• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

242X? All in the numbers.....

Not sure when the guaranteed trade value promotion started but you would know you if you were in it. not every boat purchased during that promotion is covered by that you actually physically had to sign up for that promotion and take a 1% increase in interest rate to do so.

I'm gonna start this by saying I love my new AR240. That being said there is no way I would pay $70K plus for a Yamaha. Again they are great boats but the fit and finish just is not there to justify that price even with all the new upgrades. When I sit in my cousins Malibu I feel like I'm sitting in a Lexus or BMW its just that much better. I'd look at some other brands before dropping that kind of cash. The other manufacturers will deal a LOT on price so that $110,000 MSRP can easy come down to mid 70's.

I'm gonna start this by saying I love my new AR240. they are great boats but the fit and finish just is not there to justify that price even with all the new upgrades.
Hence the Paper Tornado

If you owe 9k on your boat after trade in value that'll just be added into the financing. So it would be like paying 81k for that boat that will probably be worth around 61k in under 5 years. That's 20k lost in just a few years. What happens when the next boat comes out that you want? Granted that's just some very rough math, but since you're financing you'll be so extremely backwards on what it's worth vs what you owe. Doesn't make sense to me. But to each their own!

I'd say keep what you have and spend the cash on the upgrades that you want. It might not add a lot to the resale value, but at least you won't be as backwards in your payments as a new 2016.

I'd look at some other brands before dropping that kind of cash. The other manufacturers will deal a LOT on price so that $110,000 MSRP can easy come down to mid 70's.

I agree 100%. Yamaha fills that all purpose boat category well, but I always thought value was the #1 selling point of Yamaha jetboats. Sadly, at $70k there is some stiff competition out there from Chaparral, Regal, Monterey, Bryant, Axis and others. That is a tough price point.

After reading this thread I feel compelled to comment on the fiscal conundrum.

First- my ADHD complies with the "shiny thing" obsession. I can't blame yo... Squirrel! For wanting the new toy.

That being said I would TRULY recommend looking at this from a bigger picture than just looking at your monthly note. That's an enormous loan to carry. Granted you've worked hard to become otherwise debt free and I'm quite sure that was done with diligent planning and hard work. Becoming that far in debt (almost instant 15% negative equity) is never a recommended practice.

If the boat you currently own absolutely will NOT fill your needs, even with some upgrades, I would definitely start by selling your boat out right. Trade-ins are only designed to make the dealer money, not you. I would put the boat on eBay with a high reserve and test the waters. You never have to sell below your reserve so it can't hurt. That being said people are looking for end of the season deals right now. It's not "spring fever" time.

Take your time. Buy, sell, or upgrade...but take your time. I remember my folks buying the house I grew up in for only $39k, and now we're getting boats for double that!! Geez, what's wrong with us.

Last edited:
I'll be the real bummer here and say that step 1 should be to take your extra cash and get yourself right side up on that loan. You'll be in a much better position to weigh your options rationally.

The new boats are not going away. Heck, you KNOW they will add even more features by 2017 - and hopefully have the bugs worked out. Then you'll want to upgrade again.

My 2 c on the matter.

As stated before in the thread, it is nice to own the new bling toy in town. The logic however must take some preference in the case.

If you currently have a 242 ls, not that much has changed to the new model. Couple of small things but same motors and same output.

If you add a perfect pass $ 1 100, ballast system with pumps and switches $ 800, new head unit and some nice speakers $ 600. Feel inclined to have the Bimini made bigger $200, TV-XL and Sea Deck to be fancy $ 1 000.

That gives you a total of $ 3700

Now you have a boat at almost the same spec as a new one and no additional debt.

The key is obviously to be debt free, and incurring interest bearing debt exacerbates the long term effect plus a longer period of settling liabilities. Just think of all the beer and bling you could buy with the interest on that deal alone.

Keep what you have and make it your own.

If you can afford it, and it is the boat that makes you happy, buy it! There is no way to put a price tag on happiness. Life is too short to let a balance sheet rule your world.

Since everyone seems offended by the 242x pricing, maybe that means I'll get a good deal. :)

Thanks for the responses, it's bullshit math, I know, but long shots keep it interesting.

"I know what they say, 'money can't buy everything', well maybe so, but it can buy me a BOAT"

And it can buy me a truck. It can buy me a Yeti 110 iced down with some silver bullets...

"I know what they say, 'money can't buy everything', well maybe so, but it can buy me a BOAT"
THANK YOU, Chris Janson ............lol !

Last edited:
Bobby Bones (THE face of Country Music on radio) discovered him on youtube. Made him World Class and took him to #1 in Country in 45 days.
http://www.bobbybones.com/main.html

You are gonna have a BLAST !
Make sure you scream for him to do "Buy Me a Pig" .. as 100's of there will tonight. (Not a joke).
http://securemedia.iheart.com/media...ault/chris_janson_-_our_song_0_1442316173.mp4
Mikey is BIG-TIME jealous of you. Pls come back and tell us 1) How he did ............
and B) Did ya go out and buy a boat ?
http://www.iheart.com/show/51-The-Bobby-Bones-Show-Highli/?episode_id=27339556
LOL - Sincere Best Wishes, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

I upgraded from paid off 2006 sx230 to a financed 2010 242 ls. The incremental cost to me was $20k, initially. I Justified it with the head compartment, bigger engines and better seating configuration. I've since paid off the loan an added another $3k to $5k in mods/upgrades (don't know exactly and don't want to). In retrospect, the new features of the 242 ls were NOT worth the incremental spend but that's just my two cents on the matter.

If you haven't already calculated the total financed cost maybe you should as it could change your final decision. Also I'm sure insurance will be a little more for a new boat and the annual luxury tax bill will be proportionally higher as well. Here in CA it is 1% of the purchase price and it never seems to change regardless of depreciation.

I upgraded from paid off 2006 sx230 to a financed 2010 242 ls. The incremental cost to me was $20k, initially. I Justified it with the head compartment, bigger engines and better seating configuration. I've since paid off the loan an added another $3k to $5k in mods/upgrades (don't know exactly and don't want to). In retrospect, the new features of the 242 ls were NOT worth the incremental spend but that's just my two cents on the matter.

If you haven't already calculated the total financed cost maybe you should as it could change your final decision. Also I'm sure insurance will be a little more for a new boat and the annual luxury tax bill will be proportionally higher as well. Here in CA it is 1% of the purchase price and it never seems to change regardless of depreciation.

Well that sucks!! I don't think that is a boat problem -- that's a "you need to move" problem!! sorry to hear bud

Well I presented my case to my wife and she gave me the ultimatum. We could seriously look into a 242x OR she'll get "enhancements".:thumbsup:

Easiest decision I've ever made! Just ordered SeaDek to spruce up the old boat.

Last edited:
Back