• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine Just quit

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sounds funny to me. All cylinders lost all compression at the same time with no apparent noise or cause. Loss of compression would be caused by rings, valves, cam shaft failure or hole in all pistons. All of those causes would create noise or symptoms. The only thing I can think of is a timing chain failure and I don't even know if the 1.8's use them. I'll be waiting to hear the cause.

Yamaha242lsdallas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I do recall them (they had me on speaker phone with the tech) saying the pistons were all moving but no compression. So maybe the head? I would have thought I would hear something..but it may be because its turning over to slowly.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I do recall them (they had me on speaker phone with the tech) saying the pistons were all moving but no compression. So maybe the head? I would have thought I would hear something..but it may be because its turning over to slowly.
I still have a hard time buying that one. You can compress air by swinging a tennis racket. I'll be hanging on this thread till the official word comes in. I will also keep my fingers crossed for you @Yamaha242lsdallas that Yamaha does the right thing to resolve this.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Seems like a warped head would do it. Is the YDIS going to show any overheats?

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Nope..never an overheat alarm. And my understanding is it would force you into limp mode if it was overheating, that's never happened.
I have heard and even repeated the same on the computer shutting down the engine but cannot find anything about it in the service manual so I am now unsure that such a thing exists.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The computer will drop an engine down to idle if it experiences an overheat condition. It's up to you to shut it down completely to avoid any damage. Yes, the YDS will show any overheat conditions in history.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Just a note Gym, but on my 2008 the computer did not store the overheat conditions in its history. Perhaps mine is just an odd one.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just a note Gym, but on my 2008 the computer did not store the overheat conditions in its history. Perhaps mine is just an odd one.
Interesting - My '09 stores 'em. It's got an overheat on each engine at about .6 hours or so. Apparently prior to my purchasing it (new leftover) because I never had an overheat. Must have happened during factory testing (?).

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
A few years ago I was having overheats that put me into limp mode. Sometimes 2 or 3 per day. None were ever stored. It is strange biglar because we have the same engine.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Tough news man.. My money is on its a timing issue. That would explain the hard to turn over as well as the no start. Best of luck.

Yamaha242lsdallas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Preliminary findings point to the timing chain. Will know more when they break the whole engine down in a few days. Seems like this is taking forever!

May be more damage as the result of the chain going out.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Preliminary findings point to the timing chain. Will know more when they break the whole engine down in a few days. Seems like this is taking forever!

May be more damage as the result of the chain going out.
I figured the timing chain was the culprit. The only way you would get 0 compression is if the pistons weren't moving at all. If the 1.8 is a 0 clearance engine the pistons will hit the valves when the timing chain breaks. I really hope Yamaha gives you a NEW engine under warranty rather than trying to repair this one. I'm just sorry you're loosing time on the water @Yamaha242lsdallas.

Yamaha242lsdallas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
  1. I figured the timing chain was the culprit. The only way you would get 0 compression is if the pistons weren't moving at all. If the 1.8 is a 0 clearance engine the pistons will hit the valves when the timing chain breaks. I really hope Yamaha gives you a NEW engine under warranty rather than trying to repair this one. I'm just sorry you're loosing time on the water @Yamaha242lsdallas.
From what I'm told the dealer tears down the whole engine and Yamaha has to send a rep out to survey the engine, they then grant a total replacement or whatever is needed.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Good luck on the repair and warranty. Like @buckbuck , I haven't heard of an internal engine issue on the 1.8L either. I haven't heard of many issues on the MR-1 for that matter that were similar, as in some kind of factory defect in a part like a timing chain. I haven't studied the service manual well enough to know, but this engine has a timing chain vs a timing belt? Either way, break it and the valve train will stop moving. But like @Gym and others have mentioned, it is hard to believe they can't get a compression reading on even a single cylinder. Once the chain or belt breaks, I would expect the valve train to stop, but not all go to the same position. It is a 4 stroke engine, therefore each valve train in each cylinder head has 4 distinct piston strokes..intake, compression, power, and exhaust, to complete one operating cycle of the valves. The piston however has to travel full length twice during that one cycle. It is hard to fathom that the disconnection of the two separate trains in the engine (broken timing), that at least one valve would not be stuck in the compression phase and all valves closed. Oh well, I only know enough to be dangerous. Keep us posted and keeping fingers crossed on the whole nine yards. Your in good hands at Phil Dill.

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Interesting reading, there is no way all four pots would register zero if the pistons were moving, even with a broken timing chain.
The dealer either fitted the compression tester wrong or the starters spinning but not turning the crank. Either way, I'd imagine you're defiantly covered under warranty IMO.

Yamaha242lsdallas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Update - the dealer took the motor out has it taken apart and it is in fact the timing chain. they said the engine did not show any signs of wear or stress but that the timing chain simply disintegrated. I'll be getting a whole new engine from Yamaha but the down side is the time I'll be out not able to boat.

Upside is Phil Dill has a good mechanic on it and wants to make sure its 100% before giving me back the boat.

I did find out that one cylinder had over 100 psi compression, another had around 30..the rest were 0. So that should help clear up some answers for you all.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
That is good news! At least the new motor. Reed Hill handles Phil Dill's warranty claims with Yamaha, and he is fantastic at his job! And Toby Blackney, the service manager, well, the service dept hasn't been so well run since I have known the dealership! Who is the tech on your boat? Ivan, Olin?