• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

210 FSH - Lectrotab Trim Tabs

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Bull shit. 5200 is stronger and perfectly well suited for under waterline permanent install - such as embedding screws that hold trim tabs in thin FRP Yamaha transom.
You want holding power there not just sealant. There is virtually no way to through bolt or enforce that thin hull in those places - without cutting access ports.

The only problem with using 5200 in this particular application is getting it on all your tools and clothing, lol. Oh, and it will yellow over time especially of exposed to sunlight.

You know I don't make things up. 5200 is not recommend for metal to fiberglass by 3M. 4000 is recommended for metal to fiberglass by 3M. Of course, you can use whatever you like on your own boat. I am just against making recommendations that do not align with manufacturer guidelines to people that are not familiar with the products.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You know I don't make things up. 5200 is not recommend for metal to fiberglass by 3M. 4000 is recommended for metal to fiberglass by 3M. Of course, you can use whatever you like on your own boat. I am just against making recommendations that do not align with manufacturer guidelines to people that are not familiar with the products.
Dude this is getting absurd. Are you saying the 5200 should not be used for underwater installs involving screws in fiberglass?????

There is nothing wrong with using 4200, either, the 5200 has just been considered the strongest.

Yes, you can do it many different ways, we used to over drill and fill in with epoxy and redrill, in older “cored” hulls.

At the end of the day the (screw) size fit in the hole drilled to the exact size and chamfer, not trivial in FRP, is probably more important that what you embed it in, but I would strongly argue nothing beats 5200 here for setting the screws in. It is a permanent install.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I don't like sticking my head up from the trenches on this issue, but ever since we added a 28 Y.O. Sailboat to our fleet that needed rebedding of nearly everything on deck as well as sealing of a new transducer and a thruhull below the waterline, I will say there is a "time and place for everything". That being said...I used 5200 on my trim tab install on the Yamaha, per Lectrotab, never expecting to remove them. I hope I do not ever need to remove them. I used it as an adhesive more than a sealant. If I ever need to repair/replace I would most likely find a way to pull the hinge pin. I have not used 5200 for anything sealant or adhesive on the sailboat, I used 4200 once to do an interum repair to a chine on the swim platform when a dock hand lost control when he did not get a line on a cleat. Oh, I just remembered I drill my rudder in the fall to let the water drain out so it does not freeze/pop. I use fast cure 5200 to seal the hole before we splash it in Spring. It cures hard like the rudder. Other than that, I have been using Boat Life products mostly Life Seal because it is good below the waterline and with acrylic, stays flexible and can be removed if I need to. BOATLIFE Life Seal Sealant | West Marine They also make a different formula called Life Calk which is also rated below the waterline but not for contact with acrylic. It all depends on the intended use. I would hope that all people here would do their own research and consider the pros and cons, permanent or not, of whatever sealant or adhesive they use for the job requirements before them. As I said earlier...There is a time and a place for everything.

Edit: The service manager at the Marina who did the install of the Raymarine RV-200 thru hull transducer replied when I asked about choises of sealant. "Friends don't let friends use 5200". ;) You need to keep it away from the acrylic face of the transducer.

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Zeusmotorworks

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Coming from an aerospace manufacturing background (Rohr/HTA Aerostructures) and dealing with various aerodynamic seals, I see the concerns on both sides of the argument. You both have valid points. Also, if the company (Lectrotab) stands behind their product, you would have a legitimate complaint if their recommended product fails. However, I suspect the failure rate of using either product will be low for this application. Use what lets you sleep best at night.

The Good Guy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Not to derail this thread, but has anyone contacted Bennett Marine to inquire about tabs for the FSH?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not to derail this thread, but has anyone contacted Bennett Marine to inquire about tabs for the FSH?
19 and 21 hulls are the same, I think @ThatJeepGuy got the electric Bennett’s for his 240.

ThatJeepGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
19 and 21 hulls are the same, I think @ThatJeepGuy got the electric Bennett’s for his 240.

Yes I have the Bennett’s on my 240. We attempted to install on a 210 but with the swim deck being shorter the Bennett actuators were too long. We’re still looking into shorter actuators but also trying to stick to a low budget.

nofd843

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Does Lectrotabs have a specific kit for the 210 FSH yet? Or is it still by call?

Akagi1955

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Nice set-up. Thinking of adding trim tabs with ALC to my 2019 FSH 210. Picked her up last August and have about 25 hours on it. Very happy with it but definitely would benefit from tabs to compensate for shifting weight distribution. Have seen all your videos... very helpful. Sounds like Russ at Lectrotab can set me up with what I need. Thanks for the info!

Skroggy66

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Nice set-up. Thinking of adding trim tabs with ALC to my 2019 FSH 210. Picked her up last August and have about 25 hours on it. Very happy with it but definitely would benefit from tabs to compensate for shifting weight distribution. Have seen all your videos... very helpful. Sounds like Russ at Lectrotab can set me up with what I need. Thanks for the info!
They work great and the ALC works great. The biggest difference I see is when I go offshore. Russ is a great guy and a straight forward install.

Akagi1955

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks for the additional information... definitely will move ahead with this project in the spring when the boat comes out of storage! Will post pics when done!!

Akagi1955

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks for posting the pics. Looks great!

Ron Zimmerman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have the same tabs after a call to Russ. Installed last spring. Work great especially in the gulf.

Akagi1955

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks for the input... definitely the way I am going to go... this will be my 1st project when the boat comes out of storage in the spring!!

Ron Zimmerman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Make sure you look at @Foobar post. Very detailed and thorough.

R0B6

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@Foobar - May I get a copy of your order from Lectrotab? Wanting to get in on the group buy with your specs. Thanks