• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine Just quit

Yamaha242lsdallas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Had my first real issue yesterday that totally has me scratching my head - and sick to my stomach:

After a few hours of tubing and wakesurfing I ran about 5500 RPM's back to the dock when the starboard motor just flat out stopped, no alarms no noise that I could hear, my port engine went to almost idle but did not quit. I immediately turned off both keys and my first thought was one of the cleanout plugs had popped and triggered the kill switch. checked and nope. I then checked the cleanouts for sucked up rope or something, again nothing. I then checked the oil, both engines were right on full and the oil looked fine (114 hrs and was changed out at 10 and 50 hrs). I then tried to start the starboard engine and it cranked over very slowly and the low battery alarm went off. This was puzzling to me because i know both batteries have just been completely charged before leaving and the start batteries had very little use all day. I tried to start the port engine and it fired right up (no low battery alarm at all). I then try the starbrd motor again..same thing.

I figure it still may be just some rope deeper in where i cant see/feel. I'm only about 100 yrds from the dock so I go and put it on the trailer and pull it out. Take a light and crawl under the boat shine a light into the intake, nothing..clean as a whistle. No marks at all that something was in there and nothing wedged or wrapped around the shaft at all. The impeller blades all look brand new with no marks.

I get back on the boat and try to start, it turns over a little faster but still trips the low battery alarm and will not fire up at all. I even put the two batteries in parallel and the same result.

Anyone have any clue what could be wrong? It almost seems like some serious mechanical issue but I cant imagine what it could be or why it occurred. Other thought could be electrical.

I am bringing it in to the dealer tomorrow, I purchased the boat this month last year so I'm pretty sure the original warranty is still good on it (anyone know for sure if it runs out on the exact day or the same month?) I also purchased extended warranty (was not YES, forget the name but got it from the dealer and was suppose to have full coverage).

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had a similar issue that resulted in extremely rough running engines. I changed spark plugs and pulled the battery to get checked and it was good. Realized that when I pulled battery the connections were only weak finger tight. I cranked down and checked all connections and problem solved. Might start there...

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Check your battery connections and where the cables from the motors connect. I suspect you have a loose starboard connection between the battery and the engine.

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Be sure to double check all of your battery connections. We have had several people here with loose connections to the battery that would allow one engine to start and not the other. I would recommend completely disconnecting all wires from your batteries and then putting them back on to see if the problem goes away, gets worse or stays the same. If that doesn't work, then there could be some problems.

Good luck!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Can you see a gap between the impeller and the pump all the way around?

The impeller could be in a bind against the pump.

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow, 3 posts within a minute of each other all suggesting the same thing.... Hopefully that is your problem. Be sure to let us know.

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can you see a gap between the impeller and the pump all the way around?

The impeller could be in a bind against the pump.
X2... any strange noises?

Yamaha242lsdallas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Check your battery connections and where the cables from the motors connect. I suspect you have a loose starboard connection between the battery and the engine.
Thanks for the advice, would a loose battery connection cause the motor to just stop while its already running? I know they don't have alternators but I would still think they did not need battery power to keep them running after they were running already.

I did check the batteries but not on the engine side, I'll do that. I'm sure its obvious but just to make sure, where does the power from the batteries come into the engines?

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks for the advice, would a loose battery connection cause the motor to just stop while its already running? I know they don't have alternators but I would still think they did not need battery power to keep them running after they were running already.

I did check the batteries but not on the engine side, I'll do that. I'm sure its obvious but just to make sure, where does the power from the batteries come into the engines?
I am pretty confident a loose battery connection would cause your motor to shutdown, not sure the stator has enough output to keep the engine electronics running.

This is a good time to try @HELP" class="username--style9">@HELP
I got the help alert.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was witness to @jawsf16 's issue with the loose battery connection. Definitely check those battery connections.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
To me it sounds like your alternator isnt working efficiently on the starboard engine. Try to jump start it, and isolate it from the battery. If it continues to run, then your good, if it dies, then thats your problem. Thats my guess.

Yamaha242lsdallas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
X2... any strange noises?

First off all you guys are awesome for posting helpful info so quickly! Thanks!!!

and , no, no strange noises. but because its not firing up it seems to turn over more "smoothly" albeit slowly if that makes any sense.

Also as for the impeller, I did look for that and no, i can even wiggle ever so slightly the shaft and i do see daylight all the way around it.

I had also thought maybe it was the main bearing had seized but i don't think I would feel any play in the shaft at all if that was the case.

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm in with all the guys on the electrical issue theory then... check all the grounding points...

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I got the alert.. sounds like a loose wire to me as well. Check the connections at the starter. The vibrations can shake them loose .

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Make sure you check all the connections on any battery switches you might have. Here is a recent issue that seems similar to yours, https://jetboaters.net/threads/dead-starter.3183/page-2

Yamaha242lsdallas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
well, I feel kind of silly checking only the connections at the battery and not where it connects to the engines. I do feel a little better thinking its not some catastrophic engine failure and hope its just loose wiring. I'll be checking it tonight when i get home and report back.

Again thanks to all!

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Pretty soon we will be troubleshooting for each other real time via skype, google glass, and a tablet. :winkingthumbsup"

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
not sure the stator has enough output to keep the engine electronics running.
It better! If it didn't, that would cause steady drain on the battery with the engines running.