• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

242x Wakebooster Surf Setup

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Weight that you can ditch when done......no contest... Water ballast bags for me. Lead bags are for fine tuning. We carry 200 pounds and that is even awkward at times to move.

Last edited:

Five Faces

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That's what I thought, I wasn't sure if I was overlooking something. I'm downsizing from a 40' motor yacht so never thought to put fuel efficiency and boating in the same sentence. :)

I'm a big fan of saving time (which is money) so if I can set up lead ballast in a fraction of the time of setting up water ballast (especially when switching from regular to goofy) with the same end result I'd be willing to pay a few more $$$ in gas. I'm not saying this is the case, I have absolutely zero experience with either, so perhaps I should be stating that as a question???

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Also more weight can make things more difficult to load and unload the boat from the trailer depending on the slope of the ramp. In the case of our boat, the trailer is only rated about 300lbs over the weight of the boat with full fuel. So carrying 500lbs of steel/lead ballast in the boat while driving down the highway is just not an option.

From a dead stop to ready to surf, we're under 10 minutes with ballast bags filled and wakebooster installed.

One big advantage of lead/steel weights is you get a lot of weight without a lot of bulk. You can place a fair bit a weight in one spot without loosing much space.

Last edited:

Five Faces

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Also more weight can make things more difficult to load and unload the boat from the trailer depending on the slope of the ramp. In the case of our boat, the trailer is only rated about 300lbs over the weight of the boat with full fuel. So carrying 500lbs of steel/lead ballast in the boat while driving down the highway is just not an option.

From a dead stop to ready to surf, we're under 10 minutes with ballast bags filled and wakebooster installed.

One big advantage of lead/steel weights is you get a lot of weight without a lot of bulk. You can place a fair bit a weight in one spot without loosing much space.
10 minutes, that's not nearly as bad as I was envisioning. Do you switch from between regular and goofy?

Shady28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I should note that I don't trailer, we're on a 6k lift. So the steel weight is not an issue day to day and when I do trailer I remove all the weight. If I was trailering I might consider a ballast bag, but the trade off is space and placement flexibility.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
If you don't trailer daily and don't mind carrying the weight, then I agree, having 200-300 lbs of steel or lead you can quickly move around to adjust based on your passenger load makes a lot of sense.

How does one secure 600lbs of lead on the stern platform? I think I've seen pictures of that somewhere....

The switch from regular to goofy would be about 60 seconds for the wake booster, emptying the 650lb bag (about 3 mins) and refilling(about 4 mins)... we'll be doing that for the first time this weekend.

Shady28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I initially had that same concern, but the weight and seadek keep it from ever shifting. I still put the dry bag strap through the metal handle on the stern, but in over 30 outings I've never seen the bag move an inch.

Todd Kyle

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
going ropeless has many factors

1. type of board
2. size of rider
3. ability of rider
4. type of wave

If your 250# + you've got to hit on the board and the wave
if your rider is 85# or less only ability matters
anything in between is a just a guessing game
a good long board, rider ability and bad wave can equal ropeless
a great wave, short board and less rider ability will always have a rope involved