• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

242 Limited S with 27 hours, broken & vacation ruined....

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
At least with the boats you have some surface area on the water to slow you down if it happens. Usually does not give any warning. But, on a ski going 70 mph on a turn or trying any maneuvers, will shoot you without any brakes or turning capability forcing you to jump off the vessel. Its scary. Every Time I took a hard turn it went through my head that I may have to jump off.

JEvanoff

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sorry to hear your vacation got ruined. This, I believe, is a fluke. This engine has been used in these boats since 2010 and I have never heard of this. I did hear of this in the supercharged skis, but not in any boat. This is an oddity. Don't let this chance incident ruin your faith in Yamaha. Good luck and keep us posted. Also, ask them to take pictures when they break into it. Did they say it is the chain for sure or is this just the initial diagnosis?
I just spoke with the dealer, he said they will be tearing into it this week to see the exact damage. From there he will let me know what they find out. I explained my concern on the other engine in the fact I was worried it might fail also and he mentioned that they can look back on the production history of the chain and determine if the other motor has the same chain.

JEvanoff

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Also, see if Yamaha will pay for the boat to get towed to you. My father-in-law just bought a new 5th wheel. There were some things that needed repair. The dealer sent someone to pick it up and return it 250 miles away.
I would if I trusted the dealer here in Colorado. However, I purchased my 2004 from Vickery Motorsports here in Denver and it was an absolute nightmare. They knew nothing about the boat, didn't have a facility to service it, (repairs done outside) and couldn't even show me how to take down and put up the bimini.
We usually try to make it to Havasu once a year for vacation and Havasu Motorsports has so far been great. Since the dealer is so lousy out here, I feel more comfortable going out and test driving the boat after Havasu Powersports fixes it. I will ask the dealer if they have a return delivery program.
Thanks!

Last edited:

john94si

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Very common on the 14/15 supercharged skis.. hope not the 1.8 naturals.. best of luck to all of us then

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Very common on the 14/15 supercharged skis.. hope not the 1.8 naturals.. best of luck to all of us then
no kidding. There are a lot of 14/15 N/A 1.8's around here.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have had 4 Yamaha 1800 engines one supercharged but the 2010 210 hp model with 650 hours on it when I sold it. No issues to speak of I had a 2013 1800 with about 250 hours on it when it was hit on the interstate 2 years ago and totaled but the engine never gave me any problems and I currently own 2 1800 2014 models with about 300 hours each and no problems , I just wanted to give you my feedback on the engines they are the only ones I will buy, I beat the hell out of them. The nano hulls suck in my opinion but the engines and pumps are my favorite. Perhaps there was just a defect in the chain or some other issue that was unforeseen, I hope it all gets straightened out so you can save your boating season , sorry to hear about your troubles it really does sound like a real bad situation to have ruin your vacation. One thing I wanted to add about these engines, I never run them without a warm up period when I first put them in the water for the day, and at the end of the day I do run them for about 30 seconds on the trailer to get some of the salt water out of the exhaust BUT I NEVER EVER rev them up on the trailer I just let the engine idle and I cringe when I hear people rapping their 4 stroke engines out of the water, That practice can snap a chain or snag a valve real easily.
Thanks for sharing your experience and your insight @Cobra Jet Steering LLC ... I will no longer blip my revs when I evacuate the water after pulling the boat out.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Yamaha242lsdallas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Man, that sucks. Did you sell the boat after you got it back??
Nope, running great. I really was not worried about it happening again...until now with all the talk about it being a known issue. Now i feel a bit paranoid like maybe i should put in better timing chains but i'm sure that's a BIG project that would require removing the engines from the boat.

My hope is these issues are very few and far between, like was said before, the internet is a double edged sword..lots of info but it can come across one sided because people tend to talk about problems they have and don't post when all is well.

JEvanoff

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just got my boat back so I thought I would fill everyone in on the latest. Havasu Powersports seemed to have done a pretty good job as the boat runs good. From what I hear the reason for the long delay in the repair was Yamaha shipped Havasu Powersports the wrong head. It took a couple calls from me to get the ball rolling again as they told me "it was hung up in the que" whatever that means. I will say they left it clean, no grease, and nothing else broken! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is the last time she'll be in the repair shop, I hate being without a boat!