• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

212X vs 212S limited

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’m not a jet boat owner yet but making the switch from Sea Ray Sundeck to yamaha. Teenage kids looking to learn to wake surf and we ski and wakeboard.

Currently looking at 2 boats from 2017. 212X and 212 S limited. Looking to get details on the difference and which is more popular. Any help would be great.

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
2 Major differences. (I went through this myself and bought a Limited S)

212X adds these things over a 212 Ltd S
1. Ballast Tanks
2. Upgraded stereo and soundbar on tower
3. Different color options
4. There is some speed control thing the X has for better speed control I think, I am unclear on exactly how this works or what its actually called.

We absolutely LOVE our 212 Ltd S. I added an 800w 8 channel amp and subwoofer myself, never need ballast tanks and the speed control thing is something I never missed not having.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

1. Ballast Tanks
4. There is some speed control thing the X has for better speed control I think, I am unclear on exactly how this works or what its actually called.

We absolutely LOVE our 212 Ltd S. I added an 800w 8 channel amp and subwoofer myself, never need ballast tanks and the speed control thing is something I never missed not having.
Thanks

Whisky

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We went with the 212x. For us, we wanted to be able to do be more or less ready to go out of the box. The big things for us were the upgraded sound system and the factory ballast, sure, these things can be added, and perhaps better options chosen aftermarket, but we didn’t want to fuss with anything extra.

We wanted to get in and go, so the x was the best bet in our eyes

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There is lots written up here about wake surfing with these boats. I would explore that some. I don't wake surf and the kids never really got into skiiing and wakeboarding. So I have little to contribute of substance except to observe that some have been unhappy with the wake or mods required to do surfing properly. There are several mods that help to clean up the wake, but I think you will find several who will say ballast is required and that your expectations should not be the same as with a true surf boat.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for the detail and feedback. I’ll search the forum for topics

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I bought the 212X for pretty much the same reasons as @Whisky. that being said I’m upgrading the stereo from stock in any event.

The other thing you get with the X are the board racks. They are convenient as you can keep wakesurf and wakeboards (even skis) out of the boat.

Bacchus_fl

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

1. Ballast Tanks

I am buying a 212 Limited S this week. I will also add that the 212X includes the snap in seadek which was on the 212 limiteds in 17&18 but not this year for some silly reason. I’m going to buy them after market but that’s only $1k and the wet sounds stereo installed is another $2k+ Along with the ballast system and racks the $5k difference is justified I just don’t have a need for the ballast so I’m going to do the rest aftermarket on my own and maybe save a grand or two when it’s all said and done.

Would love to see pics of your stereo install. Sub and amp placement. Don’t want to highjack this thread so feel free to pm me. Thanks

Last edited:

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

1. Ballast Tanks

The "cruise control" feature below the connext wheel? I thought the 212 had that too.

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It is not on my 17 212 Ltd S

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Definitely on my 212X.

@Bacchus_fl, I’ll post pictures of the stereo install when done. I have all the pieces but have not done the install yet. Essentially I’m adding helm speakers, 2 more amps and a JL subwoofer and rewiring.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Whisky

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
As far as I know, the 212X doesn't get the full "cruise" treatment as it doesn't have e-throtles but it does have cruise assist and no wake mode which allow for stepped rpm adjustments.

At least that's how my 2017 is.

Thoughts on cruise assist.... I like it, I find it is an easy way once we are surfing to bump rpm up and down a bit to keep it in the sweet spot.

Of course, fully integrated cruise would be the cat's meow, and I fully hope to upgrade to RideSteady eventually, but until then, I get by with cruise assist.... It's definitely better than nothing!

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
As far as I know, the 212X doesn't get the full "cruise" treatment as it doesn't have e-throtles but it does have cruise assist and no wake mode which allow for stepped rpm adjustments.

At least that's how my 2017 is.

Thoughts on cruise assist.... I like it, I find it is an easy way once we are surfing to bump rpm up and down a bit to keep it in the sweet spot.

Of course, fully integrated cruise would be the cat's meow, and I fully hope to upgrade to RideSteady eventually, but until then, I get by with cruise assist.... It's definitely better than nothing!
Yeah that is the system I am referring to. I use it the most when in no wake zones or when cruising and getting the speed right where I want it. Used it a few times pulling a skier as well. Really enjoy having it.

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am looking into the limited S as well. Not going into for watersports so the X really isn't in the conversation. You can probably aftermarket part mod a limited S to an X level or even better with the price difference. From what I've read on wakesurfing one of the aftermarket products (wedge, booster, or the new TV product is a must along with additional (beyond stock) ballast. So no matter what you pick you are going to have to spend more to surf. Something to think about.

The Limited S has an RPM based cruise control which isn't ideal for watersports, but may get the job done on certain days. Not sure if the X has something different or the same. I know it's not as nice as the e throttle boats cruise control. You can invest in something like ridesteady for GPS controlled.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
FWIW...I had the snap in sea dek in my ‘17 for one season and it was a pain in comparison to the carpet in my ‘09. Water will get under that faux SeaDek and the only remedy to dry it is to continually remove the carpets. At the beginning of last year I installed permanent SeaDek and it was worth every penny.

As others have said the differences between the S and the X is the ballast tanks, stereo upgrade, and speed control. If you want them out of the box, the X is the way to go. Otherwise you can spend a few weekends on the boat and add those items.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
FWIW...I had the snap in sea dek in my ‘17 for one season and it was a pain in comparison to the carpet in my ‘09. Water will get under that faux SeaDek and the only remedy to dry it is to continually remove the carpets. At the beginning of last year I installed permanent SeaDek and it was worth every penny.

As others have said the differences between the S and the X is the ballast tanks, stereo upgrade, and speed control. If you want them out of the box, the X is the way to go. Otherwise you can spend a few weekends on the boat and add those items.
I have never had any issues with my snap in sea dek not drying out, that's interesting. But I do love being able to pull them out and scrub them out of the boat.