• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

25' Foot Boat Range

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Advance apologies if this subject has already been beat to death- but I have not seen it yet . . . .
When a lot of time and distance is spent at low speeds like 5 - 15 mph, in no-wake zones or cocktail cruising, etc, is there any fuel-consumption advantage to running on one engine instead of both ?
It seems intuitive that one engine at slow speeds would result in better mpg numbers; but is that true? Has anyone tried it ?
Haven't tried it but cutting thrust in half would likely mean speed is cut - due to less resistance at low speeds one engine would mean probably 1/3 loss of no wake speeds so maybe 5 down to 3.5 mph, and puttering around doesn't use much fuel - best mileage comes at idle speeds. At idle I can putter along all day and hardly use any fuel, about 30 miles with only 12 gals consumed over the course of 6 hours. Same applies to our old I/O drive where we could putter around all day and not use much fuel. And as someone else mentioned, perhaps less maneuvering control which could be the difference between a close call and an accident if you're not paying attention. Keep in mind that for fuel consumption numbers, a single supercharged engine uses about the same fuel as twin normally aspirated engines and gives similar performance in the 19 and 21 footers.

I wouldn't worry about it at all. Toodle around if you want, and crack it open when you want. The only time I would use one engine is during a failure and I have to limp back home. Something I do as well is start and stop in the same order to keep the hours meters the same...I'm a little OCD about stuff like that.
:D

MilesPrower

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Ok edit number 2 - page 66 is what my screen looks like. The pages you were referring to are for the 210 series which have tachs and a different display. Here's a screenshot of my manual and what I remember seeing:

View attachment 138433
Doh! I must've read the manual incorrectly, as I thought it was describing the screen for the 212 series. Sorry for getting your hopes up.

It's a shame that Yamaha chose to remove the option to display Gallons Used on the 212. If I didn't have that feature, I'd have range anxiety a couple hours after each fill-up, especially when I head offshore.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Doh! I must've read the manual incorrectly, as I thought it was describing the screen for the 212 series. Sorry for getting your hopes up.
Yeah shame on you for that! I got all amped up!
:D
It's a shame that Yamaha chose to remove the option to display Gallons Used on the 212. If I didn't have that feature, I'd have range anxiety a couple hours after each fill-up, especially when I head offshore.
It's ok, the option is still there, just under the Trip Info screen. After I get the chartplotter installed, I can change the Connext screen as I want.
:thumbsup: