappy customer at the same time and we all know what that means.

harmanst

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Hoping your cable install goes well! Just a helpful tip from when I replaced mine. To remove the old cable, when you unscrew the nut at the transom, leave it threaded a bit and tap on it with a pipe or deep socket to free up the cable assembly from the hull.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
How did you remove the nut from transom? I saw somewhere to use a 22mm O2 sensor socket as it’s cut to allow for the cable to run through and offset for the socket extension.

harmanst

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
How did you remove the nut from transom? I saw somewhere to use a 22mm O2 sensor socket as it’s cut to allow for the cable to run through and offset for the socket extension.
Correct, I used an O2 sensor tool with a 3/8" 12" long extension to break the nut loose (it was not super tight). As you are replacing the entire cable assembly, the steering knuckle will be removed from the jet outlet so you can easily slide the O2 sensor tool over the cable and get purchase on the nut. Once you have everything put back together, be sure to seal the back of the transom with 3M 4200 (semi permanent) or 5200 (permanent) marine grade sealant, I used 5200. Also, I taped a wire to the end of the old cable so when I pulled it through the hull I would have a "pull string" for the new cable. String would get caught on things, so a wire worked better (like an old wire coat hanger un-folded). I have been on a lake 7 times since I installed the new cable, it is still buttery smooth! I feel like the new cable is smoother than the OEM cable which failed, and it is labeled the "Extreme" cable which I understand is an upgrade. In the photos I added, the cable passes through the fuel tank compartment on the starboard side corner, then through the engine compartment and into the transom. One photo shows my sealant application, not pretty but it works. The last photo shows the final install where I added a zip tie to the rubber boot hoping to prevent it from slipping off the joint where my OEM cable allowed water in.

Attachments

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
6/18 update
Hi all it’s been a minute since my last update. Spoke with the cable manufacturer yesterday and they said it was slated to be finished up late yesterday. I called the dealer and spoke with the service manager in regards to my cable replacement by them, and how they are going to work with me on the $235 diagnostic fee that showed nothing more that what I told them originally.

I told the service manager I did some of my own leg work (not mentioning how I got the contact info or who I spoke to) to find a steering cable and told him that the manufacturer was slated to send me one at no cost as as defective RMA swap as they needed to place an order and have it made. He then told me that he has been calling them everyday since November trying to get an update and can’t believe they responded back to me and not him, being a dealer. I told him when I come to pick up the boat when my cable comes in, we need to address the diagnostic fee. He told me to bring the cable with me when I come to pick up the boat because he doesn’t believe they are sending me the correct item and how I can get one before him.

harmanst

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
6/18 update
Hi all it’s been a minute since my last update. Spoke with the cable manufacturer yesterday and they said it was slated to be finished up late yesterday. I called the dealer and spoke with the service manager in regards to my cable replacement by them, and how they are going to work with me on the $235 diagnostic fee that showed nothing more that what I told them originally.

I told the service manager I did some of my own leg work (not mentioning how I got the contact info or who I spoke to) to find a steering cable and told him that the manufacturer was slated to send me one at no cost as as defective RMA swap as they needed to place an order and have it made. He then told me that he has been calling them everyday since November trying to get an update and can’t believe they responded back to me and not him, being a dealer. I told him when I come to pick up the boat when my cable comes in, we need to address the diagnostic fee. He told me to bring the cable with me when I come to pick up the boat because he doesn’t believe they are sending me the correct item and how I can get one before him.
Wishing you the best of luck getting your money back. The cable will be the correct part, mine has been working flawlessly since I installed it....smooth as butter! Considering the manufacturer has no problem making the cable for you, I wonder why the dealer is giving you, and I am sure others, the run around? I can only assume this is what I would have had to deal with if I choose to work with my dealer to have my cable replaced. Also, I believe you will receive the upgraded "extreme" cable which should provide longer life. My cable had an "extreme" label on the box which is the premium cable...I would be surprised if the OE cable was premium.

Attachments

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
The kicker is, I called Yamaha corporate to see if I have any warranty claims against my vin number, he said no claims have been submitted by the dealer for warranty work. So I’m guessing 1 of 2 things happen:

1: the dealer buys the part from their supply house, performs the labor and submits the bill to Yamaha.
2: they never submitted a claim for Yamaha to send them the part.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
6/30 Update
Spoke with the steering cable manufacture yesterday, the cable is made, they are just waiting for the last part to arrive that is on back order then they can finish it. They are hoping to ship it out sometime next week and hopefully I can be back on the water sometime next month.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
7/11 Update
The steering cable arrived from the manufacture!IMG_0823.JPGIMG_0825.JPGIMG_0826.JPG

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
7/16 Update
I picked up the boat from the dealer in St. Pete this morning and to my surprise, they did the right thing and warrantied out the diagnostic fee so I didn’t have to pay anything. I brought the new cable that the manufacture sent me and the guy I spoke with was SO surprised they made me a cable, but can’t make them one. Thankfully the dealer already removed the old cable so cover off to cover on replace time was roughly 2 hours. I’m going to allow the sealant to cure this week and splash down next weekend. FINALLY able to get back on the water. I think for safe measures, I will disassemble and lube the cable every 2nd time out to hopefully prevent this in the future. Thank you everyone for the help and guidance in getting this resolved and fixed!